Open Forum

View Only

Opening Night Traditions?

• 1.  Opening Night Traditions?

Posted 02-09-2016 01:40
    Hey folks,
    I'm looking for some suggestions for an opening night tradition done pre show with a cast. Not warm ups, but rather something as inspiration and last motivation before hitting the stage. We're opening our first musical at our new school this week and I'm looking for something unique to establish in our program which may continue for years to come. I hope what I'm asking makes some sense. It is tech week after all... :)

Many thanks in advance.

---------------------------------
    Adam Pankow
    Fargo ND

• 2.  RE: Opening Night Traditions?

Posted 02-09-2016 01:57

We and I know even the kids today would all sing bohemian rhapsody before our performances.

------------------------------
    Brandon Lively
    OH

• 3.  RE: Opening Night Traditions?

Posted 02-09-2016 10:21

I pray with the cast.

The boys started this slightly cultic thing called 'Ritual'. They circle up, and chant 'Ritual! Ritual! Ritual!' for a little while, and then club in their hands together in a bondy-type of way. I have no idea how this started. Whoops. The girls like to watch, and they enjoy watching the boys be so manly and not a little weird. I think they're more amused than anything else, but it is a definite tradition.

Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor/Assistant Department Head of English
    Ruskin FL

• 4.  RE: Opening Night Traditions?

Posted 02-10-2016 08:26

One that I've done with every show I've directed is an energy circle. Right hand crossed over left hand and hold hands with the people on either side of you in the circle. Director speaks of working as an ensemble, no leads, no small parts, but one group. Circle closes eyes and director gives energy to person on left by squeezing hand & its passed around from person to person in silence. When it has completed the circle, director says break a leg & everyone turns out of circle by turning out & uncrossing arms, ready for curtain.

Another one that was in the school before I got here: In a circle, holding hands students do "whether the weather" - first seniors, then add juniors, then add sophomores, then add freshman. Each round gets louder & more energetic. Final round is super loud, everyone jumping and swinging hands on beat:

Whether the weather is cold

Or whether the weather is hot

We'll be together whatever the weather

Whether we like it or not! 

Jeana Whitaker
    Theatre Director
    Mesa AZ

• 5.  RE: Opening Night Traditions?

Posted 02-11-2016 13:14

Ours is singing "We Are The Champions" before each performance. This tradition was started at the school by my drama teacher 25 years ago and it survived when I took over the department 7 years ago. It gets the kids focussed and creates great memories.

Zachary Schneider
    Casper WY

• 6.  RE:Opening Night Traditions?

Posted 02-11-2016 18:26
    In high school, we sung the Oscar Meyer Weiner Song.

We repeat a saying of a phrase abou magic in the theatre

Jonathan Pitzer
    Theatre Teacher
    McKinney Boyd High School
    McKinney TX

• 7.  RE: Opening Night Traditions?

Posted 02-09-2016 13:44

My kiddos love the "energy circle" before each performance. It has been our tradition at HMS Theatre!

• 8.  RE: Opening Night Traditions?

Posted 02-09-2016 14:39

Hi, and congrats on your first opening at this school!

Each of our performance nights starts with "circle time", has a particular speech, and they  end with a chant.

Opening Night:  I recall my professor's words of wisdom about the process of creating theatre being as ugly as a big A** bird trying to take flight, but once the huge animal is in the air, it looks like it's always meant to be there...just like the kids in the show :)  then, we all put our hands in the middle and yell "Big A** Bird"!

Night 2:  I go into the idea of the illusion of the first time and how important it is for the kids to keep their reactions true and fresh.  Then, we yell the title to a famous Madonna song ;)

Night 3:  Tell the story!  I remind the kids that the show is about storytelling and then, usually by this point in the run, there is something askew and wonky that we address and make everyone aware of.  The kids get to choose the yell at the end (Inside cast/crew jokes are great!)

