Open Forum

View Only

Recommendations for Female Star Vehicle Play

• 1.  Recommendations for Female Star Vehicle Play

Posted 12-13-2018 10:40
    Hello! I have an amazingly talented girl (among others) that I'd love to feature in my next fall play (not a musical). Something that is beautifully written with a cast no larger than 20 (smaller shows preferred maybe between 8-15 is ideal for me). I'd love to do something that will really move an audience and isn't a hard sell to administrators (no content questions). I got away with Brighton Beach Memoirs this year but it was definitely a close call.

Some of the things I've been thinking about are Anastasia, Radium Girls, Clue, 12 Angry Men... if you have any thoughts/recommendations on those plays I'd appreciate it!

------------------------------
    Sadie Andros
    Theatre Director
    Lewes DE

• 2.  RE: Recommendations for Female Star Vehicle Play

Posted 12-13-2018 10:45
    Look at The Miracle Worker. Also Silent Sky, or if you want to go classical, there are some accessible adaptations of Medea and Antigone (look at Jean Anouilh's adaptation there).

Happy hunting and have a great show.

Josh Kauffman
    Teacher
    Winfield AL

• 3.  RE: Recommendations for Female Star Vehicle Play

Posted 12-13-2018 11:04
    I Never Saw Another Butterfly.  Our Town.  Book of Days.  All of these have wonderful leading roles, but lots for others to dig into.  These are shows my community is still talking about.

Amy Learn
    Ballwin MO

• 4.  RE: Recommendations for Female Star Vehicle Play

Posted 12-13-2018 10:46
    Check out These Shining Lives - it covers the same subject matter as Radium Girls, but has a clear female lead. Also check out Silent Sky, though I think that is for a cast of 5 or 6. 

For a real challenge, Wit. A beautiful play and a role of a lifetime for an actress. We did it with a cast of 9. All of the students fell in love with the play, and it certainly will move the audience to tears, as well as challenge them intellectually.

Ken Buswell
    Drama Teacher
    Peachtree City, GA
    http://mcintoshtheater.org/

Theater kills ignorance

• 5.  RE: Recommendations for Female Star Vehicle Play

Posted 12-13-2018 11:08
    Thank you! And wow, never really thought about Wit before for my high school. I was in a production of that show myself--it would definitely be a challenge!

Sadie Andros
    Theatre Director
    Lewes DE

• 6.  RE: Recommendations for Female Star Vehicle Play

Posted 12-13-2018 13:13
    Hi!  Don't know if she can play age or not, but you might challenge her with something out of her norm.  There is a wonderful play called DO NOT GO GENTLE.  Small cast (6 or 7 I think) with a great story line.  I have done it and I have seen it done on the high school level and it works really well.

Best Wishes.

Terry McGonigle
    Springfield OH

• 7.  RE: Recommendations for Female Star Vehicle Play

Posted 12-14-2018 04:51
    If she would be better at playing a younger role ... Walk Two Moons is a beautiful script .... based on the young adult novel ... it's told in a series of flashbacks so the set can be minimal .... but definitely is a challenge and has a great message.

Toni Thomas
    English Teacher, Theatre Director
    West Branch MI

• 8.  RE: Recommendations for Female Star Vehicle Play

Posted 12-14-2018 11:26
    Take a look at Eurydice by Sarah Ruhl.  The cast might be a little small for your group as it has only 7 roles; the Lord of the Underworld doubles as the Nast/Interesting Man.  It is exquisitely written and deeply felt play and every time I have read it or worked on it with young people, they connect to the themes and the words.

Elana Kepner
    Theatre Instructor
    The Oakwood School
    Greenville NC

• 9.  RE: Recommendations for Female Star Vehicle Play

Posted 12-15-2018 12:23
    I had success with Dark Road by Laura Lundgren Smith when I had a particularly talented group of girls. It's tough subject matter (Holocaust), but if you have a mature group, it's an amazing opportunity to really delve deep into the subject of choice.  We did lots of research and had many conversations before starting to rehearse. My students loved it. 

Antigone Now by Melissa Cooper is also fabulous. There is some truly gorgeous imagery in the Antigone's monologues. 

I also second the Ruhl Eurydice. 

Valerie Boehm
    Ball Ground GA

• 10.  RE: Recommendations for Female Star Vehicle Play

Posted 12-17-2018 12:20
    We are currently working on "Decision Height" which is an all female play minimum cast of 9 max of however many you'd like (we have around 15 girls) definitely several roles that could showcase talented ladies.  Also check "The Miss Firecracker Contest" it's female heavy as well.

Gabrielle McMullen
    Drama Director
    Thomasville GA

• 11.  RE: Recommendations for Female Star Vehicle Play

Posted 12-18-2018 07:31
    Check out Letters to Sala by Arlene Hutton. There are many opportunities for young women in this play. There are a few male roles that do require capable guys, but this is overwhelmingly a female-centric story and script. Tremendously powerful, not only in its content but in the opportunities for research.

Michael Bergman
    Teacher/Director
    The Potomac School
    McLean, VA