Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Need Help!

Posted 09-11-2019 07:23
    I need your help, theater collegues!
    I need a show appropriate for middle school for a larger cast that isn't baby-ish, but also will satisfy my administration.  I am having trouble getting scripts approved! 
    Thanks much!
    Melissa Jackson

--
    Melissa A. Jackson
    Teacher of Theater and Literacy
    Director- Fall Play & Spring Musical
    609-699-4021 - ext. 6001
    fax:609-699-4022
    BTSD - All Students Achieving 

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email is the property of the Burlington Township Board of Education and is intended solely for the designated recipient(s). The information contained in this email may be privileged and confidential or may be subject to public disclosure. If you are not an intended recipient of this email, the reading, dissemination, distribution, copying or use of the information contained in this email is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email message in error, please email the sender and delete this email message which you have mistakenly received.

• 2.  RE: Need Help!

Posted 09-11-2019 11:30
    Maybe one of the parodies? Or one of the vignette style piece? A Don Zolidis piece would be a good option.

------------------------------
    Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 3.  RE: Need Help!

Posted 09-12-2019 09:29
    I've done Oliver! and Once Upon a Mattress (The Getting to Know You Version)

Just curious...what scripts have your admin rejected?

--
    Erin Philpott
    Drama, Theatre, and Tech Theatre Instructor
    Middle and Upper Schools
    Podcast Teacher
    Speech Teacher
    7th Grade Class Adviser
    Keith Country Day School
    815-399-8823 school
    773-680-3489 cell

• 4.  RE: Need Help!

Posted 09-12-2019 06:10
    Check out theatrefolk. They offer a plethora of choices and some great material.  I directed BOX by Lindsay Price last fall and it was a definite hit with everyone. They even have photos from our production on their website! Good luck!

Garry Tiller
    Theatre Arts Teaching Artist
    Sidwell Friends
    Washington, DC

• 5.  RE: Need Help!

Posted 09-12-2019 06:22
    Look at The Seussification of Romeo and Juliet by Peter Bloedel. R&J as if written by Dr. Seuss.  Great silly fun, accessible to the kids and yet will teach them the basics of R&J.

Ron Sopyla
    Beacon NY

• 6.  RE: Need Help!

Posted 09-12-2019 07:45

Melissa,

Have you considered doing an evening of one-acts?  That way you can find 2-4 strong one-acts that each have fewer players but, en masse, meet your needs cast-wise. If you go this route, there are tons of shows available that meet your requirements. I'd check with Youth Plays, Brooklyn Publishers and Playscripts specifically.   (Oh, and I
    agree with suggestion of The Seussification of Romeo and Juliet! I had a group of kids that had a great time with that one!)

If you are looking for a full-length, my middle school kids had a great time with some of the Agatha Christie mysteries that were dramatized. They are definitely not babyish, and mastering the dialogue- even if you don't try to match the accent was an appropriate challenge.  I think Dramatic Publishing has some of those, but it has been awhile....

Suzanne Katz
    Washington DC

• 7.  RE: Need Help!

Posted 09-12-2019 12:50
    The Phantom Tollbooth
    One Thousand Cranes
    The Best Christmas Pageant Ever

• 8.  RE: Need Help!

Posted 09-12-2019 16:08
    #MelissaJackson

The last 4 years we’ve done:

Oz!
    Secret Garden
    Meet Me in St. Louis
    Mirror Image

All by Pioneer Drama

I had 29 on stage. All were great scripts!

This year my front runner is Imaginary. I have another month to decide but it’s at the top of my short list of 10. On my long list of 210 I’m looking at this year, I’m up to the R’s, so it won’t be long now.

Maria Stadtmueller
    St. Augustine School
    Kendall Park, NJ

Sent from my iPhone

• 9.  RE: Need Help!

Posted 10-22-2019 18:20
    Hi Melissa,

Here is a link that can help you look for a play script. This company provides something like 10 scripts about $10 (I think)... it might help you to browse various scripts and find a good one.

Hope it is helpful!
    Heather

Heather Carrington
    Pinawa MB