Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Musical suggestions

Posted 12-30-2020 20:45
    I have 5 guys and 20 girls.  1 of the guys is super talented 1 very good actor and 3 willing.  Girls are great.  We are at a Christian High School so have to be aware of some subjects but not overboard.

I've looked at what can be streamed if Spring comes to that, what would you choose?

------------------------------
    Melinda Carlson

• 2.  RE: Musical suggestions

Posted 12-31-2020 08:19
    We have about the same breakdown. One of our most successful shows was Chicago, but I'm guessing that may not be an option based on your school. I've also done Putnam County Spelling Bee (to which I added an ensemble and separated all the doubled parts), Pippin and Mamma Mia fairly successfully. We hoped to do 9 to 5 this year but it's not available to stream. Good luck!

Lindsay Hearn Brustein
    St. Stephen's Episcopal School
    Austin TX

• 3.  RE: Musical suggestions

Posted 01-04-2021 08:26
    Oh man, that's me every year. I've done Kiss Me, Kate with some girls playing pants roles, Urinetown (one guy has to be a really good tenor), Lucky Stiff with an expanded cast (so fun!), Pippin with a female leading player. Last year we piloted the school edition of The Hello Girls with that exact breakdown, and it was delightful. It was a great historical story with virtually no questionable material (just the tiniest smidge of language, but very mild) and AMAZING roles for women. Your main girl has to be banging (like full belt awesome), and your main guy has to be a really good actor but there's some flexibility with his singing. However, I'm not sure if it's available for streaming or at all. Contact @Jim Hoare at Theatrical Rights Worldwide for more info.​

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator

• 4.  RE: Musical suggestions

Posted 01-06-2021 09:59
    The Hello Girls looks like it requires several actresses that play instruments. Did you find a way around this or did you have the cast members that could pull that off?

Erin Philyaw

• 5.  RE: Musical suggestions

Posted 01-06-2021 10:10
    That's how it was done in the original production because they have crazy talented performers at Prospect Theater. In the license-able edition, actors do not have to play instruments. We just had a live band as usual.

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator

• 6.  RE: Musical suggestions

Posted 01-05-2021 12:20

I'm not sure about streaming but have you looked at Meet Me In St. Louis?  Sort of a hidden gem and yet most people are familiar with the movie and many of the songs from the show; "The Trolly Song," "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas" "Meet Me In St. Louis, Louis" "Skip to My Lou" and "The Boy Next Door" It used to be Tams Witmark so I assume it's Concord now 

It can be done with 5 guys to cover all the major speaking roles, one of which doesn't sing and only one one of which has to sing really well. Beyond that you need a trio of goofy guys in the chorus (to play Esther's terrible dance partners) and that's about it. The rest of your chorus could be girls. Meanwhile the show has a show stopping female lead (do you have a Judy Garland?) and 4 other major female roles all of whom have solos, plus two children (both girls). So it's a very strong girl show.

I produced it with great success back in the 90s. I didn't find it scenically that difficult (for a large scale musical) although it is a big costume show (Turn of the Century Americana) but if you have a good costumer, or a lot of stock from The Music Man, you should be fine. 

Though a few scenes take place at Christmas, it is not a Christmas show, and the material is SQUEAKY clean. About as wholesome American as you can get. I think it would be perfect for a Christian High School. 

John Monteverde
    Drama Teacher
    A3: The Academy of Arts & Academics
    Springfield, OR
    john.monteverde@springfield.k12.or.us