Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Musical set in Greece

Posted 04-12-2019 08:28

I am at a k-8 school, and our middle school is travelling to Greece next year!  My admin asked if I could tailor the Spring Musical to match the trip.  I will order the perusal of Xanadu, Jr., but I was wondering if there are any other musicals that are either set in Greece or deal with Greek mythology.  It has to be appropriate for k-8, so no Mamma Mia!

Myndee Fleury Washington

Music & Drama Teacher

Union Park Charter Academy

"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you EVERYWHERE"- Albert Einstein

• 2.  RE: Musical set in Greece

Posted 04-15-2019 08:02
    How exciting! What an amazing opportunity!

It's not a musical, but The Mythology Olympiaganza is a very funny and easy to stage piece. It's through Playscripts, by Don Zolidis.

------------------------------
    Dianne Rowe
    Theatre Arts Teacher
    Junior Thespian Troupe 88177
    Berry Middle School
    bit.ly/BerryDrama
    Birmingham, AL

• 3.  RE: Musical set in Greece

Posted 04-16-2019 04:39
    A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum

Crit Fisher
    Lighting/Sound Designer
    New Albany High School

• 4.  RE: Musical set in Greece

Posted 04-16-2019 13:22
    "Helen on 86th Street" by Nicole Kempskie and Robby Stamper.

A wonderful, heartfelt story (musical). A  Greek  play within a play!
    We won best play overall at Georgia Theatre Conference with "Helen" this year!

Helenon86th.com

Heather Davidson
    Drama Faculty
    Davidson Fine Arts School
    Augusta,GA.

• 5.  RE: Musical set in Greece

Posted 04-16-2019 16:30
    Mama Mia is set on a fictional Greek Island. Though there not much of a Greek feel to the show and the subject matter may not be right for you.

The Frogs is a musical "freely adapted" by Stephen Sondheim and Burt Shevelove from The Frogs, an Ancient Greek comedy by Aristophanes.

Xanadu (2007) is a musical comedy about the Greek Muses; based on the 1980 film. Book by Douglas Carter Beane and music and lyrics by Jeff Lynne and John Farrar. It does involve roller skating.

Although not set in Greece, Legally Blonde uses the sorority sisters of Delta Nu as a Greek chorus.

Tales of Olympus: A Greek Myth Musical. B
    ook, music & lyrics by Min Kahng;  commissioned by Bay Area Children's Theatre (Oakland, CA).
         Peering down from their home on Mt. Olympus, the ancient Greek gods see a fast-paced, modern world filled with high-tech distractions. Who has the time to remember their stories? Calliope, the goddess of epic poetry, descends from the mountaintop to enlist the help of an 11-year-old mortal, Jason. But does Jason have the guts to overcome his stage fright and become the next bard?
         For rights, you can contact the author at: https://www.minkahng.com/contact

James Van Leishout
    Olympia WA

• 6.  RE: Musical set in Greece

Posted 04-17-2019 09:21
    Rodgers and Hart's The Boys From Syracuse is set in ancient Ephesus, and has the additional cachet of having been adapted from Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.  The Rodgers and Hammerstein organization administers the rights, though they don't seem to have a "Getting to Know" version of it for younger performers.

Jeff Grove
    Theatre Teacher, Aesthetics Department Chair
    Stanton College Preparatory School
    Jacksonville FL