Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Instruments for a musical

Posted 04-28-2020 08:55
    HI All,

I've written a musical and getting an orchestrator, and before I do, wondering about the size of the orchestra.    I am contemplating using four pieces... piano, violin, cello, drums... or even no drums.... But wondering about the usual size of an orchestra in high schools.     If I added tuba and accordion, are they instruments that are hard to get players, and if they don't play on all the songs, should such instruments not be used?    What about making a really good CD of the piece and no live instruments?    Is that common in high schools and it makes it easier for rehearsals and you don't need a band.

------------------------------
    Leon Kaye
    Playwright for the Ages
    Lhk@koa1.com

• 2.  RE: Instruments for a musical

Posted 04-29-2020 12:23
    Orchestra sizes vary tremendously; there's no "right" size. Sometimes a small combo is perfectly fine...I've also had a student orchestra of almost 40.
    Note that many student musicians are not great at playing softly (especially brass), so unless your actors are properly mic'd, they can overpower the singers/lyrics.
    Don't skip on percussion; that's essential for keeping amateur singers on the beat.
    It doesn't matter if the musicians play all or only some of the numbers...as long as they can stay quiet and not distract during the numbers they're not in.
    A CD certainly makes it easier for rehearsals, and gives you better quality control, but it's a mixed bag for a performance.  It can work out fine, but if something goes awry, there's no way to vamp, or slow down, or jump a verse, etc. (Yes, some of the fancier systems, like RehearScore, have this capability, but they're not used in performance. I don't know if music from MTPit.com can be modified on the fly.)

Douglas "Chip" Rome
    Theatre Consultant
    Educational Stages
    Burke VA
    http://bit.ly/EdStages
    http://bit.ly/RWTEOview

• 3.  RE: Instruments for a musical

Posted 04-30-2020 09:39
    Hi,

As much as anything, what does the musical style call for in the way of instruments? "Messiah" can be recast with banjo and zither, but unlikely
    what Handel had in mind. Less common instruments, accordion, banjo, dobro, alto flute, for instance, can present a challenge for high schools in that instruments and players may not exist. Equally so, instrumental parts that are well above the playing level of secondary school students can create issues. This is equally true when you consider standard doublings common among professional woodwind instrumentalists, but uncommon at the high school level.

Keyboard patches can help so considering the use of programs like "Mainstage" can be a plus. You may find issues, however in that keyboard players who can read a musical score are becoming less common.

Back to the original question; what does the musical style require?

Thanks,

Dana

Dana Taylor
    Dana W. Taylor Consulting, LLC
    Evansville IN

• 4.  RE: Instruments for a musical

Posted 05-26-2020 15:02
    #Leon Kalayjian

I never choose a show that does not have instrument parts. Piano & drums are a must for me. Then These are the most common wind (Flute) & woodwind (Sax) that I use.

Maria Stadtmueller 
    St. Augustine School 
    Kendall Park, NJ

• 5.  RE: Instruments for a musical

Posted 05-26-2020 15:46
    Thanks Maria,  that was very helpful.  Leon

Leon Kaye
    Playwright for the Ages
    Lhk@koa1.com

• 6.  RE: Instruments for a musical

Posted 05-31-2020 23:25

We are a large school with a large music program.  Our instrumentalists are integral to our musical, and we are careful to choose shows that can showcase them just as much as the actors, singers, dancers and technicians.  We occasionally will do a smaller pit musical, but only every few years.  Typically, we do a fairly large pit to give as many students the opportunity to participate as possible.  Our percussionists are absolute key to our success, so I would agree to keep the percussion for sure.  I think accordion would be difficult for many schools to find. I hope you find that helpful!

Laura Steenson
    Theatre Director
    Reynolds High School
    Troutdale OR