EdTA Theatre Education Conference

View Only
  • 1.  Shakespeare Whispers Into Your Ear Workshop!

Posted 09-04-2019 21:17
      |   view attached

Title: Shakespeare Whispers Into Your Ear: First Folio Technique

Day: Saturday, Sept. 21

Time: 8:30am-10:00am

Room: Fulton Ferry 

See Shakespeare in an entirely new light!

Join Kevin Long (www.kevinlongdirector.com), associate professor of theatre at Harper College and co-author of the book, "Bring on the Bard," to unlock the secret to performing Shakespeare's work. Explore the language and theatre of the world's greatest playwright through the use of the First Folio of 1623. Using Shakespeare's own methods, actors will learn how to interpret text and build a foundation for inspiring performances. This exhilarating process will result in a production that is extremely tactile, visceral and accessible. The First Folio method is the foundation of Chicago Shakespeare Theatre.   

With the rigorous performance schedule of the repertory system during Shakespeare's day, there was no time to rehearse. Therefore, Shakespeare created a system that quickly and efficiently provided the actor with the entirety of the character. He achieved this by placing essential clues for the actors directly into the text!Unfortunately, since that time, many editors have removed this vital, intended text and deleted important acting clues in the name of regularity. The First Folio is the most authentic manual available to Shakespearean actors today!

Please print and bring the document "EdTA Olivia TWELFTH NIGHT Shakespeare Whispers Into Your Ear."  The document can be found in the Library section of the conference community site.  I look forward to seeing you soon!

All my very best,

Kevin

------------------------------
    Kevin Long
    Palatine IL

• 2.  RE: Shakespeare Whispers Into Your Ear Workshop!

Posted 09-06-2019 08:22
    I'm intrigued! This sounds fun.

Susan Nieten
    Theatre Teacher, Spring Play Director,
    & Thespian Troupe Director
    at Noblesville High School (Noblesville, IN)

Twitter: @mrsnieten

• 3.  RE: Shakespeare Whispers Into Your Ear Workshop!

Posted 09-12-2019 07:27
    Same here. We have an original practices Shakespeare company here, and I'm very intrigued by their work.

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator
    Fishersville VA

• 4.  RE: Shakespeare Whispers Into Your Ear Workshop!

Posted 09-12-2019 07:36
    Good morning Cassy!

I shower a welcome on ye-welcome all!

-Henry VIII

Thank you so much for your message.  I hope you come to my workshop.  I would love to share my work with you with the hope that it will inspire you as well.  I witness time and time again how actors, of all ages, who were a bit reluctant to work on and perform the works of Shakespeare, turn into actors who become truly passionate, excited, and fully engaged with these beautiful plays.  They see Shakespeare in an entirely new light and not only find a new love for his work, but also see why it has stood the test of time.  It really is amazing.  This is my true passion.  The folks at Chicago Shakespeare call me a "Shakespeare Missionary" and I feel that truly describes me well.

Have a wonderful morning!
    All my sincere best,
    Kevin

Kevin Long
    Palatine IL

• 5.  RE: Shakespeare Whispers Into Your Ear Workshop!

Posted 09-12-2019 07:35
    Good morning Susan!

I shower a welcome on ye-welcome all!

-Henry VIII

Thank you so much for your message.  I hope you come to my workshop.  I would love to share my work with you with the hope that it will inspire you as well.  I witness time and time again how actors, of all ages, who were a bit reluctant to work on and perform the works of Shakespeare, turn into actors who become truly passionate, excited, and fully engaged with these beautiful plays.  They see Shakespeare in an entirely new light and not only find a new love for his work, but also see why it has stood the test of time.  It really is amazing.  This is my true passion.  The folks at Chicago Shakespeare call me a "Shakespeare Missionary" and I feel that truly describes me well.

Have a wonderful morning!
    All my sincere best,
    Kevin

Kevin Long
    Palatine IL