Open Forum

View Only

Gender in Scene Study

• 1.  Gender in Scene Study

Posted 12-08-2017 07:10
    How do you deal with gender flexibility in scene study?  My general policy in my intro classes (where this seems to come up the most) is that students cannot choose a scene and flip gender with the intent of making fun of the gender they are portraying.  Still, I had several boys do just this when choosing their exam piece.  I made them choose different pieces when their defense was, "but we can make it really funny."  I'm curious--how do other people handle this in class?

------------------------------
    Kristen Statt
    Thunderhawk Theater Director
    Lakota East High School
    Liberty Twp, OH
    Kristen.statt@lakotaonline.com

• 2.  RE: Gender in Scene Study

Posted 12-08-2017 10:36
    I don't let my students select their own pieces until second semester of senior year. Until then I select scenes and partners, sometimes choosing something that I think suits them and that they'll like, sometimes choosing a character that I think stretches them. I handle gender issues on a case-by-case basis. I've had gay students play both gay and straight roles, when I have a gender fluid student, I talk to them about how they prefer to be cast. Even then, I tend to have them try both. If students really wanted to gender flip or cross-gender cast something, they would have to talk to me about it and take it seriously.

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator
    Fishersville VA

• 3.  RE: Gender in Scene Study

Posted 12-08-2017 12:24
    My kids aren't allowed to gender swap until they reach the Theatre III class (where it's actually an assignment). One of the reasons I give them is that at the earlier levels of technique they are already working on creating motivated characters with goals and obstacles. They don't need to add another more difficult layer to their rehearsals at this point. Having a reason that they can understand and buy-into has made it a lot easier.

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 4.  RE: Gender in Scene Study

Posted 12-08-2017 12:45
    I absolutely agree with the rule that you've set down. Most of the time students THINK they can "make it really funny," but all they're really doing is leaning heavily on stereotypes without actually tapping into the honesty that creates authentic humor. (And you only mention boys who are interested in gender-swapping for comedy's sake. This might be a good opportunity to point out the problems with making fun of a historically-oppressed group for the sake of "humor." Ask them to consider why their female counterparts aren't so quick to jump at that.)

I am, however, 100% in support of gender-swapping -- both during scene study and actual productions. Mostly because women tend to be underrepresented in the written word. (There's a wonderful article, "The Problem with Female Protagonists," here.)

Victoria Chatfield
    Executive Director
    National Theatre for Student Artists
    www.nationalstudenttheatre.org
    vchatfield@nationalstudenttheatre.org

• 5.  RE: Gender in Scene Study

Posted 12-09-2017 08:34
    I take requests on a case by case basis. I do allow men, for instance, to play females in Greek or Shakespearean pieces because that's the way it was done historically, but not always for humor. Tragedy is easy,I tell them in other situations. Comedy is hard. Just because it's funny to the actor doesn't make it funny to the audience. I always ask them how the choice to gender swap would serve the themes of the show. If they can make a good case, I would allow it in class.

Sent from my iPad

• 6.  RE: Gender in Scene Study

Posted 12-09-2017 10:34
    Say, "No." 

Give them the appropriate grade for failure to follow directions.

That's as long as my guidelines were clearly stated.

--
    Mark A. Zimmerman
    Theatre Director,

Akron School for the Arts
    Firestone High School
    470 Castle Blvd
    Akron, Ohio 44313

330-761-3275

FirestoneTheatre.com

• 7.  RE: Gender in Scene Study

Posted 12-09-2017 13:52
    My policy is that you must choose a character that is your gender/gender orientation. To change the person portraying the character can be counter to the playwright's intent and wishes. We all know that Edward Albee will not let Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolf with a male cast. If I'm directing a play for public performance I seek permission from the playwright if I change the gender of a character. If I'm directing Shakespeare I try to not do "drag" roles. If we are doing Macbeth, the soldiers are female soldiers, not females portraying men.

Sometimes I will let males do short scenes as female characters. Invariably it will be the typical "boy" version of girls mincing around, hips swaying. I then turn to the female students and ask them, "Is that how you move, behave?" or "And that's how they think you behave!" Usually, it's a very teachable moment for the males, a small epiphany, if you will.

