Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  The Secret Garden - Playscripts

Posted 04-02-2018 16:12

Wondering if anyone has produced the non-musical Playscripts version of "The Secret Garden"?  We are an ambitious middle school program, and I am wondering if the Playscripts version does justice to the story itself, and if there are any opinions revolving around its use at the middle school level?

------------------------------
    Mark Middlebrooks
    Specials Department Director
    Castle Pines CO

• 2.  RE: The Secret Garden - Playscripts

Posted 04-03-2018 07:11
    We did it. It is a great script, and I think your students will love it.

Steve Abaroa
    Highland High School

Sent from my iPad

• 3.  RE: The Secret Garden - Playscripts

Posted 04-03-2018 09:54
    We did The Secret Garden Musical-Pioneer Version last year. It was a great alternative to the original. We were set on it after seeing it at a college production and fell in love with the music but the royalties were too high for us so we found this alternate. The music is simpler, many of the male roles (Father, doctor) & Lila are much smaller. There is no love interest as in some versions: not with Dickon, Mary, Collin, or Dr. & Lila. There is also a non-Musical version. We too are advanced for a middle School but some years it is necessary to do a smaller version do to the group I have that year, or the expense as some costs are becoming beyond our reach. In addition to Secret Garden, in the past we have done: you’re a Good Man Charley Brown, Godspell, Annie Get your Gun, Li’l Abner, The Mystery is Edwin Drood!, Oz, Applause, and this year: Meet Me in St. Louis.

Maria Stadtmueller
    St. Augustine School
    Kendall Park, NJ

Sent from my iPhone

• 4.  RE: The Secret Garden - Playscripts

Posted 04-03-2018 10:14

Hi. I have never read Playscripts version but  would say if it is true to the novel, it is certainly a beautiful story about love, loss and healing. This could be the perfect message for many people right now. I think I might have to take a look at it. I have always wanted to direct the musical ( I was in the original B way company years ago) and love the book dearly. But I do not have all the trained voices in my small theatre program to pull it off. The play is a good idea. Let me know what you decide.

Teresa De Zarn 

Theatre Director

Archbishop McNicholas High School

513.231.3500 ext. 5137

513.231.1351--fax
    http://www.mcnhs.org

• 5.  RE: The Secret Garden - Playscripts

Posted 04-05-2018 00:34
    We are producing the non-musical version of The Secret Garden from Pioneer Drama by Tim Kelly at my high school right now. We needed something with simple sets since our budget and resources are very small and this worked for us. All the roles are pretty reasonable except for Mary -- she has 200 lines, so as long as you have a kid willing to take that on, it's worth it. Since we're doing it in high school, we have the kids pretending they are "fourteen" instead of "ten", because that wouldn't be believable, haha! :)

Ms. Jamie Scherer
    English Teacher
    Drama Club Advisor
    Dayton, NV