Open Forum

View Only

Certification for Teaching HS theatre?

• 1.  Certification for Teaching HS theatre?

Posted 12-30-2014 16:06
    Hi! 

I've recently graduated with my BFA in Acting, and I eventually want to teach theatre in a high school setting. 

However, I'm very confused about certification. I understand that it varies state by state. But do you apply for teaching jobs BEFORE being certified, or are you able to be hired beforehand and then earn your certification? 

I understand that charter or private schools do not need certification, that it is usually for public schools. 

Any answers or advice would be very helpful! 

Thank you

-------------------------------------------
    Caroline Madden

• 2.  RE: Certification for Teaching HS theatre?

Posted 12-30-2014 18:56

As you stated, it varies state to state. I, too, graduated with a BFA in Theatre, and became a teacher. I went about being certified to teach Theatre in a round-about way because the opportunities that are available now weren't really available 12 years ago. I entered an alternative certification program that was offered in NYC, through which I became certified in Teaching English as a Second language. Upon becoming fully certified, I was offered the opportunity to become dually certified in Theater. I have heard of other alternative certification programs in NYC since then. There are also graduate programs that track you toward certification. I don't know where you are located, and what might be available in your state, or district. It might be a matter of taking a few exams for initial certification, or it might involve some coursework. The best place to find this out is from your local district, or wherever you'd like to work.
    Hugh Fletcher
    Performing Arts Coordinator
    IS 229 Dr. Roland Patterson Middle School
    Bronx NY

• 3.  RE: Certification for Teaching HS theatre?

Posted 12-30-2014 20:37
    I would go to the department of education for your state. You should be able to find the answers to your questions about the necessary requirements and any hoops you may have to jump through for your certification. You may also want to check to see if you are issued a straight certificate or if there is a probationary certificate before your normal certification. If there is you may be able to begin teaching while earning that.

I graduated with a BA in Theatre and went on to get my Master's in Education. It only took about 18 months (back-to-back classes nonstop) and I was able to get directly into the classroom without student teaching. I went in under the umbrella of "internship" but was in my own classroom, earning a full wage, and getting State retirement. I don't know if you can do that where you are but it is something to look into.

Do you have an old teacher or mentor who is in the system who can answer any questions for you? I know I love when my alumni come visit and I'm always happy to answer any questions for them if I can.

You may also want to check to see if you have enough credits in other subjects to become double certified.If you can then it might help you get your foot in the door. I'm double certified in Dance and Theatre and that has helped me keep a full time job in the past. I may have had a ridiculous number of rehearsals and performances but at least I got benefits and retirement while doing so. :)

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 4.  RE: Certification for Teaching HS theatre?

Posted 12-30-2014 21:10
    Thanks everyone!

I've talked to some of my old teachers, one got her Theatre Ed Masters at Emerson, the other was hired without a certificate and took classes in the evenings to get her license. This was in New Jersey. 

My family now lives in SC, but I want to relocate from here...just a matter of figuring out where I want to live, then I'll have to see about the state/school district's policies. :)

Caroline Madden

• 5.  RE: Certification for Teaching HS theatre?

Posted 12-31-2014 10:42
    I will tell you this... It is going to be extremely difficult to find a high school position first of all just teaching theatre and second if all with such a high degree as most states will have to pay you more and if there is a candidate with just a BA they are more likely to go with them. I know, you'd think experience and education would be valued, but not when it comes to the almighty dollar. And in most high schools you will be a department of one, so I hope you know all about sets, lighting, costumes, etc... You may also have to contend with a school with zero budget for your program. I also teach English and have built up from no class to four periods of drama, and I get paid a measly 800 more a year to do a drama club and productions. They give me zero for the club. Every dime is raised by the members. We do four productions a year. One big and three smaller. I never would have been hired though if I didn't also have English as a certification. I am definitely not saying your situation is impossible, but it will be a difficult road. Performing arts high schools and rich schools who can afford you are few and far between, but findable, sometimes. Usually in those schools, a drama teacher comes and stays forever. Hard to get the foot in the door. And I can't stress enough to take extreme measures to learn classroom management. High school kids, even drama kids (about half of which will only be in the class for an easy A) are difficult to manage. They must have boundaries. And know when you mean business. I am not trying to be a Debbie downer, just trying to give you a little reality dose. Life as a high school teacher in the arts is NOT easy. However, the rewards are extreme! And I'd never trade it for the world. ------------------------------------------- Randi Lundgren Tallahassee FL -------------------------------------------

• 6.  RE: Certification for Teaching HS theatre?