As for transgender students, they are not "gender fluid". They are male or female gender identified. I allow them to choose what makes them the most comfortable. Sometimes they choose a "neutral" gender scene or monologue. With all due respect, to refer to them as "gender fluid" is not giving them the respect they deserve since they are the ones who know their gender. Transgender students have a difficult time and theatre is a place where they can be accepted as they are.

John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 8.  RE: Gender in Scene Study

Posted 12-09-2017 21:06
    Hi John,

Gender fluid is a perfectly acceptable and respectful term for those students that identify that way (I also have students that refer to themselves as non-binary, agender, genderqueer, bi-gender, gender non-conforming or simply, queer.)  Gender fluid and transgender are separate ways to identify.  I think the person posting above was talking about students that identify as "either" "all" or "none" of the gendernormative/cisgender identities - not people that identify as transgender. A transgender person is easy to cast - you cast them as their gender.

It's easiest to just have a conversation with the person, explain that most of our traditional materials identify characters as "male" or "female" and ask them where they feel most comfortable for a particular project.  Being fluid may mean that in a different assignment or production they may feel differently. 

Just as a sidenote, all my forms have listed - Name:  Age:  Gender:  Prounouns: 
    I also start off every new class/project with an introduction that includes name and pronouns (for anyone new to this please avoid saying "preferred" pronouns - it implies that "it's what the person prefers, but go ahead and misgender them if you want to.")

We are all so lucky to be teaching at a time when so many of our students feel free to be themselves.  And for those that are still struggling, we can make our classrooms a safe place for them too.   :)

Shileah Corey
    Mountlake Terrace WA

• 9.  RE: Gender in Scene Study

Posted 12-11-2017 10:50
    Hello,
    I may be way off in left field for this one, but I tell my students that for classroom projects, the gender doesn't matter.  My classes are so skewed one way or another that trying to get students to work with other people as well as keep gender roles in tact is just not feasible for my classes.  I do require that students pay attention to their physical characterization and sit, stand, and move like their characters would (and gender is one thing that influences that- as well as time period and class).  I do not allow students to manipulate their voices in unnatural ways to "be" another gender.  Their inflection and scoring should skew feminine or masculine as needed.  
    Ultimately, it's a great learning experience for all students to have the opportunity to get into the heads of character from another gender.  It enhances empathy and encourages risk-taking.  I don't allow things to be done just to be silly, but it's great to see girls play Yank in The Hairy Ape or Boys play Nora in A Doll's House. Students choose their groups and their roles, so I really don't care who plays what as long as the performance is thoughtful, accurate to the best of their ability, and done as honestly as they can.  
    Having gender not matter also helps the students who are transgender or still figuring it out not feel pressured to "be" something they aren't.  

So, go for it! Let the kids discover what it's like to explore character of a different gender.  It's for a class assignment.  We don't judge each other for the character they choose, we critique each other for work well done!  What have we got to lose?

Lisa Dyer
    Henrico VA

• 10.  RE: Gender in Scene Study

Posted 12-10-2017 01:58
    I do allow students to play parts that do not match their gender, though I tell them they need to play it the way  it's written...they are specifically told that the only pieces they can play for laughs are comedies.

This year I have several students who are identifying as transgender. In order to keep the drama classroom a welcoming safe place, I find it's best to keep gender fluid and self-identifying.

Billy Houck
    Fremont High School
    Sunnyvale CA

• 11.  RE: Gender in Scene Study

Posted 12-12-2017 07:35
    Yes, to clarify, the student in question identified as gender fluid, not transgender. I talked to them before casting scenes to see which gender they preferred. Sometimes they played male characters, sometimes female.

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator
    Fishersville VA

• 12.  RE: Gender in Scene Study

Posted 12-12-2017 12:23
    I often allow gender flexibility in class and mainstage productions, but never with the intent (or unintended side-effect) of the gender swap itself being cause for humor. Frequently, I allow girls to play male characters, but I have a higher sensibility to the appropriateness of boys playing female characters. Context is everything here - and the focus should never be on who is playing the character, rather the reality of the character him/herself.

Keith Burns
    Theatre Arts Director
    Paradise Valley AZ