Open Forum

View Only

5 Fifth - work load

• 1.  5 Fifth - work load

Posted 10-18-2017 18:20
    Our school is in the process of assessing our work load.  I would love to know:
    1) How many classes do you teach (what is a full time load)?
    2) Do you receive stipends for directing shows (what is that based on (hours, number of students)?
    3) Are you required to proctor lunch
    4) Are you required to proctor for absentee teachers
    5) Are you required to proctor school dances or events?

--
    Ted Curry
    St. Ignatius College Preparatory
    2001 37th Avenue
    San Francisco, CA 94116

• 2.  RE: 5 Fifth - work load

Posted 10-18-2017 21:22
    1. I used to teach four classes a day (but sixteen different classes a week, since our performing arts classes only met on a weekly basis).

2. I did not receive a stipend for directing shows.

3. I was required to proctor lunch. I had six 30-minute proctoring blocks per week (including four breakfast duties and two lunch duties).

4. I was required to fill in for absentee teachers. However, our Assistant Dean of Students was the first line of defense for absentee coverage. If she had reached her quota (or if the Dean of Students was absent that day), we would be called to cover based on what other teaching responsibilities we had that day. Our school never hired substitute teachers; we did all of our absentee coverages in-house.

5. We were required to proctor a few events every year, like the all-school talent show. However, there was an average of only 1-2 of those per semester.

------------------------------
    Victoria Chatfield
    Executive Director
    National Theatre for Student Artists
    www.nationalstudenttheatre.org
    vchatfield@nationalstudenttheatre.org

• 3.  RE: 5 Fifth - work load

Posted 10-19-2017 06:25
    ​Our school is in the process of assessing our work load.  I would love to know:

1) How many classes do you teach (what is a full time load)? 5 or 6 Classes
    2) Do you receive stipends for directing shows (what is that based on (hours, number of students)? only musical
    3) Are you required to proctor lunch yes
    4) Are you required to proctor for absentee teachers yes
    5) Are you required to proctor school dances or events? no but encouraged

Michael Stofko
    Teacher
    Wilkes Barre PA

• 4.  RE: 5 Fifth - work load

Posted 10-20-2017 05:52
    I teach 3 academic classes and four to five once a week double periods of drama and film. I am paid like a Varsity coach for each production. No to proctoring lunch. Yes to dances and substituting for other teachers.

Sent from my iPad

• 5.  RE: 5 Fifth - work load

Posted 10-20-2017 07:17
    1) How many classes do you teach (what is a full time load)? 6 Classes
    2) Do you receive stipends for directing shows (what is that based on (hours, number of students)? only a local supplement for afterschool activities.
    3) Are you required to proctor lunch? yes (AND Morning duty)
    4) Are you required to proctor for absentee teachers? Encouraged
    5) Are you required to proctor school dances or events? Encouraged

I hope this helps you!  :)

Toni Jarvis
    Valdosta GA

• 6.  RE: 5 Fifth - work load

Posted 10-20-2017 10:12
    ​I teach 5 classes, which is considered a full load. However, only three are drama classes. The other two are credit recovery classes.
    I receive a stipend for up to three shows a year. It is a small percentage of my salary per show, which after taxes (taken at a higher than normal rate for "bonuses") works out to about $600 per show.
    We have duty-free lunch in our district.
    We can sub for absent teachers, but are not required to do so unless there are not enough district subs. We get $35 per class.
    We are required to do three extra duty events, usually our choice. Mine is drama club, and then two others.

Ellen Di Filippo
    Tracy CA

• 7.  RE: 5 Fifth - work load

Posted 10-19-2017 07:35
         I teach 5 classes out of a six period day.  Each class is about 60 minutes.  My instructional planning time is about 60 minutes.  As I teach at a charter school, the admin determines what a full time load is.  When I was in public school, you were considered full time if you taught three classes (out of four) per day.

2) Do you receive stipends for directing shows (what is that based on (hours, number of students)?
        Traditionally I have received a stipend for my theater involvement.  They moved me to that after I cleaned up doing the contact student hours formula.  

Thankfully, not any more!  In the regular school systems, yes, lots of the time.  It was hard to get get a time to eat if you didn't have 3rd block planning.

Sometimes.  My current school tires to avoid that, but it still does happen from time to time.  In a regular system, oh yeah.  You covered for absent teachers ALL THE TIME, especially if you had an early planning period.  Because I taught in an auditorium there, I would often have classes dumped on me from everywhere because I had the room.  Strangely, admins were hard to get a hold of during these time periods.

