Open Forum

View Only

Shows with unique set requirements

• 1.  Shows with unique set requirements

Posted 12-11-2016 15:41

Hi, 

I am looking for a list of shows that have interesting or unique set or prop requirements. I am teaching a course in which the students learn the art of creative thinking in design. I want to challenge them with real life design problems. Things like making it rain on stage, set pieces that need to fall part night after night, etc. Any suggestions?  Thanks! I am excited for this course to get going, I think it will be a lot of fun. 

------------------------------
    Dan Mellitz
    Technical Director
    St Andrews School
    Barrington, RI

• 2.  RE: Shows with unique set requirements

Posted 12-12-2016 05:46
    Great idea! Try 39 Steps or Peter and the star catcher. We had great design talks about The Ash Girl and The Tempest, too.

Sent from my iPad

• 3.  RE: Shows with unique set requirements

Posted 12-13-2016 09:15

You might wish to consider, “Something’s Afoot,” by James McDonald, David Vos and Robert Gerlach.  It's a musical spoof on Agatha Christie's "Ten Little Indians" complete with stereotypical costume and prop accoutrements and many built in tricks required of the set.  Your student technicians would have a blast.  

I did "The Musical Comedy Murders of 1940" that had fewer set requirements, but it was a favorite of many of my students in their four years at high school (revolving bookcase and sliding bookcase secret passages escapes, blowing snow effect, secret bookshelve hidden access for backstabbing, chair with trick sword penetration).  Hilarious!

Wayne Kischer
    Emeritus Chapter director
    West Des Moines IA

• 4.  RE: Shows with unique set requirements

Posted 12-12-2016 08:05
    You can't get much more technically annoying than Into the woods.

--
    ~Sammie L Real iii

• 5.  RE: Shows with unique set requirements

Posted 12-12-2016 08:28

What a great idea!

The Coarse Acting Show has a vignette in which a table falls apart during the scene, and Mr Darcy comes in from the rain in Pride and Prejudice.

Laughter on the 23rd Floor has language that would be prohibitive, but requires a character to punch two holes in the wall, and for another character to look through from the other side. 

In Harvey, there is at least one instance where a chair moves on its own as Harvey passes by.

Dianne Rowe
    Birmingham AL

• 6.  RE: Shows with unique set requirements

Posted 12-12-2016 08:50

Some set conundrums we've worked on over the years:  

The trick chair and torture rack for The Addams Family.  Also--levitating Fester.  

The table that gets karate-chopped in The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee

The Rube Goldberg piece in the joke shop in Hairspray

The flame pit/chamber for the finale of Pippin

Creative substitutions for the water in Metamorphoses

Ruthie Tutterow
    Director of Fine and Performing Arts
    Greensboro Day School
    Greensboro NC

• 7.  RE: Shows with unique set requirements

Posted 12-12-2016 08:59

Dot's dress needs to open up so she can walk out of it in "Sunday in the Park with George."  

The play "Rounding Third" has a cellphone that needs to ring throughout the show but then gets smashed on stage at one point while it's ringing. 

In "Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson," Jackson's whole family gets shot by arrows on stage in the first scene.

Patrick McGuire
    Drama Director
    Round Lake High School
    Round Lake, IL

• 8.  RE: Shows with unique set requirements

Posted 12-12-2016 09:10

TITANIC-- I've been fascinated to see how different directors/designers stage the ship's descent.

Jim Colleran
    Tams-Witmark
    New York, NY
    www.tamswitmark.com

• 9.  RE: Shows with unique set requirements

Posted 12-12-2016 09:40
    SOMETHING'S AFOOT-a very clever musical that features an exploding cushion and poison darts!

Sent from my iPhone

• 10.  RE: Shows with unique set requirements

Posted 12-12-2016 09:47

Clybourne Park (watch out for language!) (the same set decades later that has become very run down)

Noises Off (rotating set)

Musical Comedy Murders of 1940 (with the swinging, sliding and rotating bookshelves)

Ghost Stories (saw this in London... not sure if you can get the script here but it was vary interesting...)

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 11.  RE: Shows with unique set requirements

Posted 12-12-2016 11:42

Here are a couple of challenges.

Wings by Arthur Kopit.  How to visually represent how Emily senses the world as a result of her stroke.  The entire environment onstage needs to  be shattered or disorganized and then slowly piece together.

Blithe Spirit by Noel Coward.  How to best represent the ghost temper tantrum at the end of the play

Ben Martin
    Executive Director
    Missouri Aliiance for Arts Education
    Lee's Summit MO

• 12.  RE: Shows with unique set requirements

Posted 12-12-2016 13:06

The one I'm currently struggling with now..."You Can't Take It With You" and the fireworks issue (small ones in pan in Act 1, scene 1, red glow at the end of scene 2, and major explosion at the end of Act 2).  Oh, and did I mention we're doing this in the thrust?  The different types of staging could be another aspect to challenge them.

