Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Actors as Scenery

Posted 03-31-2018 17:17
    We are producing Shrek this spring and I think it might be interesting to create many of the locations using muslin, sticks and actors.  I saw a production of Into the Woods a few years back that made use of the ensemble to create many of the scenic elements and was just interested if anyone had done something similar and perhaps had photos to share.

------------------------------
    Michael Johnson
    Trinity NC

• 2.  RE: Actors as Scenery

Posted 04-11-2018 17:47
    Wow! What a cool idea. If this doesn't work out, you should check out BMD's projections. They are the official projections for the show and you can take a look at the website for any more info you may need!

Caitlyn Lopez
    Fresno CA

• 3.  RE: Actors as Scenery

Posted 04-12-2018 08:45
    We did all scenic elements with actors during Arabian Nights (trees, boats, snakes, Cave of Wonders, oil jars). They all had scarves or pashminas that they used as sails, bird wings, cave walls, etc. It was great! Totally believable for the audience and a nice artistic challenge for the actors.

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator
    Fishersville VA

• 4.  RE: Actors as Scenery

Posted 04-13-2018 15:38

When we did Wizard of Oz, we had 2 actors dressed in costumes painted to look like yellow paving stones, and they moved/danced in front of the Dorothy and friends as the yellow brick road.  We were able to use audience aisles, and any part of the theatre for staging that way.  Of course, we had actors in tree costumes for the forest scene, and chorus members in costume as poppies.  That worked out great for us in that production.

Bob Fowler

Co-Developer:  Interactive Educational Video, LLC 

• 5.  RE: Actors as Scenery

Posted 05-16-2018 12:13
    Michael asked me for pictures, but unfortunately I hardly have any good ones. The rehearsal ones are really rough (old phone) but you can sort of see actors as trees, a giant bird, and a ship. It looked better in the final version, I promise.

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator
    Fishersville VA

• 6.  RE: Actors as Scenery

Posted 04-12-2018 09:57
    We did a bit of that with our own production of "Shrek." Specifically in Travel Song, when we had actors holding trees, road signs, and other road-trip paraphernalia, sidling from one side of the stage to the other as though on a conveyor belt. It carried very well. I can definitely see expanding the concept to encompass the whole show. Have fun!

Josh Kauffman
    Teacher
    Winfield AL

• 7.  RE: Actors as Scenery

Posted 04-13-2018 16:47
    I did something like this when I did the straight version of Beauty and the Beast years ago. The ensemble was used to create living furniture. It was really effective. Go for it!

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 8.  RE: Actors as Scenery

Posted 05-17-2018 14:24
    I just did this with Addams Family. We had Living Props. In some scenes they were graveyard statues, others they were living portraits and knight statues. One was the monster under the bed. One was Cleopatra Morticia’s plant. They also all played trees. If you email me, I can send you pics of their costumes. Clittle@trschools.com

---------------------------------
    Carolyn Little
    High School English Teacher
    Toms River Board of Education
    Beachwood NJ
    ---------------------------------

• 9.  RE: Actors as Scenery

Posted 05-18-2018 10:34
      |   view attached

Attached is a picture of actors becoming the jail scene.  All the buildings and doors were made up of actors dressed in black and with rope.  It was beautiful.  One of my girls played a door (she was not too happy at first), but when every critic  judge pointed it out as an incredible moment in the show that changed her mind and the rest of the cast to how valuable every aspect of a show can be.

Break a leg and may all your theatre seats be filled,

Kelly M. Thomas

Department of Theatre

Dr. Ralph H. Poteet High School

3300 Poteet Drive

Mesquite, Texas 75150

972-882-5300

Kthomas@mesquiteisd.org