Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Awarding TIPS during Corona

Posted 03-25-2020 17:10
    The inevitable just happened: our play got cancelled. I have a couple of students on the cusp of being full blown members. Are you guys still awarding points for plays that were cancelled?

------------------------------
    Andrew Harris
    Union City CA

• 2.  RE: Awarding TIPS during Corona

Posted 03-25-2020 17:32
    What is everyone doing? Our school play is cancelled.Our induction was scheduled for April 27th. What can I do for our seniors? I can't even order their graduation cords. Any creative ideas.We are out until at least April 24th.

Richard Jones
    Fallston MD

• 3.  RE: Awarding TIPS during Corona

Posted 03-26-2020 07:34
    We lucked out and finished our production the week before everything closed, but if I were in your shoes, I would at least give credit for hours of rehearsals up to this point, and if they're still short (or maybe even if they're not) then try to find ways to give points for virtual participation--maybe for attending and critiquing Camp Broadway or Broadway Dreams sessions or for watching and critiquing a streamed play/musical. I'm running a play reading club through Google Meet (Zoom would work too!) and anyone who reads and attends/participates in the session can collect points. Another possibility is asking your officers. See if they can come up with ideas for earning points in this unique circumstance. The kids will have a better handle of what they can and can't do from where they are.

Maralie Medlin
    Director of Fine Arts
    Gaston Christian School
    Gastonia, NC

• 4.  RE: Awarding TIPS during Corona

Posted 03-26-2020 11:04
      |   view attached
    Hello everyone!

Thank you Andrew and Richard for raising the question about points during this time and thank you Maralie for sharing your ideas with them. Please keep these ideas coming! We just shared another resource from @Darla Jones in Texas via email to all of you this morning (attached here as a PDF) that has great ideas for awarding points. We'll continually be posting and updating these on Theatre Educator PRO (TE PRO), so be sure to check there often.

These are unprecedented times and we feel for all of the students and teachers who will now be missing out on important achievements and milestones as a result. We want to give every opportunity to students during this time of event and performance cancellations. Don't let those losses prevent you from honoring deserving students -- we encourage you to be flexible in awarding Thespian points for cancelled activities. Your students (especially seniors) may appreciate the recognition now more than ever.

It is up to the discretion of you the teacher to make decisions for the betterment of the students right now, so please do what you feel is necessary to honor them in these times. Our staff is working remotely to continue to process all charters and inductions that come our way. We're working with teachers to ensure that any induction materials are either held or shipped to alternative addresses if your school is closed.

Feel free to email (members@schooltheatre.org) or call us at 513.421.3900 should you have any additional questions.

The show must AND WILL go on!

Hans Weichhart
    Chief Relationship Officer
    Cincinnati OH

• 5.  RE: Awarding TIPS during Corona

Posted 03-26-2020 16:10
    You can absolutely give them points for all the rehearsal time.
    --

Amy Sando,
    Douglas High School Drama
    782-5136

"You've got to paint the picture and then walk into it. And if you ever find you can't paint the picture, just don't walk."

• 6.  RE: Awarding TIPS during Corona

Posted 03-26-2020 16:23
    Oh, yes. Definitely intend to do that, but I know the points will be less due to us not performing.

Andrew Harris
    Union City CA