Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Grommets?

Posted 10-23-2016 20:29
    I want to add new masking curtains for our production of The Little Mermaid.  Rosebrand is pretty pricey... Where else can I get 2-3 pieces of 19 yards of fabric each, grommet-ed?  Or... I thought of using old school curtain hooks.  Thoughts?  Also... fabric for water...I want something with multiple blue's not a solid...again need 2-3 pieces of 19 yards preferably without a seams any recommendations?  Type/material of fabric, reasonably priced manufacturers?  Colors on the Internet are not always what they appear.  I need to set samples before I spend money on these. 
    Inline image 1    Inline image 2  Inline image 3
    --
    Christine Gatto Dougherty
    Delsea HS Theatre Teacher
    School Play Director
    856.694.0100 x376

"Shimmy to the mic!"

• 2.  RE: Grommets?

Posted 10-24-2016 06:18

You can get grommets and the tools at your local fabric store, I have seen them at JoAnn Fabrics here but you may have different shops there, they are pretty inexpensive and easy to use.

Also for the blue fabric you could get a blue fabric and use fabric paint to add the other blues you are looking for

------------------------------
    Jerry Onik
    V.P. Theatrical Supplies and Equipment
    Omaha NE

• 3.  RE: Grommets?

Posted 10-24-2016 08:04

I always check out prom supply sites, like Stumps or Shindigz for large ffabric pieces like that. Doesn't always match the quality of RoseBrand, but price difference makes up for it.  I also get some ideas for set pieces from those sites.

Darlene Shaw

Darlene Shaw
    Drama Coach
    LaGrange GA

• 4.  RE: Grommets?

Posted 10-24-2016 09:48
    Check Rosebrand's close-out fabrics.  There are some incredible deals!

Rick Osann
    Bonny Eagle High School
    Standish, ME

The information transmitted herein is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the e-mail and any attachments from any computer.

MSAD #6 - Bonny Eagle Schools
    Buxton - Hollis - Limington - Standish - Frye Island, Maine
    Helping all students to reach their full potential

• 5.  RE: Grommets?

Posted 10-24-2016 10:13

I would be sure that the fabric is fire resistant either by treating or by the fabric being inherently fire resistant. 

For the water you might try dyeing the fabric different shades of blue. I find using Procion dye works great. 

John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 6.  RE: Grommets?

Posted 10-25-2016 06:20
    Good morning,
    I have found Fabric.com to be a good source for large amounts of fabric.  You would need to grommet the curtain and buy the burlap header to sew yourself, but that's not a really difficult task.  They have those items as well.  You can order samples as well.

And, if  you are making the curtains yourself, Rosco sells the fire retardant  which you can use.  Just document what and when you did it to make them fire retardant.

Holly