Open Forum

View Only

Rights to Grease

• 1.  Rights to Grease

Posted 04-03-2015 11:59
    Has anyone done Grease lately?  I spoke to Samuel French and they had quite a few things you had to do inorder to even get a quote from them and they said it was very expensive to do.  I was wondering if all the other items you had to do and the cost outweighed the actual doing of the show.  Any insight? Thanks!

------------------------------
    Kelly Thomas
    Mesquite TX

• 2.  RE: Rights to Grease

Posted 04-03-2015 13:09

We just produced Grease and, yes, it is expensive butSamuel French states that up front. 

We did the full version, not the high school version, with the principal's approval and full support. 

We did make a lot of money! The musical is a known commodity and people love it so we sold lots of tickets and made a nice profit.

Did I like it? No. I didn't direct it and after it was all over I would never produce it again. It teaches the wrong thing to female students: you have to degrade yourself to win the boy you want.

John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 3.  RE:Rights to Grease

Posted 04-04-2015 00:08
    Could not agree more! My students ask for it every year, but my explanation is always the same. I understand that it is satire, but I just can't be comfortable directing a show in which the female protagonist not only changes herself for a boy, but throws out her morals to fit into her peer group. Then we all sing a happy song about it. Terrible! Now when someone asks if we can do it, I turn to one of my older students and tell them to explain. It will make money though, even if it is expensive up front.

-------------------------------------------
    Heather Brandon
    Bakersfield CA
    -------------------------------------------

Sent via Higher Logic Mobile

• 4.  RE: Rights to Grease

Posted 04-06-2015 07:22
    My students also ask for Grease every year. We use a student live orchestra for our musicals. Our instrumental teacher has made pit orchestra a very big deal and holds auditions the same I do. Grease does not have music for an orchestra, just a 5 piece rock combo. I tell my students that musical is the capstone for all the performing arts, not just drama. We can't do a show without an orchestra. His eliminates a few really good titles as well, unfortunately, but it puts a stop to the Grease discussion.

Scott Hasbrouck
    Wheat Ridge CO

• 5.  RE: Rights to Grease

Posted 04-04-2015 08:00

I say a big "Amen!" to John's thoughts about "Grease."  Our girls get enough negative messages about their looks and the all-important need to "get the guy."  I've never really understood why this show is considered a good one for high school.

Allan

Allan Dodson
    Tucker GA

• 6.  RE: Rights to Grease

Posted 04-04-2015 14:35
    We did Grease in 2012. I had held off from directing it for years because of the underlying message, but I sold out. It was the biggest seller we have ever had. Parents loved it. Kids loved it. One thing we did is obtained the rights for the songs from the movie and added them in throughout the show. It took a long to time to hear from the publisher, but it was worth it because the movie songs are the ones that a lot of the audience know and sort of expect to hear.

Ed Como
    Tempe AZ

• 7.  RE: Rights to Grease

Posted 04-04-2015 20:42

We did the ​Grease, the High School Edition​ two years ago.  Yes, it was expensive, but the cast and crew enjoyed doing the show, and it was well received by our audience.  Most people are familiar with the music and the storyline, so I think it is a good choice.  
    Kenneth Robinson
    Drama Club Sponsor
    Muncie IN

• 8.  RE: Rights to Grease

Posted 04-06-2015 16:00
    Grease rears it's ugly head every 6-8 years or so and someone is always doing it in one of the high schools every couple of years as it's so popular.  I've done it three times myself (don't ask me why!) I didn't find it all that expensive - no more than Shrek or any other big musical.  In fact, I last did it because kids were asking for it again (the last cohort is deep into college now or beyond, so no one remembers) and I consider it easy and a cash cow.  Basically, if I need to build up the bank account, do Grease. We did the regular version and contract for the movie songs from Warner/Chappell for a few hundred dollars each. We do need to take the material with some mature thought and discuss the ramifications of messages and the consequences therein.  The big scare is one of the big messages and if you focus on that, it becomes a lesson, not something else.  It's important to not get caught up in just the "coolness" and the song and dance, but also the reality of growing up and all the adult decisions our kids will soon be faced with.

James Mead
    Director of Drama
    Palmer AK

• 9.  RE: Rights to Grease

Posted 04-07-2015 18:53
    Just applied for a summer performance of the school version.  I'm curious how much it's going to cost now.   I'll post back when I find out.

Mark Middlebrooks
    Highlands Ranch CO

• 10.  RE: Rights to Grease

Posted 04-08-2015 08:27
    Grease will sell out! Do it. And pay extra for the movie songs. I produced it before those were available and audiences were disappointed that they were missing, especially "The One that I Want."

Jason Applegate
    Diretcor/Teacher
    Saginaw MI

• 11.  RE: Rights to Grease

Posted 04-10-2015 10:12
    Yea the rights are expensive but it is a show that sells tickets. It is also a great way to recruit guys into the theTre, they love the grease look. We jus finished the show and had record sales ...also still have an amazing car and costumes for sale! ------------------------------ Kendra Walls ------------------------------

• 12.  RE: Rights to Grease

Posted 04-13-2015 09:35
    We did the school version this year and had a blast. At first I was upset, but in the end I really didn't miss the smoking or drinking, it was just a bummer that we couldn't perform "There are worse things I could do". We also made a huge profit. I would definitely spend the extra to buy the movie songs because those are the songs everyone is coming to hear. Also as far as the message is concerned i think that any show pre 1980 is going to have mess up gender roles/racism etc. Times are different now and what is acceptable has just changed. We tried to play it up that Sandy had I big inner change, became empowered and took control. After all she does tell Danny that HE better shape up. (it's kind of a stretch but that just the spin we went with) We did however cut Sandy punching Patty Simcox in the face and had Patty just trip over her own feet while pursuing Danny  because violence is just not the answer

Zachary Mazouat
    Morristown NJ

• 13.  RE: Rights to Grease

Posted 04-14-2015 16:01
    We did Grease the High School Version last spring.  If you will send me your email address, I will send you a copy of my invoice which will explain the many different costs.

Ellen Starkey
    Drama/Vocal Teacher
    Baton Rouge LA