Thankfully this has always been voluntary.  I have heard of other schools where they require a certain number of events.  Since I have been involved in one way or another in nearly every event since I started teaching, that hasn't been an issue for me.

DavidWard
    Mt. HollyNC

• 8.  RE: 5 Fifth - work load

Posted 10-23-2017 12:31
        6 classes out of 7 period day

My contract is for Speech teacher/Coach. We are also involved in Forensics. 
        My stipend is contingent on attending 8 speech tournaments. 
        We have spoken with our supervisor and she has agreed that productions could equal to tournaments.
        5 tournaments + 3 productions.  (One Act night, Mystery Dinner, Spring Musical)

3) Are you required to proctor lunch?
        Yes, we are required a number of minutes for duty time.

4) Are you required to proctor for absentee teachers?
        Only if asked by the teacher or if an emergency occurs.

Not required unless you planned or organized the event.

Erika Trahan
    Kaplan LA

• 9.  RE: 5 Fifth - work load

Posted 10-19-2017 07:50

I teach six classes with six preps. Five classes is considered a full load.

I receive a stipend of 9% of base salary. I earn it with the first play I direct/produce per year. I do not get additional money for additional activities. Our supplemental contracts are archaic

Teachers who teach five classes are required to have a duty period which might include proctoring a lunch period.

No. We receive a $15.00 bonus per period if we do.

Encouraged? Yes. Required? No.  It used to be that one administrator attended each school event but that must have been policy and not requirement because it does not always happen now.

--
    Mark A. Zimmerman
    Theatre Director,

Akron School for the Arts
    Firestone High School
    470 Castle Blvd
    Akron, Ohio 44313

330-761-3275

FirestoneTheatre.com

• 10.  RE: 5 Fifth - work load

Posted 10-19-2017 08:34

I teach 6 periods a day. However, 5 of my 6 classes are layered so I really teach 11 classes a day. 

Yes. I have no Earthly idea how they come up with the amount of the stipend. 

No. 

No.

5) Are you required to proctor school dances/events. 

No, but encouraged. For us, doing this counts towards our professionalism score which goes towards our overall teacher evaluation. 

Cheers,
    -Riley

W. Riley Braem, M.F.A.
    Director of Theatre
    Theatre Teacher
    Northwest High School
    Clarksville, TN

• 11.  RE: 5 Fifth - work load

Posted 10-21-2017 01:57
    work load.  I would love to know:
    1) How many classes do you teach (what is a full time load?
    I teach 5 classes with 5 different preps. A full time load is 5 classes, but most teachers only have a workload of a max of 2 preps.

I receive a small stipend for running "drama club" but so does other performing arts teachers. I do not receive a stipend for directing after school productions, but it is expected. 

No

Not expected, but it is often asked of me to do so.

We Are required to "volunteer" to help with one activity per semester, in addition to open house, freshmen night, and teacher conferences. 

Jeana Whitaker
    Theatre Director
    Mesa AZ

• 12.  RE: 5 Fifth - work load

Posted 10-19-2017 09:01
    1) How many classes do you teach (what is a full time load)? 6 Courses (4 units of Theatre 1, 1 unit of Theatre 2, 3 Honors and 4 Honors, and 1 unit of Musical Theatre)
    2) Do you receive stipends for directing shows (what is that based on (hours, number of students)? I receive 1 $900 stipend for a fall production. (I do 5-7 productions per year, so...) I'm not sure what it's based off of.
    3) Are you required to proctor lunch? Only the students who remain in my room.
    4) Are you required to proctor for absentee teachers? Not required, but they often ask.
    5) Are you required to proctor school dances or events? No, but we are encouraged to volunteer.

Heather Cribbs
    Theatre Director
    New Smyrna Beach High School
    New Smyrna Beach, FL

• 13.  RE: 5 Fifth - work load

Posted 10-19-2017 09:06
    Our "work load" consists of teaching 5 periods/classes (out of an 8 period day--periods are 50 minutes), overseeing one period of study hall/lunch duty/office coverage.  One lunch period and one prep period.  We have hired substitute teachers, but if we are short, the school secretary sends out a call for help and someone usually steps up to volunteer coverage (if that doesn't happen, an administrator covers the class).  

