Open Forum

View Only

Minimalist Plays

• 1.  Minimalist Plays

Posted 06-30-2017 20:54
    Hi everyone!

I am going in to my second year of teaching in a  high school where their theatre department was virtually non-existent for the past four years. In a nutshell, there is very little theatre culture that students have, and even less structure. Next school year, I really want to focus on building basic skills without all the glitz and glam of elaborate sets and costumes (we tried that last year and it was a disaster). Can anyone suggest to me some strong, minimalist plays with a relatively small cast? I'm thinking no more than 10 characters. On a side note, my students come from diverse backgrounds (Latino, Black, Filipino, Jewish, etc.) and so any plays that highlight the stories of minority groups would also be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the help!  

--
    Taylour Matz
    English 1-2 and Theatre Teacher

• 2.  RE: Minimalist Plays

Posted 07-01-2017 08:00
    I Never Saw Another Butterfly by Celeste Respanti is done with very minimal sets and one costume per actor. 

• 3.  RE: Minimalist Plays

Posted 07-01-2017 08:40
    You might look into ALL I REALLY NEED TO KNOW I LEARNED IN KINDERGARTEN. Flexible cast, great scene work, wonderful message. It does have some music, but you have the option of cutting it. You can get a performance track CD if you use the music. It's worth a read.

------------------------------
    Rich Luedeke
    Blackhawk Christian Theatre
    Fort Wayne, IN

• 4.  RE: Minimalist Plays

Posted 07-01-2017 08:59
    We performed NO CHILD one time and it was extremely successful. It's a one woman play that can be changed into having multiple characters, and many of them are latino, African American, etc. 

It is based on a true story and is funny, meaningful, and super easy to do. I think your students would enjoy it and might identify, based on what you've said, with some of the characters. 

There is some strong language in it, however, so make sure you are comfortable with that. It fit the characters, so for me, it was worth it. 

Best of luck!

Ashley Ware
    Jefferson GA

• 5.  RE: Minimalist Plays

Posted 07-01-2017 10:55
    Rehearsal for Murder sounds like a great option.  The set is a basic rehearsal space (we did it with a folding table and several folding chairs) with flashbacks to an apartment but you can absolutely keep that minimal as well.  I think the cast is right at 10 with easily accessible roles for high school students.
    I helped open a brand new school several years ago with just freshmen and sophomores, and this was our very first show.  We did it with zero budget, zero set, and costumes from their closets. . . .and did it to great success.  

Good luck!

Annie Rice
    Spring Hill TN

• 6.  RE: Minimalist Plays

Posted 07-02-2017 09:57
    A large cast play with great ensemble work is The Life and Death of Almost Everybody. Warning, its a little out there, but it could be done with no set and minimal costuming if desired.

Jake Dreiling
    Atlanta GA

• 7.  RE: Minimalist Plays

Posted 07-03-2017 16:52
    John Dos Pasos USA is a brilliant piece. It is written for 6 men and 6 women all of whom play multiple parts, but it can easily be distributed among a larger number of players. Minimal sets - a few stools, 4 chairs, a table (but can be juiced with projections if desired) Traditionally, Act I costuming is 1900; Act II is 1920's - but theatre blacks work just as well.

• 8.  RE: Minimalist Plays

Posted 07-04-2017 10:52
    correction. John Dos Pasos USA is written for a total cast of 6 - 3 men, 3 women (not 6 and 6. sorry, that's what happens when I try to post on the fly).

Janet Wood
    Drama Director
    [Columbia High School]
    [Columbia] [PA]

• 9.  RE: Minimalist Plays

Posted 07-03-2017 11:06
    Anatomy of Grey is a powerful play with a small cast and minimalist set. Can't recommend it highly enough! Best of luck to you in your pursuit to lay a new, strong foundation.

Suzanne Maguire
    LCHS Tiger Drama
    Lewis & Clark High School
    Spokane, WA

• 10.  RE: Minimalist Plays

Posted 07-03-2017 16:05
    What is this play about?

Karen Fairbank
    Director, eighth grade play
    Thomas Jefferson School
    St. Louis MO

• 11.  RE: Minimalist Plays

Posted 07-03-2017 19:55
    It might not be what you're looking for, but you can do Too Much Light Makes the Baby Go Blind with no set. https://www.playscripts.com/play/2573
     It's a collection of 90 or so short (2 minutes or less) plays that range from comedic, to dramatic, to just plain weird - you're free to choose which ones you'd like to perform. It's fast paced, and there's some audience interaction (there can be a lot, depending on which mini-plays you choose). It gave us a lot of flexibility as far as cast size, and both the cast and audience had a lot of fun with it.

