Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Theatre Model Kits

Posted 06-19-2018 10:20

Hello,

Do any of you have a source or information on purchasing models kits of different types of theatre spaces? I.e. Greek Amphitheatre, Roman Coliseum, Globe Theatre, proscenium theatre, arena theatre, etc.  I'd like to have my students build models of these theatre spaces as a project.  OR do you have similar projects you do with your students that you would share with us on the forum?  I've found gingerbread theatres, cardboard cut-out, ect.

Thank you for your collective help with ideas.

Russ

Russ Saxton
    Dixie State University
    225 South 700 East
    Saint George, UT 84770
    cell 435-632-9241

• 2.  RE: Theatre Model Kits

Posted 06-19-2018 17:56
    You may know about this already, but there's a British business that makes cardboard cutouts of some historical buildings including the Globe, the Wanamaker Playhouse, and the Theatre Royal. Their web site is at
    http://home.clara.net/rogerpattenden/

------------------------------
    George F. Ledo
    Set designer
    www.setdesignandtech.wordpress.com
    www.georgefledo.net
    http://astore.amazon.com/sdtbookstore-20

• 3.  RE: Theatre Model Kits

Posted 06-20-2018 01:26
    This is a neat idea. Have you given any thoughts to seeking out someone with a 3-d printer? Or does that defeat the purpose? 

Just wondering. 

Kind Regards, 

Jared

Jared Wright
    Thomaston GA

• 4.  RE: Theatre Model Kits

Posted 06-21-2018 11:11
    I think the 3D printer idea would be a great idea.  We have a 3D printer in my school.  But, I believe to make a 3D model you first must have a design or plot to print from.  Is this correct?  If so, how would students make these?  Thanks for any follow up.  
    Russ

Russell Saxton
    Theatre Instructor
    Dixie State University
    St George UT

• 5.  RE: Theatre Model Kits

Posted 06-21-2018 13:06
    Correct - you need a model (a file) first, so someone has to do the research, draw the pieces in 3D, and make a printable file. So you need a 3D drawing program and then a way to convert the file into a printable format such as STL.

Thee are lots of programs out there that can do this, and some are more cumbersome than others. I don't know if the free version of SketchUp can export to STL, but the professional version does it directly. I created a specialty hinge a few days ago in SketchUp, exported it to an STL file, and sent it to Shapeways (an online 3D printing service) to print out.

George F. Ledo
    Set designer
    www.setdesignandtech.wordpress.com
    www.georgefledo.net
    http://astore.amazon.com/sdtbookstore-20

• 6.  RE: Theatre Model Kits

Posted 06-22-2018 13:43
    I have found several theatre model kits on etsy.  They are great!  Inexpensive, and you download the file and then have permission to copy as many times as you like, so it makes it very affordable for a whole class to do a model.  Then print on heavy cardstock.  It's a great way to introduce set model making for tech students too!

Here's an example of one on etsy:

Spanish style theatre

Jeana Whitaker
    Theatre Director
    Mesa AZ