Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Starting an Elementary School Drama Program

Posted 06-25-2015 04:24

This is my first year teaching and I have been blessed with the opportunity with starting a new theatre program at an elementary school. I have been doing researching and so far I have not found much. I am stuck on how I can split up the work amongst 7 different grades. I will be teaching K-6. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
    ------------------------------
    Berta Ordonez Cortes
    Drama Teacher
    Black Mountain Elementary School
    Scottsdale AZ

• 2.  RE: Starting an Elementary School Drama Program

Posted 06-26-2015 09:56

Congratulations!

I have taught Elementary Drama, AKA Creative Dramatics, for the last 14 years and I love it! Don't be afraid to overlap concepts between grade. The State of Texas has a breakdown of Essential Skills and Knowledge goals for K-12 Theatre that might be a good starting point for you.

http://ritter.tea.state.tx.us/rules/tac/ch117toc.html

Take a look at that and message me if you want more details on what I did in my classroom.

Best,

Matt

Matt Ludlam
    Owner/Instructor
    Ludlam Dramatics
    Flower Mound TX

• 3.  RE: Starting an Elementary School Drama Program

Posted 06-27-2015 13:45

First of all, I am so excited for your school! Every school should give these Elementary students the opportunity to expand their imagination, now more than ever!!

The absolute best website I have found is DramaNotebook.com! It is full of ideas, curriculum, simple plays, and creative Dramatics games. It does cost a little, but it is worth every penny! You will be able to plan your entire year!! 

Suzanne Craig
    HS Theatre Directory
    David Lipscomb High School
    Nashville TN

• 4.  RE: Starting an Elementary School Drama Program

Posted 06-26-2015 10:54

One resource you might check out is Matt Buchanan's ChildDrama.com site, where he has curriculum outlines for the entire spectrum from elementary through high school: Curriculum | Childdrama.com.

Good luck!

Cheers,
    Jonathan

Jonathan Dorf
    Playwright/ Co-founder of YouthPLAYS/ Co-chair of The Alliance Of Los Angeles Playwrights
    Los Angeles CA

• 5.  RE: Starting an Elementary School Drama Program

Posted 06-26-2015 13:15

I have been teaching k-8 theatre for eight years. I'd love to talk with you and help you out! I can give you some websites that have been a resource to me as well. Email me at mnorling@peoriaud.k12.az.us and we can chat. 

Liz Norling
    Glendale AZ

• 6.  RE: Starting an Elementary School Drama Program

Posted 07-03-2015 11:21

Definitely agree on overlapping concepts. I've been using the GCSE Drama explorations unit for my 5th and 6th graders, just adding in different skills and more complex subject matter. I try to theme the explorations around whatever they're learning about in their core academic subjects, so that they can enhance their understanding. (So last year, for instance, we did one exploration on bystander effect, one on the Golden Age of Piracy, one on the solar system, etc.)

Victoria Chatfield
    Executive Director
    National Theatre for Student Artists
    Brooklyn NY

• 7.  RE: Starting an Elementary School Drama Program

Posted 07-04-2015 11:44

Our school has had an elementary school theatre program for over 25 years.  I developed a lot of the curriculum along with my colleague that evolves from K through 5th grade.  I'm currently at the High School level, but I'm sure my colleague would be happy to help you out.  Cynthia Hechter's school email address is chechter@blakeschool.org.  She has detailed lesson plans for all of these grades.  Hope this helps. 

diane

Diane Landis
    Minneapolis MN