As far as directing plays, this falls into the realm of the athletic/activities director and is handled as all of the other coaching positions.  Each position is evaluated and worth a certain number of "units" based on time with students, time with parents, other responsibilities related to that coaching assignment.   Each unit is worth a $$ amount--say about $300 to start.  (The amount increases with the years of experience doing that coaching job up to a maximum of 13 years of credit.  Then the amount no longer increases.)  I receive 5 units for all of the fall semester productions (at least one large one or several smaller ones) and 6 units for the spring semester as this usually is when the musical is.  (I'm not sure how many units the football coach gets.) My assistants for the musical also get units, ​a lesser amount, as I am there for all rehearsals and am the one parents contact, whereas the choreographer may be there 2 nights a week, and the vocal director one night a week, etc. 

Hope that helps.

Holly Thompson
    Worthington OH

• 14.  RE: 5 Fifth - work load

Posted 10-20-2017 07:48
    I forgot to add that we are required to chaperone two events a year. These are include dances, the talent show and a e student section of a few  select football games which are against true "rival" teams where administration feels things might get a little out of hand. Chaperone duties do not include choir/band/orchestra concerts or plays.

Holly Thompson
    Worthington OH

• 15.  RE: 5 Fifth - work load

Posted 10-19-2017 09:09
    A full-time teaching load is four classes. I teach three with release time for department chair work. 

I do not. Our students are required to do an after-school co-curricular (sports, robotics, dance, play). Every faculty member participates in these, so my directing fulfills that requirement. 

No.

No. 

Yes, although that is because we are a boarding school. Every full-time faculty member has residential life responsibilities. 

William Addis
    Chair of Visual and Performing Arts
    Westtown School
    West Chester PA

• 16.  RE: 5 Fifth - work load

Posted 10-19-2017 09:33
    I teach 6 classes out of 7 periods. One period is for planning
    I receive a stipend for after-school work. It is in our union contract.
    No lunch proctoring.
    No sub proctoring.
    No dance, athletic, etc. proctoring.

John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 17.  RE: 5 Fifth - work load

Posted 10-19-2017 11:02
    I teach 5 class periods out of 6, (one is for prep) which is considered a full load. I have two Drama classes, one advanced, and one beginning, but they are during the same period. The other classes are English classes. In all, I have 5 preps.

I do, but I am not exactly sure what it is based on. It is in our union contract. For it, I am expected to do 2-3 productions a year, which I do.  It gets split up into my paychecks over 10 months (I don't get it for July or August)

Nope, but kids eat in my room anyway. Anything like this would be voluntary and paid.

Not required, but often begged. If I do cover, I get paid for it.
    Nope. I do volunteer sometimes though. 

Christopher Hamilton
    Drama Teacher
    Kennewick WA

• 18.  RE: 5 Fifth - work load

Posted 10-19-2017 11:44
    I currently teach 6 classes but 5 is a full time load. I have no prep.
    I receive an annual stipend for the scripted performances that remains the same regardless of the numbers of students or hours. I receive no compensation for improv shows.
    No
    No. Security is responsible for this. 
    Yes. One event a year

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 19.  RE: 5 Fifth - work load

Posted 10-19-2017 13:28

1) How many classes do you teach (what is a full time load)? I teach 1 full year, three half years, I am also an advisor to Student Council and an advisor to the Student Arts Council, which is part of our service learning program at school
    2) Do you receive stipends for directing shows (what is that based on (hours, number of students)? I direct two mainstage productions which are each considered 1/5 of a 5/5 full-time contract. I also direct two productions that come out of a devised theater class which is one of my one-semester classes.
    3) Are you required to proctor lunch - no
    4) Are you required to proctor for absentee teachers - no. We might be asked to help.
    5) Are you required to proctor school dances or events? - Yes. We have 5 weekends of duty to help chaperone events with students. We also have several weekends of duty for conferences with parents, trustee events, etc.

Jennifer Jordan
    Director of Theater and Dance
    Miss Hall's School
    Pittsfield MA

• 20.  RE: 5 Fifth - work load

Posted 10-19-2017 18:02

Although I retired from classroom teaching at the end of the 2015-1016 school year, but can answer your questions:

1.        We are on a 6-period schedule.  A fulltime teaching load is 5 classes and one prep period.

2.       I receive stipends for directing and coaching, just as an athletic coach, student council advisor, etc. does.  Our stipends are based on what we call the "weeks" system.   The district determines the amount it will pay per week, then that number is multiplied by the number of weeks of your "season" or activity.  This system is based on the number of weeks you work with students and does not takes into account  "values" like "The football coach has a lot of pressure to win that the theater director doesn't."  In the case of directing a show, the period starts with audition/casting week and goes through the final performance.  It is acknowledged that I may not be directing all 5 days each week in the early part of rehearsal, but that is made up for with the 7 days a week with long hours towards the end.