Closing Night:  I stress the special nature of this being your last time saying these lines, being in this space with these people, singing these songs, dancing these steps, etc.  This is senior night, so the AD and I go around the circle and single out the senior cast and crew members and highlight what makes them special.  Everyone cries (me included), and then the kids decide on what to yell before they close out the show :)

I hope this helps.  And, I'm aware some of the lingo during our circle time is a bit PG-13, but the kids come to look forward to the "bird speech" and know that closing night they tell each other to bring tissues to circle time.  It took about 4 years for the tradition to stick, but it came from things we did in my own high school program, and it meant so much to me, so I wanted to create something for them.  

Lisa Dyer
    Henrico VA

• 9.  RE: Opening Night Traditions?

Posted 02-10-2016 08:02

We do 4 performances of our musicals. So as we finish our vocal warm ups, we get into our Circle and each class is given the focus each night (oh, and it is essential that you include the tech crew and musicians in this process).

So on Opening night, the Juniors are allowed to make quick, POSITIVE comments about their experience with rehearsals and prep for the show. These comments must be short and to the point since our casts are so huge. The next night is the Freshmen, then the Sophomores and finally, Seniors speak on our closing performance.  We start with the Juniors because they have enough experience to model the process.

Following this, we "Bust the Show."  This is a fun, raucous chant that starts off with the kids hunkering down as low as possible (given the space in our green room, costume clearance, etc.) and begin whispering the chant: "Bust the show. Bust the show, baby, bust the show."  It builds in energy and volume until they are all shouting the chant and hopping like loonies (similar to a mosh pit, but much less violent).  The lead singers always take care not to injure their voices, so they focus mostly on the physical movement.  It's become a joyous way to work out the jitters, focus energy and bring the entire cast - AND CREW - together.

Break a leg!

Josh Ruben
    Fine Arts Head, Northwest Whitfield
    Chattanooga TN

• 10.  RE: Opening Night Traditions?

Posted 02-10-2016 06:25

We eat!  For dress rehearsal, opening night and all run nights, we sit down as a cast and crew and eat dinner together--like a family.  It is a time to relax, to discuss the day & non-show things, to prepare and to focus.  It is the best "accidental" tradition ever.  Plus, it guarantees everyone is nourished (how this started...) and ready to perform!

Although this is an "closing night" tradition, after strike my seniors (only) and I stay in the auditorium when everything is clean, clear and put away, and I have them sit on stage while I take down all the lights.  I share with them that my personal favorite thing about a production is that very moment--and I quote myself,  "When the lights go out, and the stage is empty."  The feeling of accomplishment for something extraordinary, and the hope and promise for something new and better.  We talk about it in the terms of theatre and life.  They share memories and goals.  I share too.  We laugh; we cry--etc.  It is powerful and lovely.  In the end, they all hug, and we leave for the cast party.  

In the many years I have done this, NO ONE ever tells the underclassmen what we have discussed, so it is now some sort of mystery reward that you have "earned" by your senior year.  Two years ago, I was honored at our scholars banquet (our top academic students invite a mentor and write lovely framed letters...).  Both students referenced this tradition in their letters along with the impact of the theatre in their lives.  

So, to make my long story short...I think the traditions must come from a genuine place that is you/yours and your students.  Put value in the traditions you choose--don't have them because there must be "traditions."  It will start for you naturally--I promise.

Rain

Raenell Smith
    Speech, Theatre, English Teacher
    Clark Pleasant Community School Corporation
    Whiteland IN

• 11.  RE: Opening Night Traditions?

Posted 02-11-2016 11:13
    This question brought some amazing responses!

At opening night of my first year here (2003), a freshman student suggested a ritual she had learned in middle school.  We have been doing it since then.   We take a bottle of water and as it is passed, each person says something that might be standing in the way of their having a good performance (such as, my grandmother is sick and can't be here; I'm so nervous) and takes a swig of water to "wash that away."  Of course, we quickly changed it to a hole in the cap of the bottle and the drink became a squirt, and then it became a splash into the center of the circle, "cleansing" everyone of fear, etc.

During the last few years it became a time of dedication and appreciation as well, so dedications were made to siblings who had graduated, and thanks given to everyone for being so accepting.  It can turn into a gushy love fest by closing night so it now needs to be changed a little, but the original thought was the best one, as it is symbolic and rejuvenating.  We finish with a prayer (Catholic school) and a request for St. Genesius, patron saint of actors, to pray for us, and then do the "Energy" bounce as described in another posting. 

