Open Forum

View Only

Thespian Point App

• 1.  Thespian Point App

Posted 08-19-2017 20:19
    Has anyone seen, or is anyone using, any kind of app to keep track of Thespian points? 

Chris MarkerMorse, MEd

Poly High School Theater Arts

Riverside Unified School District BTSA

"All the world's a stage, 

And all the men and women merely players..."

• 2.  RE: Thespian Point App

Posted 08-20-2017 08:57
    I have only ever used the paper point sheet that I downloaded from the ITS website.

------------------------------
    Stephen Ingle
    Drama Teacher
    Jefferson High School
    Jefferson, GA

• 3.  RE: Thespian Point App

Posted 08-21-2017 07:03
    We have just chartered a troupe for the first time, but I highly recommend this great Google Sheet point Tracker.  Theatre Ideas: Thespian Point Record Form: Educational Theatre: International Thespian Society
    While not an app, it has good functionality for sharing students' points with you and allowing you to check their updates and adjust as needed.  This was how I was able to get my charter members points collected to submit during the summer when they where abroad, at summer programs, or just across the state.  I was able to customize and even create a roster on a separate sheet that is linked to each student's record so I can view points and names at a glance. 
    I hope that is helpful!

Elana Kepner
    Theatre Instructor
    The Oakwood School
    Greenville NC

• 4.  RE: Thespian Point App

Posted 08-22-2017 13:24

What a timely thread. This week, our Troupe Directors will be receiving our annual "welcome back" mailing with news of new resources for this school year. One is the Thespian Induction Point System tool (TIPS). The high school version is available in the ITS site, on the high school teacher page. The link is below. The Junior version (JTIPS) is in beta testing right now. We'll announce that launch soon.

The TIPS tool is for logging and reporting on student activities and the related points. The tool will tell you when a student has earned enough points for induction, another point star rating, or an honor rating. It maintains everything in an archival file too. TIPS was developed with the help of several teachers and we're excited to share it with you.

There's a tutorial at the top of the page that's worth watching. Once you download and save your own copy of the TIPS tool, you can follow along and you'll have a handle on this in minutes.

How do you allow for all the points students have already earned? Just create one entry per student and use the "ad hoc" feature to enter their current total points. After that, just add new points as they're earned and TIPS does the rest.

This isn't an app. We know that's the direction to go. For now, it's a complicated excel document. Check the FAQs on the page for additional information.

Thespian Induction Point System (TIPS)

David LaFleche
    Director of Membership
    Educational Theatre Association
    Cincinnati OH

• 5.  RE: Thespian Point App

Posted 08-30-2017 11:15
    Wow! Just perused the TIPS excel document. What a cool and convenient way to log points and everything! I love the bells and whistles of being able to run reports based on graduation year and other factors. 

Nice work!

Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor

Etobicoke ON

• 6.  RE: Thespian Point App

Posted 09-06-2017 18:14
    After watching this, I think I need to try it!  I better go search and download!

Natalie (Saunders) Dommer
    Director of Theatre
    Ottumwa High School
    501 East Second Street
    Ottumwa, Iowa 52501

• 7.  RE: Thespian Point App

Posted 08-21-2017 14:33
    There was a thread on this a while back, maybe Aprilish.  This year I'm trying out using a google form  where the kids submit their points.  It dumps into a spreadsheet that the students can't access but that I can, so I can sort and verify points.

Google Forms is fairly simple to get used to, so I'm optimistic that this will save time in the long run.

Josh

Josh Belk
    Director of Theatre
    Palmer Ridge High School
    Monument, CO

• 8.  RE: Thespian Point App

Posted 08-23-2017 08:46
    I endorse the TIPS app!  I have it in a Dropbox as a shared document with my secretary-treasurer.  It makes running reports SUPER EASY!  

A great return on investment for our annual troupe dues!

Raymond Palasz
    Auditorium Director/Director of Theatre
    Schererville IN

• 9.  RE: Thespian Point App

Posted 09-01-2017 15:58
    I use Google Forms. Super easy and it puts responses right into a Google Sheet (like excel) that you can easy sort and organize.

Kathleen McNulty Mann
    mcnulkl@bay.k12.fl.us

Arnold High School Theatre
    Panama City Beach, FL
    Program Director and Thespian Sponsor

Florida Association for Theatre Education
    Board Member
    Membership Committee Chair

• 10.  RE: Thespian Point App

Posted 09-12-2017 10:22
    How do you set up your Google form? I tried one last year and about had a thespian mutiny! It was so confusing the way I tried to do it. 
    Any advice on question wording and whatnot would be wonderful!

Paige Junge
    ELA Teacher, Speech Coach, Thespian Director
    Marion, IA

• 11.  RE: Thespian Point App

Posted 09-14-2017 08:18
    Here's a link to a solution we developed last year. It's the Thespian Induction Point System (TIPS) tool. There's a good tutorial on the page that'll help you get started. We've had great feedback from the teachers who've started using this. 

Thespian Induction Point System (TIPS) - EdTA - Educational Theatre Association 

If memory serves me right, some people are sharing this via a dropbox account so that students can enter their own information. After that the built in reports let you know when someone becomes eligible for induction, earns a point star, or an honor rank. There are sorting and filtering tools and everything is kept in a history tab.

A few people have asked about getting each student's existing point total into the spreadsheets. You'll create one line item for each student and assign "ad hoc" points to get their previously earned points into the tool. After that, you enter a new line whenever you're awarding points and everything gets calculated for you.

There's a permanent link to the TIPS tool under Resources when you click on High School Teacher on the ITS website. https://www.schooltheatre.org/internationalthespiansociety/troupedirectors .

If anyone has questions or suggestions about the TIPS tool, please do contact the national office.

David LaFleche
    Director of Membership
    Cincinnati OH

• 12.  RE: Thespian Point App

Posted 09-22-2017 09:07

Is anyone else having problems with TIPS? It won't let me edit some sheets, saying they're protected. And when I unprotect them, it asks for a password that I don't have. 
    Any advice? 

Paige Junge
    ELA Teacher, Speech Coach, Thespian Director
    Marion IA

• 13.  RE: Thespian Point App

Posted 09-23-2017 06:10
    Paige,

If you are having problems with TIPS, please reach out; I can walk you through the workbook.

We continue to have an issue with the tool on some versions of the Mac IOS; Apple has stopped supporting the Office Suites.

Best,
    Brian 

Brian M. Monk
    Chief Operating Officer

2343 Auburn Avenue
    Cincinnati, Ohio 45219-2815

schooltheatre.org

Shaping lives through theatre education

Sent from my iPhone

• 14.  RE: Thespian Point App

Posted 12-18-2017 10:29
    It does not work for me either.  I can add points, but it will not total, says there is a problem with an incomplete format.  It's been frustrating as I have tried it in Office 365 and then asked the school to download Excel and it still won't work, so I have entered the points into it multiple times and it won't work.  I could have spent that time on other things, it's been very frustrating.

Blair Waite
    Teacher
    Abilene KS

• 15.  RE: Thespian Point App

Posted 02-26-2020 14:24
    Hello,

Is there any way you can email me the points info? Im on a really old school issues MacBook Pro and cannot open the TIPS document.

Barbara.krantz@browardschools.com

Thank you,

Barbara Krantz
    Theatre Teacher
    Broward County Public Schools
    Coral Springs FL