Posted 12-31-2014 11:37
    No Randi, thank you I appreciate this info.

I did not know about BA vs. BFA! 

I had considered doing dual English/Theatre certification but I'm not sure if it is the right fit for me. 

And you are right...the job market is tough enough as it is. Those who have the jobs in the school system are not going to be leaving anytime soon.

I've been thinking that maybe becoming a teaching artist through theater companies might be a better option at least at first.

Thank you

Caroline Madden

• 7.  RE: Certification for Teaching HS theatre?

Posted 12-31-2014 16:03
    Hi Carolyn,
    I highly recommend you get your certification first before your seek jobs.  Most search committees will only consider uncertified candidates if they can't find an acceptable certified applicant- it makes for extra work.  I've been on the search side of the process for a couple of positions and we didn't even read the apps that lacked  certification.

Many states have reciprocation agreements to accept certification from other states.  I would suggest you apply for your state certification where you did your schooling or where you plan to seek employment and go from there.  Good luck!

Rick Osann
    Theatre Teacher
    Standish ME

• 8.  RE:Certification for Teaching HS theatre?

Posted 12-30-2014 21:33
    You may want to start with where you want to live and go from there. I was born and raised in California and decided I wanted to teach high school theatre when I was 11, so everything I did along the way was with that goal. In California, there is no certification for theatre, it's covered under English. I got a degree in both, but as long as you could pass the test for English, you would be able to teach it. I was fortunate enough to be hired to teach while I was getting my credential, but that option has become increasingly rare I understand. My advice, apply to a teaching credential program that you like and start working toward it. If you decide to transfer or find a perfect job in another state, the courses will most likely transfer. If you get a credential in one state, it usually isn't difficult to get whatever supplemental course work you need for other states.

Heather Brandon
    Bakersfield CA

Sent via Higher Logic Mobile

• 9.  RE: Certification for Teaching HS theatre?

Posted 12-31-2014 04:13
    Another "it depends on the state" answer.  Definitely check the Department of Ed for your state, or the state you hope to work in.

In Oregon, you have to be certified to teach at all - subbing or anything.  I've been part of several hiring committees over the past couple of years and we wouldn't even interview someone if they didn't have a current Oregon certification.  We do have a theatre endorsement; when I was getting licensed it was a secondary endorsement which meant I had to have it in addition to something else; I've heard that since then they've changed it and you can now be licensed in whatever.

I would definitely recommend doing some practicum or job shadowing to A) make sure it's what you want to do and B) see what levels and subjects you might be interested in.  The more levels and subjects you're endorsed for, the more job opportunities there are.  And subbing middle school is WAY worse than teaching it, trust me ;-)

Laura Steenson
    Theatre Director
    Reynolds High School
    Troutdale OR

• 10.  RE: Certification for Teaching HS theatre?

Posted 12-31-2014 13:46
    Hi Caroline, Adding in to all this advice... Everyone is right and that means there are lots of pathways, depending on the state and the school. Here are a few things I've learned through my own experience and from others. If you really want to teach don't wait too long to get the education and experiences you need. Teaching as a drama teacher in a more traditional HS probably means getting a Masters in Teaching and some coursework for certification in another subject area. There are larger schools that have full-time theatre teachers but they are few and far between, and when they rehire they are probably going to look for someone with a track record of running a similar program. Working at a private or magnet school without certification is an option, but it usually means lower pay with that continuing limitation. Teaching through a theatre program is another good option, but that is also low pay. I'm glad that I got the education to be a fully certified teacher in two subjects (English and theatre). Many friends who pursued pro acting and directing careers tired of that life at some point. Some who wanted to move into education later found it very difficult. Prestigious private performing arts schools were very competitive with low pay, and they reached a time in life when going back to school was difficult for many reasons. But before you make that decision you need to know if that career is right for you. Observe, shadow, and talk to people. Professional theatre was not for me, and I loved teaching high school English and drama. It is a HARD job though! I found it to be at least a full time and a half job. I arrived at 6:30 am to get some planning done and left about 5:45 pm shortly after rehearsal. And on production days, I worked until about 11:00 pm. (This year is my first year after more than 25 that I'm teaching just English.) There are lots of ways to make a life with your skills, so check them all out. Just don't wait too long to get the education you need. Wishing you the best (and a great 2015), Barb ------------------------------------------- Barb Lachman Drama Director (former) Shoreline WA -------------------------------------------

• 11.  RE: Certification for Teaching HS theatre?

