Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Best Practices for Theatre Educators, Question number 4

Posted 08-08-2014 13:18

We all know if the Theatre educator is centered, rested, and able to manage stress, that the students benefit. Our question which stimulated conversation at the Best Practices Workshop in Lincoln, 2014 was what do you as a Theatre educator do to maintain balance? We know that our cars are often the first in the parking lot and the last to leave.

We decided our answers must include legal type activities. 
    Do you take time off to go to conferences? Even letting someone else take over rehearsals? Do you take a "mental health" day? Do you stop holding Saturday "Work days" for theatre students?

What have you found works for you? 
    -------------------------------------------
    Gai Jones
    Ojai CA

• 2.  RE: Best Practices for Theatre Educators, Question number 4

Posted 08-08-2014 15:48
    I have stopped working here on the weekends at all. The only time I am here is show days. I also go to the national conference annually (although I did miss that this year because I was in London). I try to take a single mental health day each semester and use the time to relax and play. I'm not allowed to do anything that "needs" to be done. 

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 3.  RE: Best Practices for Theatre Educators, Question number 4

Posted 08-08-2014 21:15
    When I first started in my current position 15 years ago, I produced 5 shows a year. A musical, a drama, a comedy, student directed one acts, a competition piece and 3 variety type fundraiser nights. It's a smaller program and I was a one woman show - director, tech director, musical director, choreographer, costumer, etc... I thought doing a wide variety and several shows a year made my program balanced. What I came to realize after a few years was that no one but me was killing themselves to make this happen and no one else really embraced the whole program - including the kids. By the end of the third full length show each year they were snarly to each other and by the first of April things went downhill from there fast! It truly was MY program not there's and I was killing myself to make it happen. After several years of evolution, (including some budget cuts) I now do 2 shows a year - period. Although, I am open to some smaller performance type events like the variety show fundraiser but my officers direct those. I work no weekends although I am still fighting with my Tech Director who occasionally transforms into the "set fairy" and sneaks into the theatre over the weekend to finish things right before show week. I have a rule that we do no shows after spring break. I now have a production team of 3 other adults, who are fabulous and while I don't do as many performances as before the quality of the experience is much higher. I think it's incredibly important as an educator and an artist to protect your personal health and well being. It is all too easy to get sucked into attempting to be superhuman - seriously who can work 80 hour weeks repeatedly and still have clean clothes much less a personal life? ------------------------------------------- Amy Learn Ballwin MO -------------------------------------------

• 4.  RE: Best Practices for Theatre Educators, Question number 4

Posted 08-09-2014 16:16
    I wanted to add two thoughts to my earlier response to this excellent question-

If you plan on having guest speakers in your classroom, invite them to come when you are in the middle of tech week. 

I love what Amy said- when I began at my most recent school five years ago, I killed myself trying all of these shows.    I don't think I was helping anyone.  Our program was going to lose credibility because there was no way or need to do so many things well.  We weren't.

The quality is better if we concentrate on doing less well and the enthusiasm is more consistent.
    I am going to have longer rehearsals on less days so I am home earlier.
    I apologize for posting twice, but I just think this topic is so very important.
      I am going to seriously consider all that I try to tackle this coming year.

----------------------------------
    Jan Jensen
    Tucker GA

• 5.  RE: Best Practices for Theatre Educators, Question number 4

Posted 08-09-2014 11:34
    Great question! I have decided to stop working on weekends except for show days too. I am also cutting back on the number of full productions and doing more cabaret or improv shows. I am a one person operation and I was being burned out by my good intentions to give many students many opportunities . I agree we work best when we are rested and happy to be there- just like out students do! I try to attend a conference or continuing education opportunity just for fun each year. My favorite was the year I treated myself to a week of classes at Second City- (not about teaching or directing ) instead I relished a week of being an actor again. I wish I had the chance to do adv drama classes just for me during the school year. Would the conference planners ever consider adding some " just for enrichment" acting classes for teachers to the agenda? This year is my 29th year of teaching and I still love it as I know you all do but I have to take care of my mental and physical health. A mental health day each semester is in the mix too. Happy Fall and take care of yourself everyone! ------------------------------------------- Jan Jensen Tucker GA -------------------------------------------

• 6.  RE: Best Practices for Theatre Educators, Question number 4

Posted 08-15-2014 21:15
    There are certain nights that I refuse to rehearse past X time so that I can make it to my yoga class(es).  So while we generally rehearse 5 nights a week, some of them are short - only 45 minutes or an hour.  We rehearse Saturdays, but usually only one or two before tech, and never 2 in a row.

I also have planned our season so we close show #1 before Thanksgiving, which means I have that time to relax.  Then show #2 auditions before winter break but we don't start rehearsal until after, so there's more relax time.  Show #2 closes just before spring break and show #3 doesn't go up until after, so I always have spring break for me.

I also try to be on top of my health.  If I feel something coming on, I think long and hard about going to work.  If I stay home for one day, rest and get healthy, that's way better than missing a week because I refused to take care of myself.

Laura Steenson
    Theatre Director
    Reynolds High School
    Troutdale OR

• 7.  RE: Best Practices for Theatre Educators, Question number 4

Posted 08-19-2014 12:05
    I am glad that I found the Best Practices thread! Great discussion - and a great group at the class in Lincoln. 

There is so much good advice in these posts. The best thing for me was getting another person on board in a paid position - the first year I paid her out of my extracurricular salary, and then the district started to pay her after we built a good case with a lot of data. It saved my sanity and dramatically improved the program. 

Suzanne Jones
    Pella IA