Open Forum

View Only

Palate cleansing reading recommendations

• 1.  Palate cleansing reading recommendations

Posted 03-29-2016 08:21

Ok, it's "anticipation-of-the-coming-spring-break-burn-out-time," and, this year, my inevitable burn out seems to be manifesting itself in an absolute allergy to the jargon that is frenziedly volleyed around in schools and school cultures.  I was discussing this aversion to words, phrases, and shiny new concepts that can wedge themselves into our daily teaching lives (until they fade away and are replaced by new shiny things) with a wise friend in one of those "it doesn't even seem to be about teaching and learning any more" conversations, and my friend said that when she feels that way in her field (she's not in education) that she tries to "get back to basics."  One way she does so is to go back and read the fundamental touchstone texts of her field.

So, in time for spring break reading, I thought I'd throw the question out there to the community:

What do you consider to be the rock-bottom, fundamental books (articles?) on theatre, education, or educational theatre?  Those texts that really connect you to why we do what we do?

Or, what other experiences, besides reading, do you think connect you to that initial sense of purpose when you need to hit the re-set button?

By the way, "fundamental" doesn't necessarily have to mean "old."  I like reading the latest, greatest as much as anyone.

Happy spring, all.  

------------------------------
    Ryan Moore
    Theatre Teacher and Forensics Coach
    Royal Oak MI

• 2.  RE: Palate cleansing reading recommendations

Posted 03-29-2016 13:01

Here's a few that I've read in the last couple of years that re-ignited or inspired me and connected me to what we do...

'The Frantic Assembly Book on Devising Theatre', Scott Graham. Wonderful and inspiring text, connects to first principles, stuff you can take into the classroom, but really the passion and the enthusiasm for the craft make this a wonderful read.

The Frantic Assembly Book of Devising Theatre

Amazon remove preview
    The Frantic Assembly Book of Devising Theatre

View this on Amazon >

'Acting on the Script', Bruce Miller. Very readable book about how to break down a script/scene for student actors, makes it look easy (which it is, when you have the right tools - trying to hammer a nail with a blowtorch is doable, but it'll be a pretty ugly, frustrating job)

Acting on the Script

Amazon remove preview
    Acting on the Script

View this on Amazon >

'Sanford Meisner on Acting' - depends if you're a fan or not. I'd barely heard of him in England when I went through drama school, but I found this text pretty inspiring, engaging and a re-orientation to why we attempt to teach students this craft.

Sanford Meisner on Acting

Amazon remove preview
    Sanford Meisner on Acting

View this on Amazon >

And, for fun: 'How to Teach Your Children Shakespeare', by Ken Ludwig. Really engaging text, maybe it speaks to the English Lit undergrad I was, but also to the actor, and Ludwig has a wonderful way of making the texts accessible and, better yet, vital to your child or student's well-being.

How to Teach Your Children Shakespeare

Amazon remove preview
    How to Teach Your Children Shakespeare
    Amazon.com: How to Teach Your Children Shakespeare (9780307951502): Ken Ludwig: Books
    View this on Amazon >

Shakespeare

Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor
    National Board Certified
    Ruskin FL

• 3.  RE: Palate cleansing reading recommendations

Posted 03-30-2016 15:48

The books I return to time an time again are Robert Edmond Jones, The Dramatic Imagination; Growtowski, Towards a Poor Theater; Any Stanislavski or Boleshlavski; The Empty Space and Theatre Games for Young Performers.

When I'm interested in a diversion, I often look at the theater of Robert Wilson. His operas are a hoot and often provide me with some inspiration or a redirection.

Enjoy your delve.

Michael Johnson
    Trinity NC

• 4.  RE: Palate cleansing reading recommendations

Posted 03-30-2016 19:40

I come time and again to "On The Technique of Acting" by Michael Chekhov, I also re-read at various times "A Sense of Direction" by William Ball, and when I need a quick pick me up or challenge to teach to, I will open Jon Jory's "Tips for the Actor" randomly and try to use what's on that page in my lesson that day -as an exercise for myself, it can be fun, usually pretty easy, but occasionally super hard.

But When i am down. When i am blue. When I am trying to remember why the hell I am in art or teaching - I open up "13 by Shanley" and read the author's note, then flip to the "The Big Funk" and read that author's note and remember why I am in this crazy business.

