Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Steel Magnolias

Posted 08-12-2021 11:49
    Would anyone who had running water in Truvy's salon be willing to share how you accomplished that element of your production?
    We are hoping to have running water in the shampoo sink, but could use some successful tips on how to make that happen.
    If you are willing, please forward information, your diagrams and/or water line instructions to mollohak@wcsoh.org
    My Tech Director and I would be so appreciative! Thanks y'all! 

--
    Kim Mollohan 
    Westerville North High School
    Athletic Secretary
    WNHS Theatre Director
    614-797-6240

• 2.  RE: Steel Magnolias

Posted 08-13-2021 07:29
    We had running water on our set for "The Diary of Anne Frank". We ran a hose from our shop to the onstage sink and had a trash can underneath, hidden by the counter. One of our ASM's jobs was to dump the water during intermission and after the show. It was so easy and the audiences were completely mesmerized.

------------------------------
    Michael Bergman
    Retired Teacher/Director
    He/Him/His pronouns
    Alexandria, VA

• 3.  RE: Steel Magnolias

Posted 08-13-2021 12:11
    We did a similar effect for The Boys Next Door.  I don't remember how long the water needs to run in Steel Mags but it was very short in Boys.

We used a hudson sprayer (like the kind you use for spraying weeds), and we were able to find the adapters to connect it to the plumbing for the sink on stage.  To drain we just had a bucket full of sponges under the sink.  It was pretty simple. All the connections were easy threaded connections, so no soldering at all.  Just had to make sure to fill and then pump up the hudson before the act started. We would get 3-4 minutes of running water.

Josh Belk
    Director of Theatre
    Palmer Ridge High School

• 4.  RE: Steel Magnolias

Posted 08-17-2021 00:37
    We had running water from the sink for Crimes of the Heart, and it was really simple to do.  We put a 2-gallon sprayer you pump up manually under the sink and attached it to the faucet.  We put a 5-gallon bucket under the sink drain.  

One quick warning.  Make sure the person who fills the sprayer doesn't fill it past the fill line.  There needs to be enough space for the air you are pumping in.

CJ Breland
    Retired Theatre Arts Educator

• 5.  RE: Steel Magnolias

Posted 08-20-2021 09:35
    We used two five gallon buckets, one with the water and one to catch the water. I believe I spent $15 total for the effect.

Crit Fisher
    Lighting/Sound Designer
    New Albany High School