Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  My performance may be snowed out this weekend! Help!

Posted 12-07-2016 02:08

Greetings from Seattle!

I don't know about anyone else, but I am probably the only staff member at my school who prays that there are no snow days!  I am in tech week right now...we have already had one snow day this week, and if we have another one my production will be moved to January!

The forecast isn't looking good for Thursday. 

Has anyone had to perform a show after the actors have been on a vacation for a three week break?  If we don't go one this weekend, I have to postpone until January 6th and 7th!  We have an in-service day when we get back in 2017, and the students don't return until Wednesday, January 4th

I have middle school actors and I am worried about losing momentum, memorization, characterization.  Does anyone have any advice?

Best.

Ginny

Ginny A. K. Schreiber

Middle School Drama

Forest Ridge School

4800 139th Ave SE

Bellevue, WA 98006

425-641-0700

• 2.  RE: My performance may be snowed out this weekend! Help!

Posted 12-07-2016 07:32

I feel your pain, and I've got my fingers crossed for you.

A few years ago, my school had to postpone its production of Thoroughly Modern  Millie due to an outbreak of the flu among the cast  It was supposed to open in November, but was pushed back to January because of winter exams and the auditorium being booked for band, chorus, and orchestra concerts.  

I'd say if you have to push it back until January, push it back another week if you have any say in the dates.  this would give them more than two rehearsals to get back up to speed after being gone for three weeks.

Whatever ends up happening, the kids are going to take their cues from you. Be positive, confident, and calm center of their universe.  

[

------------------------------
    Robert Ellis
    North Richmond VA

• 3.  RE: My performance may be snowed out this weekend! Help!

Posted 12-07-2016 11:41

I really hope everything works out for you!

Back in October, our production of "Once Upon A Pandora's Box" was stormed out due to Hurricane Matthew. We unfortunately had to cancel the production over all because our auditorium was booked for the next 6 weeks, plus our District Thespian Competition was in mid-November. I REALLY hope this doesn't happen to you!

Can you do an in-school production and sell tickets for $2 or $3 so students get a chance to see it? That way your kids still get the opportunity to showcase what they were working on.

Heather Cribbs
    Theatre Director
    New Smyrna Beach High School
    New Smyrna Beach, FL

• 4.  RE: My performance may be snowed out this weekend! Help!

Posted 12-08-2016 07:43

The first time I directed "Thoroughly Modern Millie", we lost three weeks due to a combination of weather, winter breaks, and terrorist hoaxes (three bomb threats in 10 days!).  We made it up through extended Saturday and Sunday rehearsals and having two, rather than one, 10 out of 12.  Opening night was rough, but once we got through it, the other performances were a cake-walk.

The kids will work if you push them.  Their parents will also respond in support if they see there is a collective commitment on your part and that of your administration.  We did have some resistance from some parents, but the kids actually worked out extra time between classes to get together on their own and review lines, choreo and music.  In addition, you may find that your leads will gather on their own at each other's houses to rehearse.  

So far, we've never cancelled or had to reschedule a show.  That extra level of fear/panic is actually a very healthy motivator.  After all, in the life of a teenager, isn't everyday filled with some form of fear/panic?  By doing a show with such time constraints, they will see how the goal-oriented support you're structuring can help them in the long-term.

Break a leg!

Josh Ruben
    Fine Arts Head, Northwest Whitfield
    Chattanooga TN

• 5.  RE: My performance may be snowed out this weekend! Help!

Posted 12-08-2016 07:55

Oh no!
    We have never had to perform after a long break, but we have had many strange circumstances over the years.  Our worst was when four senior boys (one of them a brother in Joseph) were suspended from school the eve of opening night.  We knew, but we were not to tell them until the school called their families.  It was a fiasco.  We were able to tell one student that night who shadowed the brother in secret.  Long story short, the school actually let us take all of the brothers and the leads out of class for the day so that we could run the show multiple times in order to train our new brother.  Not sure what your school would think about the leads missing class, but our school was very supportive.  Also, the director and myself (stage manager) were given coverage.  It was a stressful time, but a great bonding experience for us and the show went off without a hitch.

Good luck!!
    Amber

Amber Hugus
    Harmony PA