Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Comedy for Fall 2020

Posted 01-26-2020 18:22

Hello Fellow Theatre Educators, 

I'm looking for a comedy that is somewhat challenging for my next fall show. I build my seasons around a theme, such as "Walk a Mile In Someone Else's Shoes." I want to develop my students' comedic skills and also present a show that will be entertaining but one that doesn't include "You Can't Take It With You," "Noises Off," or a Niel Simon work. Any recommendations? I was considering a show called Break A Leg, but it might not be as inclusive of all audiences understanding of the theatre. 

Thanks in advance for your help!

------------------------------
    Matthew Fauls-Rivas
    Theatre Arts Teacher
    Carlsbad, CA

• 2.  RE: Comedy for Fall 2020

Posted 01-26-2020 19:48
    We had a great time with Dearly Departed, but if you want challenging, try One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.  Both were hits for us.

K Lang
    Ticonderoga NY

• 3.  RE: Comedy for Fall 2020

Posted 02-03-2020 13:14
    We did Dearly Departed as well. My actor found it challenging. You have to find that sweet spot in being a true comedic character but also be authentic and believable.

Michaela Moore
    Juneau AK

• 4.  RE: Comedy for Fall 2020

Posted 01-27-2020 09:27
    If you want something that fits in with "Walk a mile in somebody else's shoes" look at Second Samuel - it's very funny, but also very moving with a relevant message.

Ken Buswell
    Drama Teacher
    Peachtree City, GA
    http://mcintoshtheater.org/

Theater kills ignorance

• 5.  RE: Comedy for Fall 2020

Posted 01-27-2020 12:27
    You could always do a strong classical comedy or something inspired by.  For example, Irwin and O'Donnell's "Scapin" is great ode to Moliere.  There is a modern version of Tartuffe called "Tartuffe: Born Again" where Tartuffe is a televangelist.  I did Tartuffe cut as a one-act and could've set it any time period I wanted.  These have clear comedic conventions and recognizable character types with room to play.

Joel King
    Woodstock GA

• 6.  RE: Comedy for Fall 2020

Posted 01-27-2020 15:33
    Look at The Musical Comedy Murders of 1940.

Challenge for tech and actors and loads of fun.

Sent from my iPhone

• 7.  RE: Comedy for Fall 2020

Posted 01-28-2020 11:41
    I second Musical Comedy Murders of 1940. It's still one of my favorite comedies. Loads of fun and a huge hit.

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 8.  RE: Comedy for Fall 2020

Posted 02-02-2020 22:41

A few years back we did "the confederation of radically altered people".  It's a show about people with garbage super powers that save the day.  It's got a lot of fun physical comedy and was a big time hit with my community.  

https://offthewallplays.com/2016/01/16/the-confederation-of-radically-altered-people-superhero-play-script/

Brent Holland
    Theatre Teacher
    Wilmington NC

• 9.  RE: Comedy for Fall 2020

Posted 02-03-2020 13:18
    One of the best comedies we ever did that could go with your theme is Auntie Mame (the play and not the musical). It was so much fun for students and audiences and a big challenge. It is also so endearing.

Michaela Moore
    Juneau AK