Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Show Selection

Posted 07-20-2016 13:00

Has anyone done one acts from three different shows as a major production? How did you choose shows? How are royalties handled?  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

------------------------------
    Michael Stofko
    Teacher
    Wilkes Barre PA

• 2.  RE: Show Selection

Posted 07-21-2016 01:50

I did this once with three one acts, once with two.  Each time I had a theme . . . One was Stage Kissed . . .the shows each had a kiss . . . one was the kiss of death.  The two show night was a neighborhood comedy theme.

The royalties were paid for each play performed for all shows.

Ronda Grundy
    Drama Director
    Monroe GA

• 3.  RE: Show Selection

Posted 07-21-2016 08:38

Sort of. I do two one acts as one production. Usually I pick something a little "out there" to go first. It usually has a message or makes you think. Act 2 is usually a comedy or something lighter. And act 3 is a performance by our improv troupe. I simply pick things that stand out to me for some reason.

Benjamin Sims
    Indian Trail NC

• 4.  RE: Show Selection

Posted 07-21-2016 09:23
    I once did "Creepy Stories" based on short stories taught in the English curriculum. One act royalties are generally less, and we paid for the ones we used, just as in a regular full length.

• 5.  RE: Show Selection

Posted 07-21-2016 11:18

I have done an evening of student directed one acts. Students have to apply to be chosen, including the play they want to direct & a complete analysis of their play. The only "theme" that tied them together was that they were student directed. 

Jeana Whitaker
    Theatre Director
    Mesa AZ

• 6.  RE: Show Selection

Posted 07-21-2016 13:51

We did "All In The Timing" and had a ball. It itself is fourteen short plays. Very fun. Used a unit set.

Crit Fisher
    Lighting/Sound Designer
    New Albany High School
    Jeffersonville IN

• 7.  RE: Show Selection

Posted 07-22-2016 22:08

I have done student directed one acts and handled the royalties through the various agencies. They were anywhere from $25 to $75 per selection.  

I also have done evenings called, "The Scenic Route"  which are scenes from various plays joined by a theme--Tales of Terror, Power of Love etc...  The royalties were handled as scene performances with the various agencies.  It can get expensive but it is important to pay the royalties --writers need to make a living too. 

Kathy Cannnarozzi Harris
    Theater Director - Mission Viejo HS
    VAPA Coordinator K-12
    Saddleback Valley USD
    Mission Viejo, CA

• 8.  RE: Show Selection

Posted 07-24-2016 15:44

Firstly, always pay your royalties. 

Second, there's options. The last two years we did a program Two Nights, Four One Acts. We had our competition one act go both nights, and then my different classes performed their various one act shows (four in one night; in 2015 this was Woman at a Threshold Beckoning, followed by Check, Please!, followed by A Christmas Carol, followed by Postcards from Shakespeare). 

This was utter chaos and not a little stressful having over 150 students to supervise, worry who was coming in/late, etc, and just soul destroying. 

This year I'm still going to have our one act festival, but spread it over three weeks, and have two plays go each night. One will be the competition one act, followed by whichever class one act is up for that week. 

This means we can let the cast go at a reasonable time, as well as having a more manageable group (two casts rather than 4!). By extending it over a few weeks, I'm hoping that the word of mouth will carry through and sell extra tickets. 

Other suggestions on here are great! Sometimes I had a theme, sometimes the theme was 'there's students performing in it.' Selection was often based on what I felt was appropriate or just challenging enough to move the students from one level to the next, and selection was also based on aiming for a variety of genres/styles/stories, but mainly making sure to balance drama with comedy. This year, our competition piece is an adaptation of Macbeth, so the other one acts are most likely going to be comedies...

Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor/Assistant Department Head of English
    Ruskin FL