Open Forum

View Only

Inclusive audition packets

• 1.  Inclusive audition packets

Posted 08-14-2018 17:15
    I'm wondering how other school programs and directors have handled the question of gender identity and sexual orientation in audition packets. That is, if you have produced a high school play with gay characters (e.g., "Almost, Maine"), how have you gauged in the audition packet that a straight student would be okay being cast as a gay character, or vice-versa?

I've already added a line in our audition packets that ask students to indicate the pronoun they use. We have a significant LGBTQ population in our drama club, but we also have a significant "conservative" population, too, so I want to be able to ask about their comfort level portraying a character with a sexual orientation different from their own. Considering the recent backlash about straight actors playing LGBTQ characters (such as Scarlett Johannson) , I'm curious about where we are in high school/middle school theatre and these kinds of casting decisions, which can be sensitive to students, and how some of you have addressed that in the audition process.

For instance, I'm thinking of adding a question like: "Would you mind being cast in a role that differs from your gender identity or sexual orientation?" Or is that even appropriate to ask, considering some students may not even really know or be embarrassed to talk about; or use this as an opportunity for creating a safe, creative space for students?

Does this make sense? I know it's a sensitive topic, so the wisdom of the group is most appreciated!

------------------------------
    Jared Griffin
    KODIAK AK

• 2.  RE: Inclusive audition packets

Posted 08-15-2018 08:30
    First of all, breathe. Students who are part of your program are likely there because they find value and purpose there and with you. 

Second, it's theatre. Actors are always asked to play roles which are different from their own identity on some level and, to me, that's the point. It's how we gain new perspectives and share in others' experiences, so asking "do you mind" is unnecessary: they auditioned. Plus, you know the student. If you have a particular doubt, you may speak with a student individually.

I hope this helps.

Robert Lussier
    Drama Club Advisor
    Hanover Area School District
    Hanover Twp. PA

• 3.  RE: Inclusive audition packets

Posted 08-15-2018 08:32
    We are seeing more transgender students in our program as well.  This year I have a line for their gender and then for them to circle the types of roles they want to play (male or female).  When we have shows that might feature gay characters, I'll include a line about that, but I don't want to use the space for that all the time if it doesn't apply.

Raymond Palasz
    Auditorium Director/Director of Theatre
    Munster IN

• 4.  RE: Inclusive audition packets

Posted 08-15-2018 09:54
    It's not just about gender identity and sexuality. I've always asked "Are there any roles you would like to play?" and "Are there any roles you would prefer not to play?" With the understanding that not everyone gets what they want.

Billy Houck

• 5.  RE: Inclusive audition packets

Posted 08-15-2018 12:07
    What a great question.  At my school the Theatre club has a very high LGBTQ group of students so it is a question we tackled head on.  We have now removed ANY question about gender identification on the forms because honestly they are acting and that is the point.  We have two questions on the forms to address the issues that may arise.  One asks if they are willing to be cast genderblind and the other asks if there is anything they are unwilling to do on stage that the character might need to do.  Most students are fine being cast genderblind, but it is helpful to know the students who are not.  The second question usually is where I have students say they won't kiss on stage however we just did Almost, Maine and I did have two kids state they were not comfortable playing a gay character.  If there don't say it outright you can always ask during auditions if you worry or don't know the student yet. 

The important thing is you don't want your LGBTQ kids to feel like the spotlight is on them because they are "different" and you don't want kids of conservative leanings to feel they don't belong either.  Leave the questions vague and let the students state their discomfort.  Then you get to decide what to do with it.

Keenan Shionalyn
    Math Instructor/Drama Advisor
    Kingston WA

• 6.  RE: Inclusive audition packets

Posted 08-16-2018 06:31
    I've always gone by best audition gets the part. If a transgender student identifies as male they get consideration for male roles only and if they identify as female that's what they are considered for. It's the same with gay roles orientation doesn't matter as much acting ability. Best audition...That's the key.

• 7.  RE: Inclusive audition packets

Posted 08-15-2018 12:22
    We have specific questions on our audition forms that include questions like willingness to cut or dye hair, kiss another actor onstage and play a homosexual character on stage. We're in a reasonably conservative area so we have a significant portion of our population that is uncomfortable with any or all of these. Then I simply take their comfort into consideration when casting.

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 8.  RE: Inclusive audition packets

Posted 08-16-2018 09:52
    ​Good morning,

Great and sensitive subject. We do not get too into the weeds with the audition form. Billy's suggestion is what we have. Of course, a lot would depend on the show. What role you want, what you don't want, will you accept any role.

Crit Fisher
    Lighting/Sound Designer
    New Albany High School

• 9.  RE: Inclusive audition packets

Posted 08-16-2018 11:18
    I agree that asking them if there is anything they are comfortable with (or not comfortable with) that might be required in the show is a good way to go. 

I recently listened to Fresh Air with Terry Gross where she was interviewing Desiree Akhavan who wrote and directed The Miseducation of Cameron Post, a new movie that is about a teenage girl being sent to conversion therapy. Terry asked her whether she felt it was important to have kids in the movie who were actually LGBTQ, given the casting controversy you cited with Scarlett Johansson, among others.

Desiree said she really didn't feel it was appropriate to ask teenagers about their sexuality as part of the casting process and I wholeheartedly agree. While I've been very lucky to work with and learn from kids over the years who have been very open about their gender or sexuality, this hasn't always been the case and some kids may not want to play characters due to conservative beliefs or, conversely, may not want to play characters that feel too close to their experience for fear of being "themselves" in character. 

So, I guess what I'm saying it is--its complicated. The best we can do is ask all kids what they are comfortable playing that is specific to the show we are casting and keep an open mind about their reasons for their discomforts. I can't say I "always" knew this, but after 20 years I am really trying to lead with the empathy we hope our art teaches.