Jeffrey Davis
    Plainsboro NJ

• 5.  RE: Palate cleansing reading recommendations

Posted 03-31-2016 09:51
    • Drama Worlds by Cecily O'Neill
    • Impro by Keith Johnstone
    • Collected Writings on Education and Drama by Dorothy Heathcoate
    • How to Talk So Kids Will Listen and Listen So Kids Will Talk by Faber and Mazlish

Happy reading!

B.

Bryce Cahn
    New York NY

• 6.  RE: Palate cleansing reading recommendations

Posted 03-31-2016 13:20

I will second (and third and fourth) Robert Edmond Jones' The Dramatic Imagination. Jones was a top set designer in NYC during from the teens into the forties, but the book isn't about set design as such: it's about theatre in its most basic form. It's a short book (one or two evenings) and a huge breath of fresh air. Available on amazon.

Another book I turn to, often, is Simon Sinek's Start With Why. This one explores leadership and motivation, focusing on his theory that oftentimes we spend so much effort on the "what" and "how" of a problem that we forget to even think about the "why." Another breath of fresh air, and also available at amazon.

George F. Ledo
    Set designer
    www.setdesignandtech.wordpress.com
    www.georgefledo.net

• 7.  RE: Palate cleansing reading recommendations

Posted 03-31-2016 13:30

Thank you, Ryan, for starting the thread! Some new titles for me to add to my Amazon list!

Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor/Assistant Department Head of English
    Ruskin FL

• 8.  RE: Palate cleansing reading recommendations

Posted 03-31-2016 19:30

I suppose I should contribute to the conversation as well.

I've recommended this book in other threads in this community, but a book that I've returned to a number of times (based on the variety of colors of ink I've underlined in) is Michael Bloom's Thinking Like a Director: A Practical Handbook.  I really do think it is just the right balance of theoretical and practical, and always helps me think about the role of director.

A book that I've not read for many years that I'm considering dusting off in this quest is Parker J. Palmer's The Courage to Teach.  It was a gift to me upon college graduation, and I'm glad I got past my initial skepticism based on the very self-help-y waterfall vista on the cover (what's that they say about judging by its cover?).  Talk about getting to the heart of what we do.  Again, my memory is foggy, but I remember a strong message of "teach who YOU are," which seems like a good antidote to the machinery of education trying to put us all in a box.  

And this is not a recommendation because I've not read it yet (but it's on my kindle), but I'm excited about reading Elizabeth Gilbert's Big Magic.  I've really enjoyed what she's said about the topic of living a creative life in interviews and podcasts.

Ryan Moore
    Theatre Teacher and Forensics Coach
    Royal Oak MI

• 9.  RE: Palate cleansing reading recommendations

Posted 04-01-2016 08:09

Warning: Minor heresies approaching. ;)

I shy away from things that overanalyze. I tend to avoid weighty titles that contain ”analyzing/understanding/achieving/unlocking/revealing/appreciating,” etc. I hear E.B. White ringing in my ears: “Humor can be dissected, as a frog can, but the thing dies in the process and the innards are discouraging to any but the pure scientific mind.”

For years I have been bothered by the academic walls erected around Shakespeare. These were popular entertainments. Let’s remember that. Perhaps the best illustration comes from classical music. If you play classical music for aboriginal people, they dance. No training, no understanding, no previous exposure. They dance.

That said, there is one slim volume that reenergizes my creative juices: Steal Like An Artist by Austin Kleon. 160 tiny pages with a lot of illustrations! But maybe the best pure look at the creative process I’ve ever seen.

Scott Piehler
    Director
    SUWANEE GA

• 10.  RE: Palate cleansing reading recommendations

Posted 04-02-2016 10:00

Has anyone read Acting at the Speed of Life by Timothy Mooney?  It's been sitting and waiting for me to open it.

Karen Fairbank
    Director, eighth grade play
    Thomas Jefferson School
    St. Louis MO

• 11.  RE: Palate cleansing reading recommendations

Posted 04-03-2016 09:09

I second a lot of the previously listed choices.

One of my favorite books to use in class discussion is "Letters to a Young Artist" by Anna Deveare Smith.  My students also enjoy a slim volume called, "Notes on Directing." I have also found any book by Ann Bogart to be enlightening and helpful.

Lisa Houston
    Director of Drama
    The Pennington School
    Pennington, NJ