Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Short plays with strong avaunt guard blocking possibilities

Posted 07-20-2014 10:05
    I want to teach my students about using actors as mobile scenery and creating a complicated, moving, living set only with performers. Avaunt guard artsy stuff that I often don't get to in acting classes. I'd love 2-5 min plays I could have them perform on book with only a few characters speaking while the other 4-5 people in a group create the illusion of the scene around them. Any suggestions on where I can get such literature? Thanks! ------------------------------------------- Bryan Ringsted San Jose CA -------------------------------------------

• 2.  RE: Short plays with strong avaunt guard blocking possibilities

Posted 07-20-2014 13:45
    While this show is not in your time frame, I have successfully staged "Degas C'est Moi" by David Ives in this manner. Lots of creative, physical opportunities because of the multiple settings. ------------------------------------------- Jessica Harms Tewksbury Memorial High School Tewksbury MA -------------------------------------------

• 3.  RE: Short plays with strong avaunt guard blocking possibilities

Posted 07-20-2014 16:31
    I would look at doing scenes instead of full plays to create avant garde scenes.  That would keep your source material from being too limited and you can find some power work.

A lot of the classical plays work for this, the descriptive scenes from the Theban Triology or any of the other Greek Classics.

A few of the Shakespeare plays are in the same situation where a character is describing and you can do the action behind.

You can do this with poetry as well, poems like "The Raven" or "The Jabberwocky" lend themselves to some avant garde possibilities.

-------------------------------------------
    Alan Strait
    Teacher
    CCSD
    Henderson NV

• 4.  RE: Short plays with strong avaunt guard blocking possibilities

Posted 07-21-2014 07:41
    I love to use these two plays when exploring interesting blocking with scenes that flow in and out of different settings: Looking Out to See by Charles Way and This is the Rill Speaking by Lansford Wilson ------------------------------------------- Derek Anderson Teacher Calvert County Public Schools Owings MD -------------------------------------------

• 5.  RE: Short plays with strong avaunt guard blocking possibilities

Posted 07-21-2014 16:53
    It's not at all edgy, but it works really well, particularly as an introduction to the idea of using actors' bodies to create the scenery:  Little Red Riding Hood. 

I've used it broken down into:  Red's house, the "nice" forest, the forest turning "scary," Grandma's house/bed, the giant wolf (made of many actors) swallowing Grandma. They work first on creating the setting, then on using interesting movement to transition between scenes.  I have them brainstorm different ways of moving (sometimes with a mini introduction to Laban), then thinking about the mood of each type of movement and the desired mood of each transition.

Good luck!  This is always one of the students' favorite projects - I'm really excited to see other folks' ideas.

Kristin Hall
    Drama Director
    Lincoln Public Schools
    Arlington MA

• 6.  RE: Short plays with strong avaunt guard blocking possibilities

Posted 07-23-2014 15:06
    Arabian Nights by Dominic Cooke has that set up -- it is a full length play but is comprised of several short stories where the ensemble is able to portray the props and scenery, some by suggestion of the script but the possibilities for creativity are endless! We performed it last fall and the kids get really creative with their choices. The Mary Zimmerman version has the same opportunities. Let me know if you need more information. Good luck! ------------------------------------------- Cathy Swain-Abrams Teacher, Drama Director Olentangy Local School District Lewis Center OH -------------------------------------------

• 7.  RE: Short plays with strong avaunt guard blocking possibilities

Posted 08-17-2014 19:42
    Check out the collection of Beckett shorts.  So many possibilities!

Abra Chusid
    Theatre Director
    Buffalo Grove IL

• 8.  RE: Short plays with strong avaunt guard blocking possibilities

Posted 07-29-2016 00:25

I never said thanks, but THANKS!  

It's always hard to find these short bits of theater and your suggestions really helped.  I'm also using the same plays this year to teach how to act in the round and with a 3/4 thrust stage.

------------------------------
    Bryan Ringsted
    San Jose CA

• 9.  RE: Short plays with strong avaunt guard blocking possibilities

Posted 07-30-2016 13:04

Just remember, if you're doing anything beyond your proscenium, you have to keep the actors moving - audiences want to see faces so keep the actor's bottoms pointed to the  corners ( or whatever entry areas you're using)  and maintain a fluid, continuous sense of movement so no one has to watch an actor's behind for too long.

------------------------------
    Jeff Bengford
    Performing Arts Chair & Director, Westmont High School
    Campbell CA