Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Conversations surrounding racist portrayals in Thoroughly Modern Millie

Posted 03-17-2016 18:25

Hello, I am strongly considering performin Thoroughly Modern Millie next year as the music is phenomenal and the roles suit my students well. However, I cannot seem to find an appropriate way to have conversations with the students and audience about the insensitive portrayals of Bun Foo and Ching Ho. I have seen Scanlon's note about changing Mrs. Meers from a Chinese stereotype to another character choice; even with changing her portrayal, the men's roles are still written insensitively.  

I am not wanting to debate the portrayal of these characters in this forum, but I'm seeking advice on bridging critical conversations with both the student ensemble, and the audience.  The play has so many wonderful qualities; how have you successfully performed it while also creating opportunities for your communities to think?

Thank you,

Abra 

------------------------------
    Abra Chusid
    Theatre Director
    Buffalo Grove IL

• 2.  RE: Conversations surrounding racist portrayals in Thoroughly Modern Millie

Posted 03-18-2016 01:53

If you've seen Scanlan's notes re: Mrs. Meers, did you not see his advice for the Chinese men? I'd start there.

Excerpt:

"As for Bun Foo and Ching Ho, they are not stereotypes, they are people. Characters. That is why they speak and sing in Cantonese and Mandarin, respectively. I think the script states clearly -- and if it doesn't, I'm stating it clearly here -- that in no way are their performances to be exaggerated, lampooned, made fun of, nada. The actors should approach their roles no differently than the actress playing Millie approaches hers: with truth, integrity, imagination and intentionality."

Author's production note on MTI website (pdf)

Michael McDonough
    New York NY

• 3.  RE: Conversations surrounding racist portrayals in Thoroughly Modern Millie

Posted 03-18-2016 06:29

I agree with the previous comment. I just closed this show at my school two weeks ago. We never had to have the discussion bc Bun Foo, Ching Ho and Meers are all characters. My guys found some humor in the roles, but those were through tasteful choices. And Meers is justified, I think, bc she is a washed up actor. But still, the roles are written well. 

Benjamin Sims
    Indian Trail NC

• 4.  RE: Conversations surrounding racist portrayals in Thoroughly Modern Millie

Posted 03-18-2016 12:44

Agreed.  We open MILLIE in three weeks.  I haven't given a second thought to explaining those characters because my students knew from the beginning that they were to be portrayed honestly.  Prior to auditions, I read what the authors said about them, and we discussed why it was important that the students I cast as Bun Foo and Ching Ho  use the pronunciation CD provided with our rented materials to learn their lines.  We wanted their characters to be as true to life as possible...not just a comical portrayal.  If your actors and cast treat the characters as honest, real people, I don't see that it should be a problem.  I may be naïve, but I'm certainly not expecting any issues.

Susan Thompson
    Drama Teacher
    Decatur AL

• 5.  Racism concerns in Millie

Posted 03-18-2016 18:42

We did Millie this fall.  When we picked it I was concerned about the portrayals of Asians and I read Scanlons suggestions and agreed.  I was fortuneate enough to have Asian kids audition and they got the roles and were amazing.  I always asked them if they were okay with the direction and even in costuming that they were comfortable.  Out Meers played it over the top as well.  Needless to say we got a very big complaint from the family of our Bun Foo and even threatened to have the show closed. We showed them what our guideline was (Scanlons report) but they would have not hearing it or buying it.  

My biggest concern was the human trafficking element and we had a speaker come and talk to the cast about it.  I had no idea that we would have such a strong response to the Asian portrayals.  I should have had a discussion about it with the entire cast during rehearsals and should have put something in the program about Asian immigrants in the 20's and maybe offered a disclaimer.  We have a large Asian population at our school.  Anyway, I wouldn't take any chances.  Cover your bases.  It's a lovely show!  Perfect for high schools.  But be careful.

Marcie Berglund
    Play Coach (Musical and One Act)
    Cottage Grove MN

• 6.  RE: Conversations surrounding racist portrayals in Thoroughly Modern Millie

Posted 03-23-2016 09:33

The concerns cited here are the reason I have not done "Millie", and I won't do "Millie."It would need a major rewrite to acceptable in a high school setting, IMO, and of course we can't do that--it's a contract violation. And one of the lessons I'm trying to teach my students is that it's only right to honor your contract, and honor the artist(s). If you can't put up a show without significant changes, choose another show.

And I do get the "teachable moment" aspect--I just feel (strongly) that this show doesn't provide that. It's too offensive, IMO.
    Michael Corliss
    Livonia MI

• 7.  RE: Conversations surrounding racist portrayals in Thoroughly Modern Millie

Posted 03-23-2016 15:40

I saw a one act version of Millie two years ago and I was appalled by what I considered to be racist portrayals. Plus, the human trafficing part bothered me too. I loved the music, though. I don't think I would ever do it, but it is good to know the playwright has addressed the issue.

Ken Buswell
    Drama Teacher
    Peachtree City, GA
    http://mcintoshtheater.org/