Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  New (available online) article - "Active Theatre History"

Posted 07-03-2021 14:53
    Active Theatre History
    Dramatic Approaches to Teaching remove preview
    Active Theatre History
    "Every student I have ever had in a Theatre Methods course believes that a high school theatre course must include Theatre History. The challenge for these future teachers always is-How do you make a Theatre History unit as active and engaging as your other units?"
    View this on Dramatic Approaches to Teaching >

------------------------------
    Rosalind Flynn
    Head of the M.A. in Theatre Education
    Director, The High School Drama Institute
    The Catholic University of America
    Washington, DC
    drama.cua.edu/graduate/MATE
    drama.cua.edu/summer

• 2.  RE: New (available online) article - "Active Theatre History"

Posted 07-04-2021 09:13
      |   view attached
    We do theatre history between thanksgiving and Christmas breaks.  Attached is the project instructions.  This year I have theatre 1, 2, 3, 4 and technical theatre all in one class, so we are going big.

Usually theatre 1 does 20th/21st/Restoration - new theatre because it connects with them more.
    Theatre 2 - Renaissance, Elizabethan, Middle Ages because we study comedia del arte all through semester 1 so they connect to that.
    Theatre 3 - Greek, Roman, Shakespeare because they are more committed to the theatre program and willing to go back through history.
    Theatre 4 - [thinking forward] unions, big national auditions, regional theatres
    Technical Theatre - IATSE, Technical Theatre history issues

Having them do a creative-type project makes their exploration of history fun, a performance (vlog) and gives me an archive of work to pull out in future years.

Chad Cornwell
    Newsome HS, Lithia, FL

Chad Cornwell
    Theatre Director
    Newsome High School

Attachment(s)

• 3.  RE: New (available online) article - "Active Theatre History"

Posted 07-05-2021 12:39
    It seems really limiting to only look at theater from Europe. Asia, Africa, South America all have vibrant and valid theater history.

Shaun Klaseus
    California Educational Theatre Association

• 4.  RE: New (available online) article - "Active Theatre History"

Posted 07-06-2021 10:37
    Thanks for sharing this.  I have done something similar for my Intro to Theater class, but may adapt this for my Advanced Acting class.  I regret that I don't seem to have time to do more theater history; it could and perhaps should be a class on its own.

Kate Bernardo
    Drama Director
    Beaumont School

• 5.  RE: New (available online) article - "Active Theatre History"

Posted 07-05-2021 15:47
    Rosalind,
    Thank you so much for sharing your work with this community. I also believe that history "sticks" if it has practical application. While I have done this informally (i.e. - commedia scenes while learning Italian renaissance, etc.), this is much more intentional and clearly articulated.
    I plan to use your resources! Thanks again,

Katie Blackerby Weible
    Theatre Dept Chair
    Youth Performing Arts School
    Louisville KY