Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  water in beer cans

Posted 08-01-2014 22:33
    does anybody know where I can purchase authentic beer cans filled with water? ------------------------------------------- Chris Fallows Director Brentwood CA -------------------------------------------

• 2.  RE: water in beer cans

Posted 08-03-2014 00:01
    I don't know if anyone makes something like that, but I came across this interesting blog post about ways of creating a beer can prop: http://www.props.eric-hart.com/how-to/faking-a-beer-can/ ------------------------------------------- Brooke Pierce New York NY Sympathy Jones, the New Secret Agent Musical (www.sympathyjones.com) -------------------------------------------

• 3.  RE: water in beer cans

Posted 08-04-2014 10:31
    I have used the paper wraps around soda cans. The sound of a soda can opening is closer to the beer can sound than a water can is. The only negative is that the paper gets a little funny if it gets wet. We tried cutting up the real beer cans, but there were too many rough edges. ------------------------------------------- Robert DiMartino Theatre Teacher Cumberland High School West Warwick RI -------------------------------------------

• 4.  RE: water in beer cans

Posted 08-04-2014 12:53

This is very close to the method that I used with great success. The version was from a book on prop building (can't remember which one, it's at school and at home), in which you don't cut off the bottom but only slice it up the side and fit it down on the soda can - it's a tight fit, but works. And use clear tape down the slice.
    -------------------------------------------
    Phillip Rayher
    Director, Theatre Dept.
    Ruth Asawa San Francisco School of the Arts
    San Francisco CA

• 5.  RE: water in beer cans

Posted 08-03-2014 10:08
    I'm not sure about purchasing them pre made but in the past, we have bought cans of water/sprite (and I guess now you could do tea so it would look dark) and printed off our own labels to wrap around the cans. You can print them onto 8.5x11 sheets of sticker paper and just cover the pre-existing label. And of you do that, you can create your own beer brands!! If you don't want to print them yourself, some of the paper companies like Peartree greetings print off bottle labels. (I've ordered from Peartree and their stuff is beautiful and high quality. And they usually have discount codes on the website).

I haven't tried it yet but I wonder if you could puncture a tiny hole at the top of the can, close to the lip to drain it and then use a syringe to refill them with water and put a small piece of tape over the hole. Just a thought.

Wishing you the best of luck!!!!

Elise Shuford
    Cumming GA

• 6.  RE: water in beer cans

Posted 08-04-2014 14:19

I was speaking of the method Brooke discussed. An exacto knife did the cutting of the current thin aluminum cans. I wish I could remember the prop book I found it in. Pop of the opening of the can was great!
    Phillip Rayher
    Director, Theatre Dept.
    Ruth Asawa San Francisco School of the Arts
    San Francisco CA