Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  High School Movement for Theatre Course

Posted 10-25-2018 17:26
    Anyone have a course description, outline or (dare I hope) syllabus for a movement for theatre course taught at the high school level? I'm creating an elective that focuses on movement only - not dance, as we have a program already. Would include mime schools, stage combat, devised theatre, among other things.

------------------------------
    Nathan Emmons
    Theatre Director
    The Bishop's School
    La Jolla CA

• 2.  RE: High School Movement for Theatre Course

Posted 10-26-2018 08:40
    Check out the units in the Drama Teacher Academy. There are units on devising, mask work, and Laban work. Great source!

John Perry
    Retired Theatre Teacher

• 3.  RE: High School Movement for Theatre Course

Posted 10-26-2018 11:22
    I'm actually looking for a course outline and/or syllabus for a semester-long class, if anyone has one. But I'll check Drama Teacher Academy too, thanks!

Nathan Emmons
    Theatre Director
    La Jolla CA

• 4.  RE: High School Movement for Theatre Course

Posted 10-26-2018 15:42

Have been doing movement theater all my life, performing, teaching, mask making and a member of all the acting unions. I could tell you, some of the basics, but for movement theater it is a lot of knowing the movement and actions. I have a few half written books and your post gives me inspiration to finish some of these books. There is the book my teacher wrote, "Jacques Lecoq, The Moving Body, Teaching Creative Theater." The book is translated into English. I do not think it gives you what you are asking for but would help. Jacques Lecoq is the master teacher that really put movement theater on the map. Here are a few of the most important exercises that I use and still do:

From Lecoq*:

The Table*, 9 movements that are vital for theater students and performers.

The Undulation* of the full body, arm, hand and foot; this is also important used for many things.

Walking in different ways with various characteristic

Mirror exercises

Rhythm games and exercises, this is something that is often over looked and has a big impact on all the other development exercises you are doing. There are several I have developed.

For mime, starting small. Student playing with a mime ball, them growing to passing around an imaginary mime ball. Do not first pass a real ball around as the holding is different. I have lots of different exercises using a mime ball.

Hope this helps a little. Yes I do teach workshops and will be planning a summer Commedia dell'Arte workshop for the summer and maybe a few before then. When I give a full workshop it is like three month course in a few weeks.

If you have any direct questions for me please feel free to contact me.

Stanley Allan Sherman

Mask Arts Company

www.maskarts.com

[Stanley Allan] [Sherman] [Custom theater mask making, Commedia dell'Arte masks & workshops. NYC winter holiday workshops and summer workshops]
    [Mask Maker, Commedia dell'Arte expert, Teacher, Mime, Movement, Actor, Director, performer, producer of workshops and shows.]
    [Mask Arts Company www.maskart.com]
    [New York] [NY][stanley@maskarts.com[212-255-2882][il-dottore@commediau.com][New York][NY][Roving Classical Commedia University* (*totally unaccredited) ]

• 5.  RE: High School Movement for Theatre Course

Posted 10-28-2018 17:42
    Hi, Nathan!

I created such a unit several years ago. I can send it to you in hard copy form, and you are welcome to use it as you see fit. If you are interested, send me the address you'd like it mailed to. 
    My personal email is bernhard,nancy64@gmail.com.

Cheers,
    Nancy Bernhard
    retired theatre teacher
    Salinas High School, Salinas, CA

• 6.  RE: High School Movement for Theatre Course

Posted 10-29-2018 17:03
    Hi, Nancy.

I would love a copy of your movement unit as well.  Can you reply with your email again?  There might be something wrong with the email address you provided because it won't send.

Many thanks,

[Karen] [Malone]
    [National Board Certified Teacher of English]
    IB Theatre Teacher
    ITS Advisor
    [Commack High Schoo]
    [Commack] [New York]

• 7.  RE: High School Movement for Theatre Course

Posted 10-29-2018 22:23
    I discovered that there is the problem of a misplaced comma in the email address above. (The poor woman at the other email address has gotten so many requests for a theatre movement syllabus, and she has no idea why! There might be a play in here somewhere, the title of which might be "The Problem of A Misplaced Comma".)
    The correct email address is bernhard.nancy64@gmail.com

Michael Bergman
    Teacher/Director
    The Potomac School
    McLean, VA

• 8.  RE: High School Movement for Theatre Course

Posted 10-30-2018 10:03
    Thanks to all of you who requested the movement unit! I have only partially joined the Digital Age, meaning that I only have hard copies. However, I am more than willing to mail the unit. Karen, and anyone else who is interested, please send me a mailing address to the REAL email below.

Michael, thank you so much for spotting the near-fatal flaw in my email. Here it is, again:  bernhard.nancy64@gmail.com

Cheers, all!
    Nancy

• 9.  RE: High School Movement for Theatre Course

Posted 10-31-2018 14:48
    Hi Everyone,

I am on the administrative side these days, but taught Movement For The Stage for about 10 years (1/2 year course). I would be happy to share what I did with anyone who would like it.

However, with this course (as someone else mentioned) it's really all about the teacher's training.  I am fortunate to be trained in stage combat, pantomime, and slow motion movement so I was comfortable teaching the proper techniques for all of them in the classroom.  It's not something you can get from a book or a resource.  Still, I'm very happy to share whatever I can.  Please let me know if you are interested.  

Eric Brian Nyquist
    Director of Fine and Performing Arts
    Hamden Public Schools, CT

Eric Nyquist
    Hamden CT