Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  MS Public Speaking Curriculum?

Posted 08-09-2018 15:56
    Good Afternoon,

I will be teaching a 7/8th combined Public Speaking class this year.  I am really excited to teach this course, as it has been 10 years since I have taught it, so I was wondering if any of you have projects that current MS speech students really enjoy?

If you'd be willing to share a project/rubric with me, that would be fabulous.

Best,
    Ginny

------------------------------
    Ginny Schreiber
    Forest Ridge School
    Bellevue, WA

• 2.  RE: MS Public Speaking Curriculum?

Posted 08-12-2018 06:28
    Hello, 

I believe there is a middle and high school TEDX competition and or a specific Speech event that the kids can get up and "speak" I think that if you google this you may be able to find better help than what I'm providing you right now. LOL. 

TM

Timothy Mathews
    Theater Teather
    Port Richey FL

• 3.  RE: MS Public Speaking Curriculum?

Posted 08-12-2018 09:31
    I use a series of units from various sources that allow the students to present different types of speeches (informative, demonstration, special occasion)  but the Poetry Outloud website has some plans and a tonal map that I use for almost every speech: https://www.poetryoutloud.org/uploads/documents/Tone-Map-Terms.pdf
    Poetryoutloud remove preview
    View this on Poetryoutloud >

BA Candelora

• 4.  RE: MS Public Speaking Curriculum?

Posted 08-13-2018 05:19
    Hi there- it's been a while since I taught MS speech but my favorite first speech was the Interview Speech. I'd give them a list of possible questions as a guide and they would interview a classmate who would also interview them. Then they would give a speech that introduced the class to this person. The format was up to them- so we would get the dating game where the speech was their "profile" and usually had a live visual aide (their partner), or a game show about their life. A job description was fun- listing and the qualities of this person. A guess who/ who dunnit game. It was a great intro speech because the focus wasn't on them but their partner and it allowed them to get in front of the class with low stakes. I emphasized the creative approach and at the end the class would vote on the most creative speech- this way it wasn't just 35 lists of the answers to the questions.

Also I'd video tape each speech and at the end each student would watch their speeches and critique their growth. Persuasive speech and demonstration speeches were their favorites. 

Good luck!

Shawn Hann
    Denver CO