Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Musical Ideas?

Posted 11-11-2020 13:11
    Hello All,
    I'm sure this type of question comes several times a year, so here goes!
    We are looking for new ideas for our Senior School Musical. We have two stellar senior females (guys are all 'meh'), so we planned to do Freaky Friday. Now we are looking to move the production to later in the year so that we can have the show outside (due to covid). Our outdoor space is more of a courtyard, and would play nicely for a Shakespeare show, but we are looking at other musical options. I like the idea of Godspell, but feel that even if we cast the two females as Jesus and Judas, it would not fully highlight their abilities.
    Thoughts??
    Thanks!

Joe Jackson
    Director of Theater Arts
    Sewickley Academy

------------------------------
    Joe Jackson
    Director of Theater Arts
    Sewickley PA

• 2.  RE: Musical Ideas?

Posted 11-12-2020 11:51
    We did Jesus Christ Superstar with a female Jesus and Judas....and all of the disciples....and most of the priests lol. We only had 3 boys, and they were Herod, Pilate, and Priest 3/featured dancer. Having a mostly female cast added a dimension to the story that I absolutely loved. There was absolutely no community pushback, even though ours is pretty evenly split conservative and liberal.

Jodi Disario
    Director of Theatre Arts
    Willow Glen High School
    San Jose, CA

• 3.  RE: Musical Ideas?

Posted 11-12-2020 13:58
    Thanks Jodi!
    I love Superstar, and really wanted to try something like this. I think our community would support it as well.
    Thanks for the suggestion!
    Joe

Joe Jackson
    Director of Theater Arts
    Sewickley PA

• 4.  RE: Musical Ideas?

Posted 11-12-2020 15:11
      |   view attached
    We used a live band for the shows and rehearsal tracks from R.O.C.S. (RightOnCue Services). Then, an hour before our second show, our keyboard player fell and injured his hip and ended up in the hospital. A rep from ROCS walked us through exactly how to convert from rehearsal to performance tracks, stayed on the line until we tested a key change that we had done for "Gethsemane," and gave us his personal phone number in case anything went wrong during the show. It ended up being SO easy! We were able to resume with the live band for the second weekend, but added a second keyboard player.

"Even when the dark comes crashing through-
    when you need a friend to carry you-
    when you're broken on the ground-
    you will be found."
    -Dear Evan Hansen

Jodi Disario
    Drama/English/Theatre Teacher
    Willow Glen High School
    San Jose, CA

Attachment(s)

tiff
    PastedGraphic-4.tiff   13 KB 1 version

• 5.  RE: Musical Ideas?

Posted 11-12-2020 14:05
    Hey Suzanne!

I've seen a lot of schools and theatres using The Singer's Mask made by The Broadway Relief Project. 

Sesame Street has been using the masks for all of their puppeteers since the mask doesn't muffle the sound. They shared their initial sound test, which is really interesting. 

The Notre Dame Music Festival utilized the mask for nearly all of their choirs in a socially distant concert.  Millikin University Choir uses it for their concerts.

Here's a complete production at SUNY Sullivan of LORCA EATS BULLETS in which the entire company wore masks, incorporated them into the show.

Best,

Jeff Whiting

Jeff Whiting