3.       Teachers are not required to proctor lunch.  We have paras who do that.    We do have a 60 minute lunch and activity period in the middle of the day and teachers are assigned a hallway supervision duty during one 30 minute period each week.

4.       We are not required to sub for absentee teachers.  If we agree to do so, we are paid 1/6 of a daily sub's pay for each class period.

5.       We are not required to proctor or chaperone any dances or events.  Those who do so are paid $75. 

Mark Quinlan

Theater Director, Head Speech Coach

Centennial High School

763-792-5099

finearts@isd12.org

• 21.  RE: 5 Fifth - work load

Posted 10-20-2017 07:46
    ​1) How many classes do you teach (what is a full time load)?
    I teach one period of Theatre and four periods of English with one planning period and two study halls.  I got lucky this year.  Most of my colleagues have six periods of English.

I direct the spring show, am stage manager for the musical, and sponsor the Thespians.  I receive a contracted amount for spring show and Thespians, and get a "pay check" out of the musical budget. 

3) Are you required to proctor lunch?
    Only if it is my assigned duty for the year.  This year, study halls instead.

Only if it can be done during my duty.  For examples, teachers here are pulled from lunch or hall duty to cover classes.

Nope!  All voluntary and we are given a "gift" from the group sponsoring.  I have only missed one prom in 18 years!

Amber Hugus
    Harmony PA

• 22.  RE: 5 Fifth - work load

Posted 10-20-2017 08:39
    1) How many classes do you teach (what is a full time load)? 6 classes, 1 supervisory (1/2 dozen freshmen or so), 1 prep period = 8 periods/day & full load

2) Do you receive stipends for directing shows (what is that based on (hours, number of students))? 17% of teacher base as Director of Theatre, 1% Thespians, 1% Drama Club.  There are no contract requirements as to number or type of show(s) per year. (I do waaaaay too many shows!)

3)  Are you required to proctor lunch? NO! :-)

4) Are you required to proctor for absentee teachers? No

5)  Are you required to proctor school dances or events? No

[William] [Myatt] [Director of Theatre]

[Pleasant Valley High School]

[myattw@pleasval.k12.ia.us][563-332-5151][Bettendorf][IA][USA]

• 23.  RE: 5 Fifth - work load

Posted 10-20-2017 12:10
    I am currently at a public school:

1) Every teacher at my school has 5 classes, but some can volunteer to take on 6 for extra compensation. I teach 3 Drama classes and 2 Technical Theater classes. 

2) I recieve a stipend for the extra work outside of contract hours for being Acting Director and another stipend for also being Technical Director. The stipends are set by agreement between the Union and the District and are part of our salary contract. I get paid these stipends on a semester basis. I am required to do a minimum of one main stage production a semester.

3) We are not required to proctor lunch. Our campus security guards and our admin proctor during lunch.

4) We are often asked to cover for absent teachers, but we are contractually entitled to our prep period so we are allowed to decline. If we do cover for someone, we are comensated at an hourly rate based on your current location on the salary schedule.

5) Part of our contract requires 8 hours of school service directly involving students outside of regular school hours. These hours can be fulfulled by chaperoning dances, helping concessions at football games and school plays, driving homecoming parade floats, assisting with WASC committee, tutoring at the after school writing center, etc. It is your choice what you volunteer to do, but you need to have your hours pre-approved and then documented by the Principal.

When I worked private school a few years ago I had 5 classes (all different subjects), zero stipends for outside of school hours work (but yet expected to do two plays a year), had to proctor lunch and snack breaks three times a week, and always required to cover for absent teachers. It STUNK. Much of this is why I went to public school.

Rachel Snow
    Drama and Technical Theater Teacher
    Alhambra High School
    Alhambra CA

• 24.  RE: 5 Fifth - work load

Posted 10-21-2017 03:03
    1) We have a 7 period day, a full time contract is 6 periods.  Our contract requires that every teacher receive 1 prep period per day.  I teach 6 periods; 4 are theatre, the other 2 are 9th grade access, a class to help students be successful in high school.
    2) Yes, there are 3 stipends in our contract.  One for a musical and 2 for straight plays.  The stipend is a percentage of the base salary for a year-0 BA teacher.  There is nothing that states how many hours must be worked or how many students must be involved.
    3) Contractually, we have a duty-free lunch.  The school or district cannot require us to work through lunch.  Practically, most of us offer up our rooms for lunch since we are a very large school with a very small lunch space and kids need a place to go.
    4) We are not required to sub for teachers who are gone, but sometimes we are asked as we have a sub shortage in our area.  If we do, there is supposed to be sub pay since were giving up our prep period, but I know I've never gotten it.  Sometimes we offer to cover for each other, especially if it means saving a colleague from taking a sub day when they just need to miss one class period.
    5) All teachers at my high school are required to participate in 3 events/activities outside of school hours.  Everyone must participate in Open House.  The other 2 we are assigned and it could be Prom, another dance, our school bonfire before homecoming...there are lots of options.

