Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Brother-sister (or otherwise non-romantic) scene

Posted 04-05-2019 12:12
    Hi all,
    I'm looking for a challenging exam scene for two of my seniors, preferably something not romantic. They requested a brother-sister scene, and I swear the only play I can think of is Glass Menagerie. Any suggestions? Thanks!

------------------------------
    Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator
    Fishersville VA

• 2.  RE: Brother-sister (or otherwise non-romantic) scene

Posted 04-06-2019 08:05
    Try Bar and Ger. The play has been around for a long time. It allows some exploration of the relationship through time.

• 3.  RE: Brother-sister (or otherwise non-romantic) scene

Posted 04-07-2019 09:17
    The playwright Theresa Rebeck lives near my school. The local summer theater did a production of her Downstairs. The roles are an older sister and brother and there are some wonderful exchanges between the two.

Anna

Anna Bean
    Teacher and Director of Theater 
    Long Trail School
    Dorset, VT 05251

• 4.  RE: Brother-sister (or otherwise non-romantic) scene

Posted 04-07-2019 03:15
    Cassy,

I'd look at Circuits by Rachel LePore.  It was a big hit in Playworks of 2012, and it's gotten a lot of productions since then. 

https://www.samuelfrench.com/p/10032/circuits/

The brother's dead, but he doesn't act like it. He has scenes with his sister that would be a good fit for what you're looking for, and then scenes with his sister and the boy she's interested in that are really funny.

Stephen Gregg
    Playwright
    Venice CA

• 5.  RE: Brother-sister (or otherwise non-romantic) scene

Posted 04-08-2019 10:20
    Cassy,

You might want to take a look at "Asleep On The Wind," by Ellen Byron. It's a companion piece to "Graceland" that takes place about 10 years before where the main character has a conversation with her favorite older brother, Beau.

Jen

Jennifer Jordan
    Director of Theater and Dance
    Miss Hall's School
    Pittsfield MA

• 6.  RE: Brother-sister (or otherwise non-romantic) scene

Posted 04-08-2019 10:21
    Here is the blurb from DPS:

ASLEEP ON THE WIND. The time is ten years before the time of GRACELAND, the place, a small clearing in Bayou Teche, Louisiana, the "special place" that Rootie refers to in the other play. This is where Rootie and her favorite brother, Beau, a handsome, sensitive and restless young man of thirty come to talk in private and to escape her other brothers, two high-spirited hot rodders who seem to delight in pestering their shy, reclusive sister. This time Beau has a double purpose for their meeting: to persuade Rootie to try to stick it out at home and in school and to reach beyond him for companionship; and also to tell her that he has enlisted in the army and has requested service in Vietnam. Inevitably the news comes as a deep shock to Rootie, but it is the way of its telling that makes the play so touching and evocative-and that in the end allows Rootie to accept the fact that her life, for better or worse, will never again be the same. (1 man, 1 woman.)

Jennifer Jordan
    Director of Theater and Dance
    Miss Hall's School
    Pittsfield MA

• 7.  RE: Brother-sister (or otherwise non-romantic) scene

Posted 05-14-2019 00:50
    There is a good brother and sister scene in Curse of the Starving Class by Sam Shepard.  

Julie Ingram
    Norris Middle School - Room 40
    8th grade Language Arts & Theatre Teacher
    ASB Advisor

Parents - please sign-up for classroom notices at classdojo.com
    - also available as a free app on your mobile device! :)

Virus-free. www.avast.com