Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Black male as Jonathon Brewster

Posted 02-08-2015 11:41
    I've cast a black male as Jonathon Brewster in Arsenic and Old Lace. He had a great audition and is really the only one who can pull off the character. I'm been thinking on how to tie in the Boris Karloff look. Any thoughts or ideas? ------------------------------ Trevor Yarbrough Teacher Dyer County High School Newbern TN ------------------------------

• 2.  RE: Black male as Jonathon Brewster

Posted 02-09-2015 08:04
    No sweat. I'd play it exactly as written and let the audience laugh because of the complete LACK of resemblance. He can still get angry about it and thus his later actions still make sense. Colorblind casting works. Especially in older shows. I once cast the family in Man Who Came to Dinner with a father who was African-South Asian-Native American, a mother who was Irish American with flaming red hair, a WASP daughter, and an African American son. Oh, and one of the servants was white and one was black. Needless to say, our favorite production picture from the show was the "family portrait." Have fun with it and use it as a teaching tool, as well. ------------------------------ Ben Martin Past Board Of Trustees Missouri Aliiance for Arts Education Lee's Summit MO ------------------------------

• 3.  RE: Black male as Jonathon Brewster

Posted 02-09-2015 10:21
    I do that kind of thing all the time and no one bats an eye.  I'm not going to tell a kid he can't do a part because he doesn't match the rest of the family.  I just say they're just ahead of their time!

------------------------------
    Katherine Miller
    Theater Teacher
    Paul VI Catholic High School
    Herndon VA

• 4.  RE: Black male as Jonathon Brewster

Posted 02-11-2015 07:46
    When i did Arsenic, i had a black girl and a philipino girl play the two aunts against three white boys as the brothers. No problem. ------------------------------ Trenton Kerger Teacher Bellevue Public Schools Bellevue NE ------------------------------

• 5.  RE: Black male as Jonathon Brewster

Posted 02-10-2015 10:54
    Here Here to color blind casting! Unfortunately not all see eye-to-eye with this. Last year a judge at one act had a problem with our mixed race family for The Miracle Worker. One year a teacher told me that she talked her predominantly African American cast out of doing Grease because the audience would expect a blond Sandy, etc.  I wouldn't think twice about casting him as Jonathon. At the high school level we should be creating as much opportunity as possible.

Rosemary Milsap
    Drama Teacher, Dir. of Cedar Theatre
    Athens GA

• 6.  RE: Black male as Jonathon Brewster

Posted 02-11-2015 09:07
    Hmmm, but they bought an Australian Sandy? We just did Grease and had an African-American Rizzo and a Latino Jan. What's the big deal? 

John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 7.  RE: Black male as Jonathon Brewster

Posted 02-12-2015 07:20
    I'm with Ben on this; just ignore it.  I had the same thing happen 15 years ago, and the actor was so charming no one cared.  Plus, I'd wager that most of your audience isn't going to know who Karloff is at this point...

Robert Ellis
    North Richmond VA

• 8.  RE: Black male as Jonathon Brewster

Posted 02-12-2015 07:25
    Unless a show is explicitly about race, (which changes the dynamic) I say color-blind should be the rule, especially in educational theatre.

Ryan Moore
    Theatre Teacher and Forensics Coach
    Ferndale MI

• 9.  RE: Black male as Jonathon Brewster

Posted 02-12-2015 08:50

I agree, if it doesn't deal with race, I don't see a problem. I would love to do The Foreigner but there are no roles for my African-American actors so it's not on my list. To make any of the characters AA would make it an entirely different play.

Also, would we be having this discussion if the best actor for the part was Asian? Might be a good discussion question for class.

John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY