Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Cinderella different versions

Posted 05-27-2018 08:16
    Hello,
    I too am looking at Cinderella and trying to discern the different versions. Is the Enchanted version the updated one?
    Sent from my iPad

• 2.  RE: Cinderella different versions

Posted 05-28-2018 06:41
    Nope...the Enchanted Version is based on the Whitney Houston/Brandy TV version from the 1990's.  The most current version is the Broadway version is the most recent one from 2012.  The original version and the enchanted version are the most similar in cast makeup.  Both still have the king and queen, the steward is younger and more "friend" to the prince.  There are just a few changes in the song.  The queen's BIG song from the original it out (some of the "lyrics" are put into The Prince is Giving a Ball).  Instead, the king and queen sing a sweet song together (Boys & Girls Like You and me).  In the Broadway revival has removed the king and queen character and the steward is in <g class="gr_ gr_1847 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" id="1847" data-gr-id="1847">kahoots</g> with the step-mother to take over the kingdom.  One of the stepsisters is more sympathetic and like Cinderella and is in love with a local villager.  I'm sure there are other differences, but those are the ones I recall right now.

------------------------------
    Lynda Gibson
    Director
    Troupe 2829
    Flushing High School
    Junior Troupe 88305
    Flushing Middle School

• 3.  RE: Cinderella different versions

Posted 05-28-2018 08:45
    Do the Broadway version, it is the current and the most updated. We had a blast doing it.

Sent from my iPad

• 4.  RE: Cinderella different versions

Posted 05-28-2018 20:54
    We did the Broadway version this past season. It is a technical challenge, but we really enjoyed doing it.

---------------------------------
    Christopher Gagnon
    Director of Theatre
    Terre Haute South Vigo High School
    Terre Haute IN
    ---------------------------------

• 5.  RE: Cinderella different versions

Posted 05-29-2018 05:31
    I did the original version this year, regretted it. The songs are not great, the later versions seem to develop story and character more as well. It's simple to pull off, but in all other respects seems to be inferior. The only show I have ever regretted choosing. (though it did sell out... so there is that, and the kids enjoyed it).

Jeffrey Davis
    Plainsboro NJ

• 6.  RE: Cinderella different versions

Posted 05-29-2018 06:19
    I honestly like the original and the enchanted better than the new broadway version.  I just wasn't into the changes they made.

Jessica Shaw
    Speech and Drama Teacher
    Alexandria VA

• 7.  RE: Cinderella different versions

Posted 05-29-2018 09:00
    Just to muddy the waters...
    I know nothing about the Broadway version. We did the enchanted version last year and had a great time! It has 6 lead/supporting roles for women and 3 for men, and it can handle a large ensemble. 

My guess is that you can't go wrong with either version - it will just depend on which fits your talent the best. Let me know if you want more details on the enchanted version.

Ken Buswell
    Drama Teacher
    Peachtree City, GA
    http://mcintoshtheater.org/

Theater kills ignorance

• 8.  RE: Cinderella different versions

Posted 05-29-2018 09:52
    We just finished an extremely successful run of Cinderella: Broadway Version. The script incorporates more characters than the Enchanted Version, and it has been modernized to add depth to many of the characters. I especially liked the treatment of Cinderella and her step sisters. If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out.

Jasmine Bucher
    Musical Director
    Palmyra PA

• 9.  RE: Cinderella different versions

Posted 05-30-2018 08:00
    I did  'A Tale of Cinderella' (Severins and Weiss) about 8 years ago and really enjoyed it.

Julia Wharton
    Theatre Director/Educator