Open Forum

View Only

Makeup

• 1.  Makeup

Posted 08-24-2021 17:04
    Hi all! I'm heading into school tomorrow to set up my room. I have a closet full of makeup, which I assume I must toss. I'm looking for recommendations for individualized makeup kits. Something not too expensive that kids can keep and replenish over the years. I teach in a 7th through 12th school, so it is possible to have a student for 6 years. We always made them purchase their own mascara, but that was it.
    Thanks!
    Liz Ledwell
    Falmouth Academy

• 2.  RE: Makeup

Posted 08-25-2021 07:04
    We offer having each student purchasing a Ben Nye Student or Professional Kit.  We purchase through local supplier : Broadway Costumes Inc or Grand Stage.

------------------------------
    Patt Cheney
    I.T.S.Troupe 5405 Dir./Head Coach Speech Team/Make-Up Designer
    Oak Park-River Forest High School
    IL

• 3.  RE: Makeup

Posted 08-25-2021 07:39

Both Mehron and Ben Nye have great student kits, that cost under $20. 

Myndee Fleury Washington

Social Studies & Drama Teacher

Union Park Charter Academy

She/ Her/Hers

• 4.  RE: Makeup

Posted 08-25-2021 11:09
    Ben Nye is a great theatrical makeup company. I've been using their stuff for years and love it. They sell individual makeup kits that work great for students. It has all be needed basics and you can purchase individual replacement or supplement items at any time. Here's the link:  www.bennye.com/product-category/kits/theatre-film-makeup-kits

Jillian Lietzau
    Lutheran High School

• 5.  RE: Makeup

Posted 08-25-2021 12:43
    I have been using the Ben Nye Student kits for many years and agree with other commenters that they are really good kits and are probably just what you need!  The price is right and you can get lots and lots of uses out of them.

Maria Karres-Williams
    Upper School/Middle School Theatre
    Holy Innocents' Episcopal School
    Atlanta, GA

• 6.  RE: Makeup

Posted 08-26-2021 09:03
    Yes they are really very professional! Schools I work in bought Ben Nye Student kits as well and my students are satisfied))

Popo Lino

• 7.  RE: Makeup

Posted 08-26-2021 11:27
    Amazon has Ben Nye Student Makeup Kits. You could make a list on Amazon and people could purchase as a contribution. The kits on Amazon are about $30. Is that too high?

Andy Perry

John Perry
    Retired Theatre Teacher

• 8.  RE: Makeup

Posted 08-27-2021 08:51
    The Mehron Mini Pro Kits retail for less than $20 and they offer 4 skin tones in each kit.  Teachers have found they are easier to find a skin tone and they are cheaper.  They also have an instruction book that instructs the student to do basic and aging makeup.  So it's a great kit for students to practice before the performance.  Most of your costume shops would have them.  If you don't know where, go to Mehron.com and use the store locator.  Most stores will offer a discount to schools if you are buying in bulk.  

Gene Flaharty

• 9.  RE: Makeup

Posted 08-27-2021 10:23
     Thanks so much for your input on the makeup. We will order the Ben Nye or the Mehron and the school will pick up the tab!
    Liz Ledwell
    Falmouth Academy

• 10.  RE: Makeup

Posted 08-27-2021 09:25
    Sent from my iPhone

• 11.  RE: Makeup

Posted 08-27-2021 09:33

Hi Friends,
    I just ordered 30 "Mini-Pro" Mehron kits in various skin tones from Manhattan Wardrobe Supply for $16.99 each. PLUS, I got an additional 10% off for being a first-time customer. Couldn't beat it with a stick! 

Best,
    Garry

Garry Tiller
    Theatre Arts Teaching Artist
    Sidwell Friends
    Washington, DC

• 12.  RE: Makeup

Posted 08-29-2021 02:32
    Ben Nye makeup kits are probably the most popular and widely used so they're available from numerous outlets.  I'd suggest Norcostco in Minneapolis.  I'd also  suggest keeping a sample on hand so that the students can compare their complexion to the limited number of shades that are available in the kits.

Steve Halper
    Theatre Assistant, Salpointe Catholic High School, Tucson, AZ