Ken Buswell
    Drama Teacher
    Peachtree City, GA
    http://mcintoshtheater.org/

• 12.  RE: Minimalist Plays

Posted 07-05-2017 20:13
    Thank you all, so so much! All of your suggestions and insight have been incredibly helpful! Can't wait to start reading! 

--
    Taylour Matz
    English 1-2 and Theatre Teacher

• 13.  RE: Minimalist Plays

Posted 07-03-2017 20:30
    You could do 12 Angry Jurors with just a table and chairs, or Love, Death and the Prom, with just a few pieces of furniture since the scenes are in different places. I really like Almost, Maine because the set is minimal and it is easy to rehearse since the acts all have different performers unless you double up.

Jodi Improta
    Fine Arts Department Chair
    Whitney High School
    Cerritos CA

• 14.  RE: Minimalist Plays

Posted 07-03-2017 20:32
    Juvie would work too...

Jodi Improta
    Fine Arts Department Chair
    Fullerton CA

• 15.  RE: Minimalist Plays

Posted 07-03-2017 23:01
    Wiley and the Hairy Man is very minimalist, and though it is a 'children's story', the opportunity to stretch your performers is awesome (performers create the set with their bodies, the soundscapes of a swampy locale, etc). My intro students had a great time with it and grew immensely. 

'Woman at a Threshold Beckoning' is set in New York, has a Muslim Egyptian woman in it, and the New York setting answers your diversity stuff; we did it with a cast of 25 and used 25 chairs only, which was nice. 

Not sure what your gender makeup is, but the Elaborate Entrance of Chad Deity plays around with racial casting within the world of entertainment wrestling, though again, it's male heavy and might not have a total of 10 parts...and might be considered difficult material...could be done with minimal set...

Antigone could be done with very little set, too, and you don't necessarily have to have a huge chorus: you could just have one or two, and there's your cast of 10. I would abridge the script a little, if you can get permission to do so (depending on whose translation you're using: personally I love Robert Fagles epic style)

To be honest, any play you choose to do can be done with a minimal set. 90% of our productions have been done with barely anything, just because we didn't have all that much cash to throw around and the temptation to create something that's spectacular and awe-inspiring and magical and all that, whilst awesome if you have the money to do it, can be a distraction to a new theatre program (or an established one, for that matter). Concentrate on the performances and skills of the performers first, and worry about elaborate fancy awesome sets later. 'Waiting for Godot' and all Shakespeare have very little in terms of what's on stage as a set, but when performers are well-trained/rehearsed, it doesn't matter how shiny or big the set is. 

Just an opinion. I'd've loved a moving elevator on my stage, just saying.

Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor
    Etobicoke ON

• 16.  RE: Minimalist Plays

Posted 07-04-2017 12:50

I'm going to quote Phillip here, because what he said is so true:

"... and the temptation to create something that's spectacular and awe-inspiring and magical and all that, whilst awesome if you have the money to do it, can be a distraction to a new theatre program (or an established one, for that matter)."

And not just a distraction, but a disaster.

As a set designer, I sometimes have to turn down a job because I know what the company "wants" and "what they can actually do with what they have." Two weeks ago I turned down "Annie" for that reason: a huge stage, a director who wants a Broadway set, a board that wants to come across as top-of-the-line professional, a very low budget, not much in the way of tech support, and, as usual, a very tight schedule. And all because, after all these years, the board still has no conception of how much work goes into a production.

As I often have to say, I'm a set designer, not a magician.

Someone said a long time ago that you only need three things to have "theatre:" A story, an actor, and an audience. That's it. There are lots of plays that fit into this idea. The trick I have learned over the years is to be consistent in the staging and the presentation. If you can't have a "real" set, then don't have a set at all; a door here and a flat there can be far more distracting (and look more amateurish) than a bare stage. Focus on the story and the characters and let the audience fill in the rest. In the case of an acting class, focus on the acting and the characterization. A good actor can carry you anywhere with only his or her voice and something to say.

Want proof? Listen to the actors in the radio plays from the 30s through the early 50's. There's an acting lesson in itself.

George F. Ledo
    Set designer
    www.setdesignandtech.wordpress.com
    www.georgefledo.net
    http://astore.amazon.com/sdtbookstore-20