Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Question about religious objection

Posted 09-09-2018 20:49
    I was planning on producing "She Kills Monsters Young Explorers Edition" with my Advanced Drama Class this Winter.  It is good for them in so many ways.  However, I have one student who says he cannot be part of the show based on religious objections.  Basically, even though it is left a question whether Tilly is gay or straight in this version, he can't deal with the idea that it is on the table at all.  He says that "according to the Bible it's wrong".  I'm just kind of at a loss.  We are in rural Virginia, in a very conservative area, but I didn't expect this.  He feels like participating in the show in any way is condoning homosexuality and he would be sinning.  Suggestions?  I understand where he is coming from (I have a lot of family members with these same beliefs and background), but I also understand the very hurt feelings that many of my kids (some of them gay) have when he says these things.  He's a sweet kid, just never really considered an alternative viewpoint in any way.  And sheltered.  Any suggestions or help you can give would be appreciated.  We have already had several wonderful and very open discussions about everyone's views.  The question is what do I do now?  Do the show knowing this?  Pick something else?  Something I haven't thought of? 

Amy Neal Bussey
    Stuarts Draft High School
    Drama and English Teacher
    Theatre Program Director
    VHSL One-Act & Forensics Coach

• 2.  RE: Question about religious objection

Posted 09-09-2018 23:14
    I think that, in the end, the student's religious objections should be honored. However, I do not think that means you cannot do She Kills Monsters. Since this is a class, why not give the student an alternate assignment? I have done this in the past when students pose moral and/or religious objections to novels we read in English class.. I wouldn't choose a new novel for everyone to read because of one objection, and I think you shouldn't feel obligated to do so for a play either. Perhaps give this student a project where they plan and create a performance piece, or maybe a design concept for another show, and/or perform scenes/monologues from it.

------------------------------
    Christopher Hamilton
    Drama Teacher
    Kennewick WA

• 3.  RE: Question about religious objection

Posted 09-10-2018 08:54
    I'm sorry you have this to handle. There's no easy solution. I'm in a conservative district too, and had a sit-down with my principal once it was learned I was planning to work with "Almost, Maine" in my class. Maybe a good thing, as I have some students that might have reacted the same way that your young man did.

First, if you accommodate for this boy's objection, it could open a Pandora's box of similar woes down the road. You have the choice whether to give in to him or not.

Is the objection coming from him, his parents, or both? If it's just him, I'd check if his parents are on the same page - it might be they can help you create space for him.

Might also be a good idea to check with admin to see if they have any suggestions or advice.

If you do choose to accommodate, a solo performance piece might be a suitable replacement project, as long as he knows he's basically on his own to generate it.

Josh Kauffman
    Teacher
    Winfield AL

• 4.  RE: Question about religious objection

Posted 09-10-2018 08:58
    To be honest, I don't see you winning here. It sounds like that in your area, religion is going to trump everything else. Giving him a separate assignment isn't the same as performing. If he is just expressing his views I think you need to make sure that the students who are offended are just that, offended. The one student is entitled to his views also. You have to insure that there isn't any bullying on either side and it can come from either side.

You might make this a teaching moment (I hate that term!) and change the show. I love SKM but it's not for everyone. Talk to the students and tell them that you have to find something for everyone: boys, girls, age differences, sizes, etc. and religious objections. It's the same in auditioning: who works best for the part. There's lots of plays that they all could work on. You job is to maintain mutual respect and the ability to work together. 

As an out married gay teacher (now retired) I worked with gay, straight, trans, liberals, conservatives, Christian, Muslim, atheist, etc. We all worked together and I made sure that everyone was comfortable and felt honored and heard. Sometimes it was difficult for a student to understand that just because they were offended that some action should stop or be punished. We can have differences of opinion and still work together.

John Perry
    Retired Theatre Teacher

• 5.  RE: Question about religious objection

Posted 09-10-2018 09:29
    This is tough, for sure. My inclination is that if he doesn't want to participate, that is his right of course. He can decline to be involved. You should not change your plans. If he were objecting to black characters or Jewish characters you almost certainly wouldn't entertain picking new material. 

I say this with the knowledge that I work in a progressive community. My response to this student would be that we respect and support his religious convictions but he should not be disrespectful of his classmates. In your case, I encourage you to talk to your supervisor and make sure you have support.

William Addis
    Chair of Visual and Performing Arts
    Westtown School
    West Chester PA

• 6.  RE: Question about religious objection

Posted 09-10-2018 12:13
    I suggest looking at your school or district mission statement.  Do you have language about acceptance of students of diversity? These could help inform your discussion.  In the end, I would look for a way for the student to be a part of the production at least in the class learning experience, but not publically perform.  This way he can still be a part of the learning process of the show, but can also discuss other points of view all the while being allowed to hold to his religious convictions personally and publically. I would involve your administration immediately and get their view on the situation.
    Good Luck!

John Whapham
    Cincinnati OH

• 7.  RE: Question about religious objection

Posted 09-10-2018 12:23
    Amy, I would first say to definitely let you administration know of what's going on just in case he should talk to his parents as well. I would also agree with almost everyone that this in fact can be a very big learning opportunity for this setting. I myself am very religious in my faith but am a huge part of the Theatre scene around me and have many friends who are in fact lgbtq, and I will tell you we've had some long discussions of different things but the point we always come to is that even if our views on things are different we all can still work together. I've seen the show several time myself, if your student only has an issue of performing in the show what I would say is a very good area for him to participate in is the sound design of the show, it would very much allow him to take part but still be comfortable with his views. 
    If I can help at all please let me know!
    Good luck!

Brandon Lively
    OH

• 8.  RE: Question about religious objection

Posted 09-10-2018 12:56
    I agree. Do the play anyway and offer the student an alternate assignment. Make sure the alternate assignment is rigorous, but not punishing. Make sure your administration is looped in on this decision. Do not make a blanket offer to the class to step out of the show.
    I had a similar situation years ago when I produced the then-new Laramie Project. I had one student, a Mormon boy, refuse to do the show because it was against his religion.
    There was some push back from the administration and the community, but there was also unexpected support from other parts of the community.
    One note on She Kills Monsters: be very careful and specific when you block the fight that turns into a kiss. Keep it vague, and have it interrupted quickly.

Billy Houck
    Theatre Teacher, retired
    Carmichael, CA

• 9.  RE: Question about religious objection

Posted 09-10-2018 14:27
    I completely concur with Mr. Hamilton's remarks. I also think it is critical that you give admin. a head's up. If they are not supportive of your choice, then is doing it really worth it? Also, they need to be prepared for an angry parent phone call--better for you to have them already aware and prepared to support you. 

--
    Rosemary M. Milsap                    
    Cedar Shoals HS                                               
    Director, Cedar Theatre                                    
    milsapr@clarke.k12.ga.us                       
    706-546-5375  ext.21321