Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Greek Plays

Posted 08-17-2016 08:10

Year two, and already my program has doubled. I now have five classes instead of three, including an advanced class. It's small, but strong.  I'd like to do a greek play with them as their second semester project.  Of course, there's Antigone, but I'm wondering what some of the favorites are out there. Something they will understand and relate to. I have three female students and the rest are male.

I'm thinking of doing it in the rotunda in our main building, with a the Greek Chorus above us on the second floor. It can't require much in the way of tech.

Ideas?

Rebecca Rajswasser. M.Ed.

Forest High School
    English I; Intro to Drama; Acting I-IV

Director, Troupe 3069

671-7400; 58562

[Florida has a very broad Public Records Law. All correspondence sent to or from this entity is subject to the Public Records Law of Florida. Email communication may be subject to public and media disclosure upon request. Under Florida Law, e-mail addresses are public records. If you do not want your e-mail address released in response to a public-records request, do not send electronic mail to this entity. Instead, contact this office by phone or in writing.]

~An Equal Opportunity School District~

• 2.  RE: Greek Plays

Posted 08-17-2016 09:34

'Antigone' is usually a safe bet as there isn't generally as much sex as 'the rest', but there are options. (I think the line from 'Something Rotten' is priceless: "Or you could see a play from Greek mythology/See a mother have se* with her son!')

It will depend on what your community/administration can handle. Sometimes content in Greek dramas and comedies are easier to object to than Shakespeare, because, you know, language.

Here's a quick guide to the ten essential Greek works you could consider:

10 Greek Plays That Are Essential to Any Education - BachelorsDegreeOnline.com

BachelorsDegreeOnline.com remove preview
    10 Greek Plays That Are Essential to Any Education - BachelorsDegreeOnline.com
    Whether you love Greek history and culture or find it dull beyond words, there's no denying that classical scholarship has had a big impact on just about every succeeding aspect of Western culture.
    View this on BachelorsDegreeOnline.com >
    ------------------------------
    Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor/Assistant Department Head of English
    Ruskin FL

• 3.  RE: Greek Plays

Posted 08-17-2016 09:47

You could look at Antigone, Now from Playscripts. It has a small cast that can be expanded. I turned the solo chorus into a multi-actor chorus for competition.

With only two actresses Shakespeare might be good, too. You could do Macbeth with two women. 

The Birds by Don Zolodis might be an option. 

I like The Persians. I see it as dealing with the aftermath of war and how do we treat the losers.

John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 4.  RE: Greek Plays

Posted 08-17-2016 11:21

How about Medea or Prometheus Bound?

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 5.  RE: Greek Plays

Posted 08-18-2016 08:48

The Trojan Women.  If you are looking for a play with lots of roles for girls. 

Irene Imboden
    Teacher/ Drama Director
    Troy City Schools
    Tipp City OH

• 6.  RE: Greek Plays

Posted 08-26-2016 12:53

Have you read Antigone by David Rush from Playscripts, Inc? You may like this version as well. 

Carolyn Kovar
    Florissant MO