Open Forum

View Only

Scene Shop

• 1.  Scene Shop

Posted 03-22-2018 11:32
    In July, we will moving into a brand spanking new high school that includes a new auditorium and scene shop. My current school does not have a scene shop. Rather we use the construction classes and teacher to build our sets. My question is what are the "must-haves" to include on my wish list for power and hand tools to create AWESOME sets and props?

Sent from my iPhone

• 2.  RE: Scene Shop

Posted 03-22-2018 12:20
    Cordless drill/screwdrivers (Dewalt is my brand of choice)! As many as you can afford - it's the one thing I wish we had more of when we are building and striking our sets.

A Table saw is incredibly useful. Handheld circular/skill saw, if you don't have the budget and also for the odd job that won't fit on the table saw.

Miter saw (also called a chop saw).

If you can afford a band saw, great, but handheld jigsaws are essential for more detailed cut jobs.

There are plenty of other things on my wish list, like belt sander, sawz-all, and drill press, but they're not strictly necessary.

------------------------------
    Josh Kauffman
    Teacher
    Winfield AL

• 3.  RE: Scene Shop

Posted 03-22-2018 13:14

You're probably going to get a lot of tool lists here, which is great, so I'll go in a slightly different direction regarding a scene shop:

First, to end up with AWESOME sets and props, first you'll need AWESOME designs.  :-)

Now, in addition to the tools, I would suggest a resource library. I did a post on this here a few months ago: https://www.schooltheatre.org/communities/community-home/digestviewer/viewthread?GroupId=133&MessageKey=faa4c083-1a62-4a28-bdd0-b1e323c88583&CommunityKey=35d3756e-031c-447e-a020-14aeb57718f1&tab=digestviewer

The post did not cover woodworking books and magazines (my bad). Personally, I thought I knew a lot about woodworking after college and grad school, but found out how wrong I was later, and especially at a professional scene shop. Magazines like Fine Woodworking, Shop Notes, Woodsmith, Workbench, Popular Woodworking, and others, have tons of information on tools, tricks of the trade, jigs, safety, and many other topics. You can go to your local Barnes and Noble or another large bookstore, check some out, and see which ones you like.

Another item for the shop is a file with all the instruction manuals that come with the tools. One shop had them, sorted out, in three large loose-leaf binders, and others have them in file folders. Either way works.

Finally (for this post, anyway), is a file of MSDSs (Material Safety Data Sheets) for the materials and products you use. You can generally download these from the manufacturers' websites.

Finally (finally), make sure your students know about, and know how to use, all these resources. It'll help them tremendously later if they decide to pursue tech theater.

George F. Ledo
    Set designer
    www.setdesignandtech.wordpress.com
    www.georgefledo.net
    http://astore.amazon.com/sdtbookstore-20

• 4.  RE: Scene Shop

Posted 03-23-2018 07:18
    I think a lot depends on your budget.  When it comes to table saws I believe all schools should have sawstop Saws. These are designed with safety in mind and stop instantly the moment they detect anything related to human skin touching the blade. 

Panel saws are a bit pricey but once you have them you notice how useful they actually are. These help you cut large sheet goods down to size a bit easier. 

Bandsaws to me are are super useful. There are so many times I wish my current shop had one. They are great for cutting details and smaller items and shapes that even a Jigsaw can't gsndle because of the vibration.  

All the other main main tools people mention add are all essential too. Just spend the money on quality because students will abuse them no matter how hard you try to avoid it. Especially the drills.  

Belt sanders are also also an essential.  Make sure you get all the bone power tool items too like hammers, levels, right angles, tape measures, etc.

Dan Mellitz
    Technical Director
    St Andrews School
    Barrington, RI
    Www.techiegreenroom.com

• 5.  RE: Scene Shop

Posted 03-23-2018 07:39
    ​LABEL MAKER!  STORAGE TUBS!  Keep everything organized from the get-go, so you don't end up with the mess I have - a five gallon bucket filled with screws that may or may not be useable!
    Have a place for each tool, label it, and make sure everything ends up right where it belongs.
    Also, get sharpies in your school colors, and write your school's name on EVERY tool.  We have many parent volunteers who bring their own tools in.  This way, we know what is ours.

Amber Hugus
    Harmony PA

• 6.  RE: Scene Shop

Posted 03-23-2018 08:01
    Not a power tool but don't forget one or two pair of saw horses for cutting, assembly and painting.

Duane Siewert
    Set Design and Construction
    Rossford High School
    Rossford, OH

• 7.  RE: Scene Shop

Posted 03-23-2018 09:14
    It's very exciting to have a new scene shop and auditorium! Congrats!

I second the importance of a panel saw. It makes crisp perpendicular cuts in sheet goods easy and safe and fast, and that's terrific.

I want to say a few words about how to organize your space.

I hope you have a garage type door open to the outside, so that materials can come in one side of the shop and leave as finished scenery at the other end onto the stage.

If not, there may be a lot of carrying things back and forth, and folks getting in each other's way.

Try to see the plans and the space before it's finished. Ask about maintenance of tools and systems, if there are any.

Make sure you have enough electrical outlets.

Our county installed a very expensive dust collection system, then abandoned it when they decided that maintenance costs were too high.

There are lovely portable dust collection systems, but I really mourn the loss of floor space the abandoned system takes up..

You need safety equipment to protect eyes, hearing, and breathing. Get it all, and maintain it properly.

Avoid storing anything in the scene shop that is finished, except on a very temporary basis.

Get a really good storage system for wood and sheet goods.

Enjoy and good luck!