Thanks for asking this question, and thank you to all who shared these wonderful traditions!   We open "Big Fish" in a couple of weeks, and that show is guaranteed to bring more than enough tears by the closing number, so I may have to steal the variation on the circle where each class gets a night to speak, to avoid a gushy, emotional makeup disaster before the show!
    Break a leg, everyone!

Bonnie Wilson
    Scottsdale, AZ 

--

Bonnie Wilson
    Performing Arts Department, Instructor

Notre Dame Preparatory High School
    9701 E. Bell Rd // Scottsdale, AZ 85260
    O: 480.634.8360

www.NDPSaints.org | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Linkedin

• 12.  RE: Opening Night Traditions?

Posted 02-10-2016 06:53

Our whole production staff sings a song that we write wishing them to break legs that goes to the tunes of some of the show songs! They get a kick out of it and loveeeee it. 

Cara Davis
    Teacher
    Delran NJ

• 13.  RE: Opening Night Traditions?

Posted 02-10-2016 12:10
    After a full cast physical and vocal warm-up, we create 2 circles - a senior circle and everyone else (cast, crew, orchestra) surrounding the senior circle. It's a long time to hold hands, so we stand shoulder to shoulder. We actually do this for all 3 performances. I then ask one of my juniors to read an alumni letter (I ask my students who've graduated to write letters to the group). These letters are powerful and more inspirational than I could possibly be. They hear me talk enough throughout the process anyway. The letters include things like, "Appreciate this moment, right now, " "Remember you're here to help each other," "You have the power tonight - enjoy it," "Tonight you will make memories that will last your entire life," etc. I then open the floor to seniors only. They each have one to two minutes to say anything they want. We organize it so about one-third of the seniors speak each night. They don't have to speak. Some prepare and read a letter, some wing it. I ask them to take it seriously and I discourage inside jokes. After the seniors speak, we hold hands (crossing right arm over left), take a breath, and turn in a circle on 1-2-3.

• 14.  RE: Opening Night Traditions?

Posted 02-10-2016 15:42

My high school troupe has a tradition where we share the story of theatre every  night before the show. Everyone holds hands in a circle ( hands right over left)and someone the director has previously picked gets to break the circle and share the story. No one knows who it's going to be and it is a great honor for who ever gets to share the story that night.

The story could be told from memory. Keep it simple.

For example:

A long.long time ago  in ancient Greece they used to have these festivals for Dionysus, the God of wine and fertility. At these festivals people would gather and tell stories in a chorus. One day a man stepped out of the chorus and spoke . This man's name was Thespis , and that's how theatre was born! (Everyone cheers)

After this , the person who shared the story took a quarter and tossed it somewhere behind them. The actors are not allowed to step wherever the quarter lands or it's bad luck. (This adds a twist)

We then, chant the letters N, R, G starting slowly and then picking up the speed until we are saying the word "energy".

The director then says "break a leg" and the circle detaches.

I'm not sure if my explanation makes sense but this was a lot of fun!

Berta Ordonez Cortes
    Drama Teacher
    Black Mountain Elementary School
    Scottsdale AZ

• 15.  RE: Opening Night Traditions?

Posted 02-10-2016 21:02

We gather in a circle, and I ask all the students who are performing with us for the first time to step forward. We all applaud them. I then ask all the students who are performing for the first time anywhere to step forward and we applaud those students. I thank the students for their courage, then tell them that no matter what happens in their lives, they will always be able to say that they are an actor.

Then I have the stage crew sacrifice a freshman. 

Ken Buswell
    Drama Teacher
    Peachtree City, GA
    http://mcintoshtheater.org/

• 16.  RE: Opening Night Traditions?

Posted 02-10-2016 23:05

I have a list of "Final Words" for the actors of inspiration quotes.  Some of which were the same quotes I heard routinely as a student from my mentor.  By the end of our fourth production for her, we knew the quotes she would have for each performance night, but they never failed to inspire.

