Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Maternity leave

Posted 05-27-2015 15:26

Hi, I am due Aug. 2 which means I will not be starting the beginning of the year with my students. This is frustrating to me since I want to team build and build a foundation. Any tips? Anyone experience this before? I just wonder what I should start with since a theatre (person) teacher will not be my sub. Suggestions? 

------------------------------
    Kimberly Guadagnoli
    Colton CA

• 2.  RE:Maternity leave

Posted 05-27-2015 20:42
    I did that a few years ago and it was toughest on the beginning students since I had to retrain them when I returned. If you can find someone with at least a little bit of theatre experience, that is best, since they will "get it." The advanced class did ok since they knew my expectations and some had been through the beginning of the year with me for three years. When you talk to potential long-term subs, be very clear about what you are expecting. To me, the toughest was lesson planning. Having to write out detailed explanations of every activity that I just know how to do was extremely tedious, especially when I was exhausted and had a baby that screamed for hours on end, not letting me sit and type. I would recommend getting as much of it done now as possible. If you want to talk, or need support from a fellow theatre teacher mom, feel free to message me.

-------------------------------------------
    Heather Brandon
    Bakersfield CA
    -------------------------------------------

Sent via Higher Logic Mobile

• 3.  RE: Maternity leave

Posted 05-28-2015 07:08

It's a huge pain to deal with, I remember it well. My students were used to doing just about nothing when i came back in after the birth of my daughter. Even though it may be boring, it was easier to have my sub stick to the more traditional academic topics- theatre history, play analysis, etc. When I came back, I started the first day as if it was the first day of school. The kids will very quickly forget that you were even gone. Good luck!

April Fritts
    Teacher
    Cecil County Public Schools
    Havre de Grace MD

• 4.  RE: Maternity leave

Posted 05-28-2015 11:00

Any chance you could get a dance teacher to come in once a week and the students could learn a "routine" over the weeks?  Maybe you could get a guest from a community theatre, college, or dance school who wanted to volunteer or advertise their program.

Vicki Bartholomew
    Playwright
    Sherwood OR

• 5.  RE: Maternity leave

Posted 05-28-2015 12:28

I went through that my first year, and now have the same thing this coming year. I am actually sitting in my classroom trying to get as much done now as humanly possible. I would spend too much time my first year working on leave. I refuse to this time.  I'm going to record videos of myself for some of the things we will be doing. See if sub has any knowledge on something theatre. Mine is going to spend some time on set design, construction and painting. But like someone else said, sticking with the basic history etc is easiest.
    Amanda Davidson
    McCook NE

• 6.  RE: Maternity leave

Posted 05-28-2015 16:09

Hi Kimberly,

Congratulations on your soon-to-be new addition! A few years ago, I had to miss the first two weeks of school because of jury duty (ugh!). I think talking with your sub ahead of time and going over ice breaker games is a good way to start. I also made a recorded introduction of myself and had the sub play it for the students. It was kind of a visual welcome to the kids, expectations for the class, and an overview of what we were going to cover throughout the year. There are many get-to-know you games and activities that can be done over multiple periods. If you are gone for more than two weeks, then maybe start with a short unit on projection and enunciation - something manageable for a non-drama sub, but still hits on some basics.

Good luck!

Nancy Moran
    Drama Instructor
    Los Altos High School
    Los Altos CA