Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Performance Safety Concerns regarding singing (projecting?)

Posted 05-08-2020 10:01
    Hello, 

I recently had a friend who teaches singing and choral music reach out with this article which synopsizes a lengthy panel webinar held by the National Association of Teachers of Singing, a few other singing associations and the Performing Arts Medical Association. Basically, it seems to argue that there is not a safe way for groups of singers to rehearse or perform safely until a vaccine is found and there is a strong treatment for Covid-19. 

I'm not terribly familiar with many of the organizations listed by the article, so I'm not sure what weight to give the panel. I'm wondering if other people are having conversations about this topic at their schools in regards to musical performances next year. I'm also wondering if anyone has seen any studies/formal conversations by theater performance organizations about non-musical performances - vocally projecting onstage is similar to singing and can likely project particles the same much-more-than-6-feet distance, as well as create the increased aerosol particles that they talk about in the article. 

Would appreciate any resources/thoughts people are discussing in their departments or with their administration. My admin has asked for my guidance here, and outside of articles like the one above I'm not sure how to guide them - which creates a bleak outlook for my department next year. I want to keep a positive outlook, but also want to make sure that we don't contribute to a super-spreader event like this one. 

T
    hanks for your thoughts.

------------------------------
    Erin Coulter
    Theater Teacher
    The Hill School
    The Plains VA

• 2.  RE: Performance Safety Concerns regarding singing (projecting?)

Posted 05-08-2020 15:49
    I have nothing to contribute yet, but I want to follow this conversation.  That article and its implications have been keeping me up at night.
    I am hopeful that the EdTA leadership might provide some guidance/ recommendations on best practices...  
    Should we be doing only small-cast projects?  Only revues, vignettes pieces, or scene/monologue compilations so only a few kids are onstage at a time?  Should we even be producing FTF work right now?

Elana Kepner
    Theatre Instructor
    The Oakwood School
    Greenville NC

• 3.  RE: Performance Safety Concerns regarding singing (projecting?)

Posted 05-09-2020 12:23
    Here is the article: 
    https://www.middleclassartist.com/post/nats-panel-of-experts-lays-out-sobering-future-for-singers-no-vaccine-no-safe-public-singing

Elana Kepner
    Theatre Instructor
    The Oakwood School
    Greenville NC

• 4.  RE: Performance Safety Concerns regarding singing (projecting?)

Posted 05-09-2020 13:04
    Following

--
    Danyale Taylor
    Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
    Theatre Technical Director 
    Pi-Tech Club Coordinator
    XK∏ Step Team Advisor 
    The Paideia School, Atlanta GA
    256-506-2031

• 5.  RE: Performance Safety Concerns regarding singing (projecting?)

Posted 05-09-2020 07:04
    Hi! I’m following this as well, but I’m having trouble opening the link to the article you posted. What was the name of the article? Thanks so much! This topic concerns me too, I have been thinking a lot about this subject.

---------------------------------
    Lauren van Thiel
    Theatre Teacher/Director

Bethlehem PA
    ---------------------------------

• 6.  RE: Performance Safety Concerns regarding singing (projecting?)

Posted 05-10-2020 10:21
    This is the link to the whole 2 1/2 hour conversation hosted by The National Association of Teachers of Singing, the American Choral Directors Association (ACDA), Chorus America, Barbershop Harmony Society, and Performing Arts Medical Association (PAMA) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFl3GsVzj6Q

• 7.  RE: Performance Safety Concerns regarding singing (projecting?)

Posted 05-11-2020 09:32
    Here is the link to the original article/blog post I referenced. It was written in response to the webinar that Mark posted (thanks Mark!) and is an attempt to synopsize the takeaways that the author got from the webinar. That said, if you have time you should definitely listen to the webinar as we all have different programs and will likely have different takeaways. 

Erin Coulter
    Theater Director
    The Hill School
    The Plains VA

• 8.  RE: Performance Safety Concerns regarding singing (projecting?)

Posted 05-09-2020 11:34
    This podcast discussion with a Johns Hopkins epidemiologist may be of help.  The actual interview does not begin until the 7 minute mark and the real applications about safely working with students doesn't get started until about 23 minutes into the 45 minute session but the material before that gives some great background on how those who assess risk go about their business.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGzh4r5qxTw&fbclid=IwAR3m2Hws-5FlowZkbbEiOaZ6L5DKukH6gkzilcpAn_yI_kviDQEKDxx0tFg

Ben Martin
    Executive Director
    Missouri Aliiance for Arts Education
    Lee's Summit MO

• 9.  RE: Performance Safety Concerns regarding singing (projecting?)

Posted 05-12-2020 15:16
    To answer your question, all of the groups that sponsored the original webinar you posted are quality organizations.  To be sure, the contents are troublesome, but the sources themselves - not saying the information is 100% at this time, but these are what I would consider trusted resources.

Amy Learn
    Ballwin MO