Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  A Little Princess

Posted 11-26-2016 12:23

Hello, all!

I am considering doing 'A Little Princess' (MTI) this spring.  Has anyone here tackled it?  Pros?  Cons?

------------------------------
    Andrea Rassler
    Concord NC

• 2.  RE: A Little Princess

Posted 11-27-2016 13:02
    It's a nice musical based on the book by Burnett, who also wrote The Secret Garden. Many parts for girls and some strong roles for boys.
    Andrew Lippa, who did Addams Family, wrote the music. It is an excellent score. Sierra Boggess is featured on the cast album. "Let Heart Be Your Compass" is a great song! "Soldier On" by Sara is a powerful way to end the first act. Captain Crewe and Pasko both get strong solos!
    You have wonderful opportunities for some fantastic choreograph, as well.
    The biggest challenge is that you have two story lines going on literally at the same time: Sara's and Captain Crewe's. You have to be strong on line delivery so there is no confusion.
    I directed our middle school in this production; it was very well received!

Sent from my iPhone

• 3.  RE: A Little Princess

Posted 11-29-2016 08:05

I did a version of this a few years ago.  Not a musical, just a play version.  It was amazing.  The girls did such a great job, and the leads really had good chemistry.  I had funny boys who brought a lot to the roles as well.  It was well received by our community!  Good luck!

Amber Hugus
    Harmony PA

• 4.  RE: A Little Princess

Posted 04-04-2017 11:25
    I'm really interested in this show for next year, but I'm tight on African American actors, especially guys. How big is the role of Pasko (in case I have to pull someone in from outside the department)? Could it be played by a girl in a pants role?

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator
    Fishersville VA