Posted 01-01-2015 10:16
    Good Morning!

I can only comment about here in Texas, which it sounds like is very different from other locations.

First becoming a teacher, here in Texas we have Alternative Certification Programs. You have a Bachelors, pay the money, take the classes, and pass your tests the state will license you once you find a job.

Programs:

I went to my first Thespian State festival and was shocked to see over 5000 kids there... as were my students, it was our first time attending the state convention.

Texas supports UIL One Act Play competitions much like football and other sports so it helps the schools to have theater programs, many of which produce outstanding theatre... one school in our district sells out an 840 theater @$15-$20/ticket. They have four full time theatre teachers.

My school is not so large a program we have myself, all but one class Technical Theater and one full load Acting teacher. We have a Drama Club of over 65 paid members and over 100 active members. We have one of the largest clubs on campus.

We are a large district with 10 High schools with over 3000 students each.

I spoke with a number of teachers in smaller districts that are an island. It is best if you know both acting and tech. 

I did not get hired as a theatre teacher, I was first hired as a Social Studies Teacher and worked my way into theatre.

I first started subbing and worked on making myself as marketable as possible.

I will be returning to school to get a Masters in Theatre Education to continue to make myself as marketable as possible.

I hope this helps.

Greg Alldredge
    Tech Theater Teacher
    Cypress Fairbanks ISD
    Cypress TX

• 12.  RE: Certification for Teaching HS theatre?

Posted 01-01-2015 10:18
    Lots of wise advice, meaning you've got a lot of sifting to do to work out which path to take. I agree that you are are not going to walk into a Theatre teacher job unless exceptionally lucky or have connections and/or lucky timing. I started off as an English teacher.

I got my BA in English and American Literature, following it up with a MA in Advanced Theatre Practice. I worked professionally for a while before bad choices caught up with me, and went into teaching without any 'certification' or education training, which is potentially harder or easier, depending on your viewpoint. Another 'depends on the state,' but I think it's worth pointing out that it also depends on the district as well! In my school district, it has it's own Alternative Certification Program, which allowed me to take District run courses through a crash course of Teacher Education units, allowing me to get hired on the strength of my BA and MA, with an agreement to earn my ACP within 3 years on a Temporary Teaching certificate before 'upgrading' to a Professional Teaching Certificate for the state of Florida. I took certification exams in English and Drama, and after four years, was given the Theatre sponsor/teacher job at my school. Which was nice.

I agree with others that you want to probably try to grab certifications that make sense to you. Within my first two years I fulfilled my 300 hours of ESOL requirements and got ESOL endorsed, as well as the 300 hours of Reading courses in order to be Reading endorsed. Just gives you extra options.

Good luck in your search! 

Phillip Goodchild
    Valrico FL

• 13.  RE: Certification for Teaching HS theatre?

Posted 01-03-2015 20:33
    Wow, I wish I could meet everyone who has contributed to this discussion. My story is yet another variation: I took an MFA in playwriting and pursued my writing career while working year round in the summer camp business. Along the way I started a community theatre for kids. It grew and grew. I left camping and became an "emergency substitute" in my local rural school district. The principal and superintendent invited me to start a drama class. I received a "conditional certificate" from the state. The district offered me an English class based on my BA in English. Eventually I took 10 months, starting in summer, and pursued a teaching certificate via Prescott College in AZ, which allowed me to do most of my work from home. The certificate was transferable to Washington State and the district hired me to teach both English and Drama full time.But it all started because of the youth theatre company I created in my "spare time" and still direct (www.communityshakespeare.org).

If you do theatre with young people and you are successful, someone will notice. There are many routes into schools, and many different kinds of schools. A certificate is a very handy thing, but ultimately not hard to acquire. Getting one sooner rather than later is good advice; they won't get any less expensive and the hoops you have to jump through will only get sillier, particularly in the public system.

You can do it for sure, and lots else along the way, because you are creative!  Happy journey,

Richard Carter
    Lopez Island WA

• 14.  RE: Certification for Teaching HS theatre?

Posted 07-22-2018 16:27
    Hello Caroline! I find myself in a somewhat similar situation that you were in four years ago. My name is Savannah Hard and I am a rising senior at the University of Virginia. I am majoring in drama and would like to teach theatre, but unfortunately we don't have a masters program. I feel a little stuck on what to do for certification/masters. I was wondering if these past years you have learned more about the process? Many thanks!

