Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Theatre Arts Manifesto

Posted 07-24-2014 09:54
      |   view attached
    I totally stole this from a meme going around about a year ago and just plugged in my school name and added a few things. I had two copies enlarged and laminated for each side of my classroom door. Somebody asked me to share it here so they can do the same! TEXT TRANSCRIPT (see photo for formatting ideas) The Aki Kurose Theatre Arts Manifesto: Theatre is Science Theatre is Technology Theatre is Engineering Theatre is Mathematics Theatre is History Theatre is Business Theatre is Physical Education Theatre is Economics Theatre is Literacy. Theatre is taught at Aki Kurose Middle School NOT Because you are expected to major in Theatre in college, NOT Because you are expected to perform all through life, NOT So you can relax, NOT So you can have fun, BUT So you will recognize BEAUTY. So you will be SENSITIVE. So you will be closer to an INFINITE beyond this world. So you will have more LOVE, More COMPASSION, More GENTLENESS, More GOOD, in short, More LIFE. Of what value would it be to make a prosperous living Unless you know how to LIVE? THAT is why Theatre is taught at Aki Kurose Middle School. ------------------------------------------- Benjamin Stuart Middle School Theatre Arts Teacher Seattle Public Schools Seattle WA -------------------------------------------

• 2.  RE:Theatre Arts Manifesto

Posted 07-24-2014 22:27
    Thank you so much for sharing this. It's truly powerful!

-------------------------------------------
    Danysha Lamadieu
    Covington GA

Sent via Higher Logic Mobile

• 3.  RE: Theatre Arts Manifesto

Posted 07-25-2014 11:10
    Dear Ben,

Thanks for forwarding the Theatre Arts Manifesto.  Like you, it will be posted on my office door!  A few years ago, I wrote a poem about this same issue, which appeared in Teaching Theatre back in 2011.  It was a response to my frustration with one colleague's perception of what I do as a drama educator.  I encourage others to use it - just substitute your school in for my own.

What do I teach at Sidwell Friends School?

By Tim Reagan 

I don't teach English - yet literature and stories are at the heart of my discipline. 

I don't teach History - although I encourage students to investigate the social and historical implications of events and how they affect those with whom we live. 

I don't teach Science - but introduce the analysis of human behavior, society, and the natural world.

I don't teach Math - yet evaluating structure, space, and change is a skill constantly being developed. 

I don't teach the Visual Arts - although calling on the elements of form, line, shape, color, texture, space, and value is commonplace.

I don't teach a Foreign Language - but my students learn to decode and encode dialogue in scripts and plays. 

I don't teach Music - yet rely on the elements of pitch, melody, harmony, rhythm, dynamics, timbre, texture, and articulation to share this craft.

I don't teach Technology - but foster the use of tools to control and adapt to the work we do.

I don't teach Physical Education - although working as part of a team while making connections between cognitive functions and physical movement is a major benefit of this process.

I teach Drama.

Tim Reagan
    Silver Spring MD

• 4.  RE: Theatre Arts Manifesto

Posted 07-25-2014 14:21
    BRILLIANT. Thanks for sharing. Sometimes what we do is so underestimated, but that really rocks. ------------------------------------------- Kelly Thomas Mesquite TX -------------------------------------------