Laura Steenson
    Theatre Director
    Reynolds High School
    Troutdale OR

• 25.  RE: 5 Fifth - work load

Posted 10-22-2017 10:43
    Hey Ted!

We start with a base salary and then I have stipends for Drama Director, Drama Club and (when I was) Department Chair.  Even though I spend days and weeks supervising students at rehearsal and such, I still have to supervise internally (15 minutes @ front of school, after school) and externally (games, retreats, dances).  

If I ever took the painful time to figure out the hours I work and divided them by the amount of the stipend I would cry to realize that for the largest percentage of my job I am paid 0.17 cents an hour.  

We all do it for the love of our passion, that's certain!​

Valerie O'Riordan
    Drama Director, MFA, AEA, Russi House Provincial
    Archbishop Riordan High School
    San Francisco CA voriordan@riordanhs.org

• 26.  RE: 5 Fifth - work load

Posted 10-22-2017 10:47
    OOPS!  I forgot a couple.

I currently teach a f/t load with: three Freshman Skills classes (every other day for a semester) and one Intro to Acting class (every other day for the entire year).  I get 2 preps: one as a regular prep and the other because I am a Provincial of our new House System and we have Monday morning meetings every week.

Yes, we have to sub either 8 half class sessions or 4 full class sessions as part of our contract.  If we do more than that we are paid for it.

The stipend I get is on a step system.  IDK how they choose but I am now on the highest step, thankfully.  Still doesn't mean I get paid for the time, but hey!  I'm not complaining.

Hope you are well!
    Cheers.

Valerie O'Riordan
    Drama Director, MFA, AEA, Russi House Provincial
    Archbishop Riordan High School
    San Francisco CA voriordan@riordanhs.org

• 27.  RE: 5 Fifth - work load

Posted 10-23-2017 12:44
    1.  My school district has high schools operating on an alternating-day block schedule with four class periods per day.  Teachers have three classes and one planning period each day, so we're teaching six classes total.  (Technically, I have eight, as I have two periods that mix Theatre 2 and Theatre 3.)  Since my total load is Theatre 1, Theatre 2, Theatre 3, and Theatrical Direction and Stage Management 1, I have four preps for every two-day cycle.

2.  My district offers a drama stipend, but there is only one per school.  My school has two theatre teachers.  The district will not divide the stipend between us, telling us that if one of us wants to give half of it to the other, we can work that out ourselves.  (Of course, the person who actually receives the stipend is taxed on its full amount, so ...)  I signed off years ago on allowing the other teacher to receive the stipend because I'm already higher up our salary scale than she is, and because she directs most of our musicals, which is a much more complicated job than my direction of most of our straight plays.  The stipend is a fixed amount for the year, divided up in equal installments in the recipient's biweekly salary payments.  It is not tied to a specific number of shows or hours; it's simply for sponsoring and leading theatre activities after school.

3.  Teachers at my school are not required to proctor lunch.  This is a district contract point - we are guaranteed a duty-free lunch lasting at least 30 minutes.  Our (four) administrators, school resource officer, and (three) security staff (at a school with an enrollment of 1,600) keep eyes on students during lunch.

4.  Teachers at my school are not required to proctor for absent teachers.  Our district provides substitute teachers for those who are absent.  However, sometimes teachers need to miss a period or two in ways where a normal substitute would not be feasible, and we are allowed to work out coverage between ourselves.  One teacher might need to leave school a period early for a medical appointment, for example, and might arrange for a colleague who has planning time that period to cover that class.  A lot of us trade favors like this.

5.  Teachers at my school are not required to proctor for school dances and events.  We are encouraged to volunteer to chaperone at such events as the Homecoming dance, the prom, Grad Bash at Universal Studios, etc., but there is no reward for those who do nor punishment for those who don't.  Our teachers are involved enough in the life of the school that enough volunteers usually surface for almost any event.  We are required to proctor certain things during the school day, such as administration of the PSAT, and we all take turns proctoring AP and IB exams where allowable and practical.

Jeff Grove
    Theatre Teacher, Aesthetics Department Chair
    Stanton College Preparatory School
    Jacksonville FL