------------------------------
    Savannah Hard
    Fairfax VA

• 15.  RE: Certification for Teaching HS theatre?

Posted 07-23-2018 08:19

Savannah,

You have a few options, but the first thing you should do is go to UVA's college of education and talk to someone there about certification options. Curry is an outstanding program and one of the professors will be able to help you consider all that is available. 

General advice about licensure programs-

Alternative Certification/Fast Track Programs: There are a few of these for those who want to teach theatre. In a broad sense, alternative certification programs are built for high needs subject areas (ESL, science, mathematics, etc.) and theatre is not seen as an area where states are in desperate need of teachers.  This is not to say theatre programs of this variety do not exist; you just need to look for them. The strongest alt. cert. programs include a long-term residency requirement where you are in the classroom with a master teacher learning your craft. 

MA programs for certification- Usually take about 18 months and you will finish with a graduate degree. Much coursework can be done in evenings (residency programs) or online as those taking the classes generally have other employment- but this schedule is not a given. 

Post-Bac programs. - You can look at these as certification 'add-on' programs to your undergrad work.  The college will do a transcript review, figure out what courses you need to obtain state certification, and construct a program- including your clinical work- that will allow you to obtain licensure. Depending on how many liberal arts courses you took as an undergrad, these programs can take anywhere from 12-18 months, and if you want certification in another subject area other than theatre, possibly two years. The longer program- with coursework that allows you to certify in another subject area in addition to theatre-might be the best option. Having a teaching area on top of theatre (English, ESL, special education) makes you more marketable to schools/districts.

As many have said, it is essential to check your state's certification requirements. Some states, in the guise of 'opening access' to teaching, have cleared almost all requirements pertaining to actually finding out if you can teach from teacher preparation- all you have to do is take a test and- BOOM- you are a teacher. Others states have strong pedagogical requirements to ensure you know not only your subject area, but how to best facilitate learning with students of different ages. No matter what, look at your teacher preparation experience as one that best serves the students you will one day work with- not just what is most convenient to you.  

Finally, most states have a page on their State Department of Education/State School Board website that lists all traditional and alternative certification routes that are approved for licensure in your state. If you start here, you can find the programs first, then sort through them to see what schools offer what you need for your particular situation.  In VA go to: http://www.doe.virginia.gov/teaching/educator_preparation/college_programs/approved-teacher-ed-pgms.pdf. For those in other states, type "(your state) teacher licensure programs" into a search engine, find a link to your state page, and then look for a link to "Approved Teacher Licensure Programs."  The language is fairly similar across states.

I hope this helps. 

Suzanne Katz
    Washington DC

• 16.  RE: Certification for Teaching HS theatre?

Posted 07-24-2018 08:08
    I agree with all that has been posted - check with the state first and fill in with the necessary course work. Also I took the praxis for theatre and English.  I wanted to make sure that I was highly qualified and marketable.

Good luck!

Marla Blasko
    Director/Teacher Theatre Arts
    Long Reach High School
    Columbia, Maryland

• 17.  RE: Certification for Teaching HS theatre?

Posted 07-25-2018 07:59
    Savanna, if you plan to teach theatre in Virginia, the Praxis is not accepted. You must complete five specific classes to get a theatre endorsement alongside your English endorsement.  Ronda Scarrow at Longwood University has put together a series of 100% online classes to help those of us who need this certification.  The first two classes have been offered this summer and have been very helpful. The lessons are geared to what I need as a teacher rather than a general theatre course.  Ronda's hope is to eventually offer an online master's degree in theatre education!  Feel free to contact me if you want more info, or email rscarrow@longwood.edu.

Makala V. Witten
    Christiansburg High School
    Teacher, English 12 and Theatre
    Sponsor, International Thespian Troupe 3070
    Go Blue Demons!

• 18.  RE: Certification for Teaching HS theatre?

Posted 07-28-2018 21:14
    This thread is like, 4 years old! Where is the original poster, Caroline Madden, now??

Ms. Hard (awesome name, make it work for you), the consensus appears to be to first work out the approximate state you want to live in, and check out their department of education website. Great advice regarding going to your current university's college of education and seeking help there, too. 

