Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Shakespeare Course

Posted 01-24-2018 08:22
    I am offering a Shakespeare Honors Course as a drama elective next year and I am on the hunt for a high school level textbook on Shakespeare. Most of what I have found would be great supplemental readings but not necessarily appropriate for the high school level. Any suggestions out there? I'm looking for something that would help with understanding the language as well as staging since its a drama elective and not an English elective. 

Thanks!

------------------------------
    Ashlan Stephenson
    Drama Teacher
    Bishop England High School
    Charleston SC

• 2.  RE: Shakespeare Course

Posted 01-24-2018 09:40
    Creative Shakespeare: The Globe Education Guide to Practical Shakespeare by Fiona Banks is a really good option. You can find it on Amazon

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 3.  RE: Shakespeare Course

Posted 01-25-2018 07:04
    Try John Barton's Playing Shakespeare. 10 chapters, I think, each with a distinct focus like language, poetry, character, etc. Plus, a fabulous DVD with people like Judi Dench, Patrick Stuart, Trevor Nunn. It was a RSC workshop broadcast by the BBC. I first saw it in grad school in a Lit class. Fabulous resource. 

Elisabeth Ledwell
    Falmouth MA

• 4.  RE: Shakespeare Course

Posted 01-26-2018 10:28
    I use "How to Teach Your Children Shakespeare" by Ken Ludwig.  It is literally the process he used to teach Shakespeare to his own children.  It has an emphasis on memorization of passages with discussion and commentary on the context and importance of each passage. My students memorize 9-12 passages in a semester, varying in length and complexity from "Captain of our fairy band, Helena is here at hand. And the youth mistook by me, pleading for a lover's fee. Shall we their fond pageant see? Lord what fools these mortals be!" to Hamlet's "To be or not to be" soliloquy.

I use the text as lecture notes for lecture and discussion.

Josh Belk
    Director of Theatre
    Palmer Ridge High School
    Monument, CO