Nathan Rosen
    Columbia, MD
    www.atholtondrama.org

• 8.  RE: Scene Shop

Posted 03-23-2018 11:57
    Just out of curiosity I just googled "scene shop tools" and a whole slew of articles came up, including a safety manual (PDF) put out by Bucknell University.

Amazing what you can find online!

George F. Ledo
    Set designer
    www.setdesignandtech.wordpress.com
    www.georgefledo.net
    http://astore.amazon.com/sdtbookstore-20

• 9.  RE: Scene Shop

Posted 03-23-2018 12:09
      |   view attached
    One must-have - Safety Rules.

I'm not a safety expert, but here's (attached) a list of general rules list I've used before.  I've left it in Word - feel free to adapt it to suit your unique situation.  I also have a safety manual you can use that has tear out pages (see my signature).

Beth Rand, EBMS
    Lighting Designer
    School Theatre Operations Coach

Next HIGH SCHOOL THEATRE MANAGEMENT ONLINE COURSE for Drama Teachers: Spring Session closed. Summer session starts June 4th.

NEW SERVICE: REP PLOT DESIGN - Never have to re-hang and re-focus all your lights again! (Can be accomplished remotely if you're not in the Boulder/Denver area.)

Author of "HIGH SCHOOL THEATRE OPERATIONS" and "HIGH SCHOOL THEATRE SAFETY MANUAL" and several more books at http://www.presett.org/helpful-books-for-you.html.

www.PRESETT.org
    Westminster, CO

Attachment(s)

• 10.  RE: Scene Shop

Posted 03-23-2018 17:35
    A lot of good advice out there so far, and yes, we all have tool lists.

For me, the most useful thing in our shop is this big 6 x 12 foot layout table we have.  It is a wonderful thing.  We have a scene shop/combo costume shop-- not ideal from a dust management standpoint, but we recently built a sewing center that accommodates two machines and has placement for a cutting table, steamer, etc... so fantastic in many ways.

I guess, my point here is to just meet with your students.... research some shop designs and sketch up your space.... how do you want the work to flow?  do you want to use metal, so a welding station is needed, or do you want to focus in the use of wood, so dust collection will be a big need?  what will your show budgets be like?  

Start by asking questions; develop lists-- go from there.

Most of all a shop is changeable and re-workable so don't be afraid to move stuff around and reinvent as needed.

It is an exciting journey and I'm positive you will enjoy your new space.

Michael Johnson
    Trinity NC

• 11.  RE: Scene Shop

Posted 03-28-2018 12:07
    All the tool suggestions have been very thorough so far.  Make sure you have extra blades for any saws, driver and drill bits, safety equipment.  When our school bought tools for our career academies, they spent the whole budget on <g class="gr_ gr_436 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Punctuation only-del replaceWithoutSep" id="436" data-gr-id="436">tools,</g> but did not purchase the <g class="gr_ gr_375 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" id="375" data-gr-id="375">expendables</g> to make the tools useful. (or safety equipment.) They sit in a cabinet unless I borrow them for a strike.   I would also add racks for <g class="gr_ gr_1395 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Style multiReplace" id="1395" data-gr-id="1395">lumber / plywood</g> storage and painting supplies. 

Other ideas to consider:
    Multiple tape measures 
    carpenter squares
    speed squares
    Drywall square
    torpedo levels
    4' Level
    extension cords
    Wet/Dry Vac
    Broom
    Push Brooms
    Dust Pans
    cold chisel
    wood chisels
    lockable storage 
    Prybars
    Wrecking bar
    Clamps

Kevin Gose
    Theater Teacher
    "Jack of All Trades"
    "Man of Action / Man of Fashion"
    Louisville KY

• 12.  RE: Scene Shop

Posted 03-29-2018 11:56

All good suggestions so far.  I'd like to add a couple things:

1.  If you add lumber shelving, or any kind of shelving/storage, put in a maintenance request to have your maintenance department do the work.  Make sure they anchor the shelves to a wall to keep them from tipping, so if a student climbs on the shelving it won't tip.  Also, the district should pay for any permanent upgrade.  If there's ever a shelving collapse, the maintenance department is responsible, not you. 
    2. For tool management, invest in as many tool boxes as you have groups working on projects.  Spray paint the tool boxes different colors, and every tool that is in the box should have the same color paint on the handle, or somewhere on the tool.  Laminate and tape a list of tools inside the lid of the tool box, and check to make sure every group has a full tool box when they start working, and when they quit for the day.  It's really easy to check your tools that way.  Usually, a student will unthinkingly walk off with a tape measure on his/her belt, or a crescent wrench in a pocket, and this is a good way to get the tools back in the tool boxes before they leave.  It's also a good way to identify tools that might be "borrowed" by maintenance, custodial staff, or administrators.  All larger tools should have a "Theatre Dept" logo stenciled on the tool.  I used to visit with the maintenance department weekly just to hang out.  I was also looking around the office for any of my tools.  I was happy to lend tools, and that helped create a really good relationship between the theatre department and maintenance.
    3. Make sure you keep safety tests on file so if a student is injured, you have a record that they did know correct procedure.  I insisted on students scoring 100% on safety tests before they could work on projects.
    If you would like an "Organizing Your Backstage Areas and Basic Backstage Safety" handout I use in workshops, please let me know and I'll be happy to send you a copy as an attachment.

Bob Fowler

Co-Developer:  Practical Technical Theatre Instructional Programs

Bob@InteractiveEducationalVideo.com

• 13.  RE: Scene Shop

Posted 03-29-2018 12:02
    MAN OH MAN!!!  Ya'll have  set me up!!! THANK YOU ALL for your AWESOME responses!!!  I'll let you know what we get and send some pics.

Max Dashner
    Director/Drama Teacher
    Decatur AL