Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Kids Shows

Posted 04-16-2019 09:13
    Hello Everyone,

I am considering having one or two of my students direct a kids show and one of our elementary schools. 

What is your favorite kids version show and why?

------------------------------
    Casey Worley
    Teacher
    Williamsburg James City County Public Schools
    Williamsburg VA

• 2.  RE: Kids Shows

Posted 04-17-2019 13:26
    Charlotte's Web is probably my all time favorite story. It teaches so many important lessons and deals with the death of a loved one in a sensitive but honest way.

I'm also considering this kind of assignment for next year. I might check with the elementary school teachers to ask how we may enhance their curriculum. What books are they teaching that have scripts that exist? Or can my students possibly adapt scripts from the stories their students are reading?

• 3.  RE: Kids Shows

Posted 04-17-2019 14:08
    Hello Casey, I have a wealth of information and great ideas for you regarding Children's Theatre scripts both to be performed for children or performed by children, including some audience participation scripts.  Were you referring to your High School students directing other high school students to perform for an elementary school audience or having you high school students direct elementary students? Would you like the performance to be a musical or play?  What size cast are you thinking of? Finally what limitation might you have regarding performance space (proscenium stage or gym floor in the round, set, props, and costumes? All of this information can help when selecting plays to read for selection.There are so many favorites out there, but answering these questions can help you narrow down a workable few that would allow the students who will be directing to choose a play they are excited about directing.

Other questions you might have would concern the best type of play for your audience. Do you want a play that tells a classic story the children will know? What units will the audience by studying, would you like to connect your choice to their unit content? 

I love Children's Theatre and my students perform yearly for children. Favorite plays include: Many Moons, The Clown's Play, Wiley and the Hairy Man, Androcles and the Lion, The Great Cross Country Race  and The House at Pooh Corner. For musicals, it is best to use the published Theatre for Young Audience versions of the more popular pieces like: James and the Giant Peach, A Year with Frog and Toad, or Seussical, but I also really like some of the new young audience pieces by R&H, especially Rapunzel, Rapunzel, A Very Hairy Fairy Tale. These musicals all have recorded accompaniment tracks and are just the right length for children, but meant to be performed by high school students or adults, so the music is still demanding.

I would be happy to be in touch if you would like to talk more about your project. I love Children's Theatre and performing for children and encouraging high school students to embrace the genre is really important. 

Jill Campbell
    Gifted Support/Learning Enrichment ARTsmART
    State High Thespian Troupe 5029
    State College Area High School
    State College, PA 16801
    jkc11@scasd.org
    (814) 231-4114

• 4.  RE: Kids Shows

Posted 04-18-2019 07:19
    This would be a slightly different direction, but a couple years ago, we did a Middle School Shakespeare festival. It took place on three outdoor "stages" in our elementary school (we're K-12), doing three short versions of R&J, Midsummer, and Much Ado. Each 30-40min, they ran three times in a row on one afternoon. Each had a different director and cast. A similar approach might be done if you'd like to get three HS students directing. Plus, you can add a fourth directing additional in-btw performance Ren Faire-style acts – jugglers, acrobats, dancers, etc. (Lots of young kids take lessons in some of these activities, so pulling in local dance or gymnastics teachers might be a good idea too. 

On a simpler note, we did a version of Dahl's "Fantastic Mr Fox" last year (again, MS, but could be done w ES too) that went over really well. 

Steven Slaughter
    English/Theatre
    Rosslyn Academy
    Nairobi, Kenya

"Be joyful, though you have considered all the facts." - W Berry

• 5.  RE: Kids Shows

Posted 04-22-2019 09:40
    We took an adaptation of "The Day the Crayons Quit," the children's book by Drew Daywalt to our elementary schools a couple of years ago in the spring, and it was a big hit. We were even invited back to one school the following fall to perform it again, to kick off their schoolwide reading program. It was a lot of fun.

Dianne Rowe
    Theatre Arts Teacher
    Junior Thespian Troupe 88177
    Berry Middle School
    bit.ly/BerryDrama
    Birmingham, AL