Concurrent with that is that a lot of folks on here are also indicating that theatre education was their 'second' choice or something they worked themselves into. I would say, from scientifically gathered anecdotal evidence that this is true for about 74.6% of all theatre educators. In my case, I had a Masters in theatre and a BA in English and American Lit, and was an English teacher who was ready to quit when my department head told me I was the new theatre teacher. It was the best voluntold experience I've ever had. All that to say, be persistent, don't be afraid to move if you need to, but also don't be scared to stay in one place if you know something's in the wind. 

Best of luck as you try to figure out your next steps, Savannah!

And if anyone knows where Caroline is, let the rest of us know.

Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor

Etobicoke ON

• 19.  RE: Certification for Teaching HS theatre?

Posted 07-23-2018 09:51
    Caroline,

As many have said, it depends greatly on your state. Here is what I experienced in Tennessee:

I have a dual BS in Theatre Performance & Threatre Design and went on to earn an MFA in Theatre for Young Audiences (without certification) from Arizona State University. I elected not to opt for certification during my time at ASU because my main focus was not teaching in the school system. I moved back to Tennessee and a position came open at a high school for a full time theatre teacher (my school district has a full time theatre teacher at every high school). I emailed the principal directly and was very transparent about not having a teaching certificate but said I was interested in alternative certification. 

I was hired and took the necessary classes to be fully certified. I worked with a local university (coincidentally, it was the university I got my BS from). There were only 6 classes I needed to take to earn full certification but I elected to earn an additional masters for the pay boost (it was 4 more classes). On that note, most districts do give you more pay for a higher degree but it is very unlikely that they will differentiate between a BA and a BFA. As my school district would say, it's still just a bachelors. 

I can also say that depending on the state it can be difficult to be hired on an alternative license. I was up for a job in Kentucky and was passed over for a gym teacher who took the theatre praxis back in the 70s but had never taught theatre a day in her life. But since she had the certification they couldn't hire a person without it if someone with the credential applied. That's not how it happened at my school in Tennessee. My principal interviewed others who were certified but told the school district she wanted me because of my professional experience. 

All this is to say that there are several routes you can go. Unless you know that you want a graduate degree I wouldn't go to graduate school to get certified unless you can do it in conjunction with the program you select. I could have gotten a certification when I got my MFA. If you want to know more about programs please let me know! 

Cheers,
    -Riley

W. Riley Braem, M.F.A.
    Director of Theatre
    Theatre Teacher
    Northwest High School
    Clarksville, TN

• 20.  RE: Certification for Teaching HS theatre?

Posted 07-23-2018 13:48
    As everyone else has said, states differ.  I would caution you against taking more courses until you decide what state you want to teach in.  It might be better to add undergraduate education courses to your BFA, rather than go for a Master's degree, especially if you want to teach in a state that is not hiring as many folks with graduate degrees due to budgetary constraints.  Also, you might want to relocate to your preferred state before taking any courses, since the certification process is through universities in many states.

Before you make any decisions, Caroline, you might try working as a guest artist for your local community or professional theatre--even if you have to do it on a volunteer basis at first.  To be a really good teacher, you've got to be ready to step back out of the lights and let your students shine, and that is not what a BFA in Acting prepares you for.  If you can find real satisfaction in sharing your love of theatre by helping children learn and earn applause, teaching may be the career for you.  Then it's just a matter of finding out how to get certified wherever you want to teach.  

I am certified in both English and Theatre, and I taught both 12 of my 34 years in teaching.  I think it is a good idea to be certified in more than one area, but English is a hard subject to teach while directing shows.  So many essays to grade!!!     

C. J. Breland
    Asheville High School
    Asheville NC

• 21.  RE: Certification for Teaching HS theatre?

Posted 07-24-2018 17:22

Yes to all of the above!

You will *definitely* be more marketable if you are also certified to teach another subject, and are willing to be a slam-bang "other" teacher while you build the program at your school. I've heard **many** stories of teachers who went from only having a drama club while they taught a full load of /whatever else/ and eventually grew enough to teaching a full load of theatre only. 

So if at all possible, get your certification in whatever other subject you could enjoy teaching (it doesn't have to be English!) Do take the Praxis in both theatre and your core subject.

And as others have suggested, so spend some time shadowing - or even better, get a gig as a teaching artist so you have the chance to be in a classroom *teaching* so you can see what its like. Teaching is by far the hardest job I've ever had, so you need to make sure you're passionate about being a teacher. Its not like other day jobs where you can easily pursue your own acting career and "Just teach" as your day job. (Not saying that's what you're thinking, but just want to put that out there!)

Ashley Bishop
    Teacher
    Birmingham AL