Hoping that one day I will be one tenth of the teacher and artist she is, I have adopted this tradition.  In addition to a nightly reminder of Jack London's Creedo, which is underscored by the idea that their characters want to live in the same way, every opening night has this quote:

"To enter a theatre for a performance is to be inducted into a magical space, to be ushered into the sacred arena of the imagination."  - Simon Callow

The last words spoken to the actors are then, "As we enter the stage, that together we become the high priest or priestess of that sacred space.  Places."

I'm still working on a good tradition especially for my Techies.  And although I want to inspire everyone on opening night, each group deserves their own moment as well.

Jym Kinney
    Troupe Director
    Clover Park High School
    Lakewood, Washington

• 17.  RE: Opening Night Traditions?

Posted 02-13-2016 12:56

At our school on Opening Night, we have what has come to be called The Potluck. Every student involved in the show brings some kind of "dish to pass" and the cast and crew stay after school to have a meal together before donning their make-up and costumes for Opening Night. It's Mississippi; food is a bonding experience.

Chelsea Petty
    Columbus MS

• 18.  RE: Opening Night Traditions?

Posted 02-13-2016 14:58

We do a circle right before the show starts, and I usually say a little something thanking them for the journey and celebrating them. Then (I actually got the idea from someone on here!) I pass out little peppermints. As they go around the circle, everyone takes one and says something - sometimes we do 'favorite line' or 'something they want to do well' - depends on what we need. Usually its pretty quick! Then we all eat the peppermints together. Peppermints help with memory and also make your breath smell nice!

Once I leave, all the kids do "break a leg". They cross pinkies and air kiss on each side of their cheeks, and say "break a leg" together. It was a tradition passed on from before me! Everyone does it to everyone else, then they get into places.

Kandace Arens
    Drama Teacher
    Bellingham WA

• 19.  RE:Opening Night Traditions?

Posted 02-14-2016 15:12
    Love this post and reading all of the many ways everyone creates an unique, safe, welcoming home to our students!

I'm not sure how I developed into having this tradition, maybe from my student teaching experience?, but after the cast and crew circles for warm ups, I step into the center of the circle, have everyone close their eyes, give them a short pep talk, have a different senior or junior lead energy circle where I count and try to get it around the circle in less time by concentrating together, then I finish the pep talk with a bit about them as storytellers, connect it with becoming their characters on stage, and projecting that to include the audience in the world of the play. It leads into me saying something about them need info focus on, "line, character, volume" which they join me in saying until they chant it together, increasing in volume each time. I say, "one more time" and after that, remind them to wait until the first line spoken on stage is uttered before they can talk. Then I whisper "Break a leg." It's a nice little private backstage moment and one of the few times I lead after the show opens. Otherwise the students do everything, just like with you all.

Jo Strom Lane
    Theatre Teacher and Director
    Portland Public Schools
    Portland OR

• 20.  RE: Opening Night Traditions?

Posted 02-22-2016 17:35

Love the practices listed here.

We do our big circle and on the different nights and I talk about the type of crowd to expect (Friday - lively and will laugh at any and everything - things the cast never found funny; Saturday - still lively but not as intense as Friday; Sunday - quiet, not responsive), any little last minute critiques, and the kids make any announcements. On the last show, I give thanks to the seniors and let them address the group.

Then, the kids go the back hallway and do their "bibble-bees" to warm up, which is a series of tongue twisters the kids have acquired over the years. This was a practice before I took over. The final "bibble-bee" is "BOFT," "Big, Old Floppy T*****S." This gets them totally loosened up and laughing. My assistants and I do not participate in this, it's the kids time together. 

Funny note in this, last year we used elementary school kids in The Music Man. I told the high school kids they had to keep their "bibble-bees" PG, so no "BOFT." On the Sunday afternoon show after the little ones came out after "bibble-bees," one of the first graders started to chant, "Big, old ..." and my heart PLUNGED to my stomach. I was about to yell out ... and then I heard the rest, "Big, old, fluffy kitties." I nearly peed myself laughing so hard. Well played, high school students, well played!

[Jared] [Grigsby]
    [English and Journalism Teacher / Drama Director]
    [Hebron High School]
    [Hebron,] [Indiana]