Melissa Gibson
    Drama teacher
    Oak Harbor High School
    Oak Harbor WA

• 13.  RE: Shows with unique set requirements

Posted 12-12-2016 17:29

The Skin of Our Teeth by Thornton Wilder has a lot of challenges!  They actually describe the flats falling in!

110 in the Shade has rain on stage.

You could also include a play (Les Miserables) that has multiple locations (and the barricade!) and problem-solve how to do this. 

Break a leg!  Sounds like fun!

Andrea Rassler
    Concord NC

• 14.  RE: Shows with unique set requirements

Posted 12-12-2016 20:27

Eurydice by Sarah Ruhl. Needs a raining elevator. 

Raining elevator

Jake Dreiling
    Atlanta GA

• 15.  RE: Shows with unique set requirements

Posted 12-13-2016 08:11

James and the Giant Peach.  Inside the peach/outside the peach.  Peach growing.  Peach moving.  Peach flying.  Peach in water.  Peach atop the empire state building......

Ryan Moore
    Theatre Teacher and Forensics Coach
    Royal Oak MI

• 16.  RE: Shows with unique set requirements

Posted 12-13-2016 08:59

Something's Afoot - a couch that swallows people (i seem to recall) and a falling weapon that kills a character.

Skin of Our Teeth - Act 1 - Suburban New Jersey during the last Ice Age.  Act 2 - The Atlantic City Boardwalk before The Great Flood.  Act 3 - After the war.  (Pick one or pick them all)

The Secret Affairs of Mildred Wild - Movie sequences come out of her head in a NYC back apartment.  e.g. King Kong's hand breaks through a wall and grabs Mildred.

Have fun!

[William] [Myatt] [Director of Theatre]

[Pleasant Valley High School]

[myattw@pleasval.k12.ia.us][563-332-5151][Bettendorf][IA][USA]

• 17.  RE: Shows with unique set requirements

Posted 12-13-2016 19:44

"dead mans cell phone" - (language warning) character commits suicide by climbing into a working brick bar-b-que

Warren Kerr

Warren Kerr
    Theatre Arts Teacher
    Auburn School District
    Auburn WA

• 18.  RE: Shows with unique set requirements

Posted 12-13-2016 20:04

Metamorphoses by Mary Zimmerman. A collection of Greek myths that take place in and around a pool of water. The students could design for your theater or an outdoor space. If you wanted to get technical, you could dive into the weight of water and what would be needed to support it. Or you could just let their imaginations run wild. If you're not familiar with the play, do a google image search or a youtube search.

Ken Buswell
    Drama Teacher
    Peachtree City, GA
    http://mcintoshtheater.org/

• 19.  RE: Shows with unique set requirements

Posted 12-14-2016 03:42

Thanks for all the ideas! Some I think would have to w more conceptual, but I think there are a few we can actually tackle either small scale or full scale. Any others that are on the smaller side that we could actually build? I was thinking like the adding machines printer paper machine etc. 

Dan Mellitz
    Technical Director
    St Andrews School
    Barrington, RI

• 20.  RE: Shows with unique set requirements

Posted 12-14-2016 08:55

Good Morning,

A great show for creating interesting props and fx is Still Life with Iris.  It takes place in the imaginary world of Nocturno where things are made for the daytime word.  There are wind up bugs which need their spots painted on, a thunder bottling machine, flowers that go from unpainted to painted instantly, a giant sheLL etc. bIt was great fun creating all those things when we did the show.

Vici Anderson
    Theatre Director
    El Paso TXTheatre DirectorTheatre DirectorTheatre DirectorTheatre Director

• 21.  RE: Shows with unique set requirements

Posted 12-15-2016 03:01

Sweeney Todd.  Mechanical chair, traps, aerial delivery of the chair, lots of locations.  Great challenge!

Wizard of Oz.  Lots of locations, flying, pyro (or fake pyro). . .basically how to tell the story with a given budget.  Maybe have one group do it low budget and one group do it big budget, and see where they overlap.

Hope this helps :-)

Tracy Nunnally
    NIU - Professor/TD/Area Head
    Vertigo - Owner/System Designer
    ETCP Certified Rigger/Trainer
    DeKalb, Illinois

• 22.  RE: Shows with unique set requirements

Posted 12-20-2016 03:37

Alice in Wonderland - how does Alice fall down a rabbit hole?  How does she grow and shrink?  How does she cry a river of tears?  I bet you could actually tackle the growing and shrinking in class - creating items that can grown and shrink to make it look like Alice is bigger and/or smaller than she was.

Laura Steenson
    Theatre Director
    Reynolds High School
    Troutdale OR