Jessica Speck
    Drama Director
    Theatre and English Teacher
    Thomas S. Wootton HS
    Rockville, MD

• 10.  RE: Inclusive audition packets

Posted 08-17-2018 12:22
    In 25 years in middle school, I have had 4 students with gender questions. I have a close relationship with the school guidance counselor who gives me sometimes a heads up about a student and is invaluable when seeking advice about handling situations.
    Middle schoolers are at a tough spot in their sexuality, whether straight or LGBT. I stopped having kisses in any of my middle school productions when a boy said to me, "I really don't want my first kiss to be in front of a bunch of people." ​
    That being said, my current transgender/perhaps masculine lesbian is trying everything. I asked her (her preferred pronoun) if she wanted to read for a make or female part, she said male would be easier. Ok. Then this summer she wanted to be Juliet in the balcony scene. Fine. 
    Some of the boys asked if they could read for Mary Poppins since CC seemed to be able to change gender. (Ok, teach, deal with this on the spot!) I said if they truly identified as female I would have no problem but It's not a game. If you want to identify as gender fluid you have to dress female part or all of the time and be willing to proclaim your identity. They seemed to understand mostly when I said it wasn't a game, but a life choice.

Mary Todd Kaercher
    Mound MN

• 11.  RE: Inclusive audition packets

Posted 08-17-2018 17:37
    Here is a link to a copy of one our audition forms, which students have carefully crafted the wording of these questions in conjunction with continued discussions about inclusion and making the assumption of diversity from the get go---It's a copy, so feel free to make own for yourself and edit it to suit your needs.

Antigone Audition Sheet
    Google Docs remove preview
    Antigone Audition Sheet
    By completing and submitting this form electronically, you are committing to joining us for auditions for Wednesday, September 6th & Thursday September 7th, 4:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. both evenings. Select auditioners will asked to return on Monday evening, September 11th from 4:00 pm. to 7:00 pm .
    View this on Google Docs >
    https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1jNP1P0qJ1Quug576A1pAmy5LErgQG3bOSOTShXi-jt4/edit?usp=sharing

Hope Love

• 12.  RE: Inclusive audition packets

Posted 08-19-2018 10:50
    I think sometimes we put too much pressure on students when we ask them complicated questions about their sexuality and gender during a time that they may still be working to figure that out and might not be ready to discuss it with everyone, let alone answer survey style questions about it. Students who are boldly confident will already be having those conversations with us as their educators if we are providing the environment where it's safe to do so (usually as theatre teachers we are), and students who aren't ready to put it on paper don't need spotlighting on an audition form that forces them to answer questions they aren't ready to yet.

I think the easiest way to to go is if you are worried some students might not be comfortable with certain roles, then just put on your audition form a line for them to list roles they are not comfortable playing. This is different than what roles they don't want (some will list every role except one if you leave it that open) but more about what they are comfortable with. This opens the door for all types of students, not just your LBGTQ students, as some kids may be uncomfortable with all kinds of roles you wouldn't expect for a variety of personal reasons. 

Two more things we have done that I think will help in this area:
    1. Don't ask students what roles they are interested in on an audition form, instead choose a few good sides from the show for auditions from a variety of types of characters and tell them they can pick from any of those sides, regardless of the character's gender, age,... just pick the one they like best or feel they can use to best show their abilities. At auditions you can always have them read other things. Most importantly though, tell them that when you are auditioning for the show you are auditioning for the show and not a specific role. When we started doing this we realized how many kids were refusing to audition for certain parts because they didn't see themselves in them (they often don't know themselves well enough yet as performers any way), or simply because their friend was and they didn't want to appear to be competing or mess up the friendship. We tell them when they come to audition they are saying they want to be in the show no matter what and that they trust us as the directors to put them in the right place not only for their abilities and growth but for the good of the show as a whole. This totally changed the competitive nature of auditions and meant that we as directors had the freedom to really look at the kids not just for what they wanted, but for where we saw them.
    2. Don't worry about the gender of the actors. This is controversial to say and some playwrights have been picky about it, but we have found that the majority of playwrights, publishing companies, and the theatre world in general is beginning to give up gender as a criteria. Instead focus on who can best play the part, who will be most believable, who will best tell the story. Does this mean that the gender of characters will often match with the gender of the actors, sure, but it leaves room for it to not. I want to be clear we don't change any character's gender in the show, we just have actors play the gender of the character, which may or may not match their own gender. We don't mention gender on our audition forms, and we don't use gender as a separating factor when considering who can play which roles. Gendered schools (all boy or all girl schools) have been doing this forever, and historically there is precedence for this all over theatre and in modern interpretations as well. If all students know that their gender isn't a factor in casting, then you aren't singling out your LGBTQ actors because everyone is in the same boat (trust me we are gearing up for Newsies casting and the girls are super excited that we don't use gender in casting). Theatre gives us a chance to walk in someone else's shoes, and that might mean playing characters who have different gender identities than ourselves or how we present. If we as educators approach it as a chance to play and not a huge choice to make, then all of our students, LGBTQ or not, will feel more at ease and as equals in the process.

Keep making your place a safe place, but don't be so afraid to just not worry about gender. Most kids who are LGBTQ or otherwise would probably prefer that we as adults stop making such a big deal about gender in general and just let them all be looked at as equals any way.

Kathleen McNulty Mann
    mcnulkl@bay.k12.fl.us

Program Director
    Arnold High School Theatre
    Thespian Troupe 6371
    Panama City Beach, FL

District 10 Chair & State Logistics
    Florida State Junior Thespians

Board Member
    Membership Committee Chair
    Florida Association for Theatre Education