Open Forum

View Only

Dealing with divisive students

• 1.  Dealing with divisive students

Posted 05-11-2021 10:05
    Two students who have been upset with me for not giving them bigger roles in the past have gone and started their own theatre company. They've used social media and backstage discussions to lure many of my students (cast and crew) to work on their show this summer. They've also used a GoFundMe to get funding for their show/company from the same donors that we use (fine-arts families, community members, etc.) while our school is trying to fundraise to finish our new theater storage space. Anytime I try to talk with them about it, they say that it's innocent and just something fun for them to do, but I'm told my many of my students and other volunteers that they are trash-talking me and my program behind my back. They have plans to do produce their own shows for several seasons, which will very likely continue to compete with ours. I'm completely at a loss with how to deal with this kind of behavior. 

Has anyone else out there has something like this happen? What did you do?

------------------------------
    Tyler Timm
    Director of Theatre
    Lake Country Lutheran High School

• 2.  RE: Dealing with divisive students

Posted 05-12-2021 06:56
    This group will likely burn itself out quickly---unless they have devoted adults who can carry them forward. I would say, ignore them. It might be a difficult season to start but don't play their game. Tell them "to go for it" and sit back and watch developments. IF you plan a summer show---choose something simple and with a large cast so that your team will grow. If they are as petty as they appear, they will implode. Devote yourself to nurturing your group and their parents who will strengthen your school's program. 

Ginnie Bullis

C. Milton Wright High School

Teacher: English 11, Drama

Speech & Debate Coach

STARS/SADD Sponsor

410-638-4110

ginnie.bullis@hcps.org

• 3.  RE: Dealing with divisive students

Posted 05-13-2021 09:11

This did not happen to me, but it did happen to a friend of mine. The parents were "professionals" who were aghast that their daughter was not the lead in everything.  They started their own theatre, sunk a ton of money into lights, sound, staging, etc.  They lasted a couple of years, and went under. Most people don't have the foggiest idea of how much it takes, monetarily as well as time and planning, to run a successful program.

Myndee Fleury Washington

Music & Drama Teacher

Union Park Charter Academy

She/ Her/Hers

• 4.  RE: Dealing with divisive students

Posted 05-12-2021 08:07
    Wish them well and keep your focus!

Garry Tiller
    Theatre Arts Teaching Artist
    Sidwell Friends
    Washington, DC

• 5.  RE: Dealing with divisive students

Posted 05-12-2021 08:11
    As much as it may hurt, I would try to embrace this in every way possible.

--
    Mark A. Zimmerman
    Theatre Director,

The Akron School for the Arts
    Firestone Community Learning Center
    470 Castle Blvd
    Akron, Ohio 44313

330-761-3275

FirestoneTheatre.com

Board Member, Ohio Educational Theatre Association
    NE Ohio Area Representative
    Workshop Committee
    Displays/Vendors Committee

• 6.  RE: Dealing with divisive students

Posted 05-12-2021 08:54

I'm with Mark on this one. Though their initial objective may have been in response to not getting the opportunities they thought they deserved in your shows, they are simply making the opportunities they feel they deserve for themselves; which is what any artists would do if they had the means. I have no doubt that things are probably said behind your back that may be hurtful. The only advise I can give is to not play into it. Act your part to the best of your ability, and know that your support will not go unnoticed by those who have supported your students and their new theatre company. Be on the first row of their first show and shower them with kindness and support. Let whatever they are saying about you be disproven by your actions and support. As Mark mentioned, it will be the hard thing to do, but I know from experience it will be me the most rewarding.

Kudos to you for training kids who now how the confidence, gumption, and desire to make their dreams become a reality. No matter how bitter or upset those kids may be in the roles they received while under your tutelage, the skill they are using in the present came from you and your program and they cannot change that.

Many blessings and best wishes,
    Erick

• 7.  RE: Dealing with divisive students

Posted 05-12-2021 09:54
    I agree with the responses given thus far. Running a successful theatre company is a lot harder than it may seem. Without reliable & dedicated adult supervision, it will be hard to sustain. Have you tried speaking to your admin about this? Maybe they could get involved. You could also try reaching out to the parents to express your concerns (hopefully they're not as scored as their kids are about the smaller role assignments).

Susan Nieten
    Theatre Teacher, Spring Play Director,
    & Thespian Troupe Director
    at Noblesville High School (Noblesville, IN)

Twitter: @mrsnieten

• 8.  RE: Dealing with divisive students

Posted 05-12-2021 10:55
    Wish them well.  As others have said, we all know how much work it is to do what they want to do.  

Let them know you are there for them if they need anything.  Even offer to lend them stuff if they need it.  But make them sign a contract with an adult regarding the use of such items.  Because that's what it's like in the professional world.

If they have the drive, it'll be a success.  If not it'll fizzle out.

I know the comments they may make can be hurtful.  I'm finally just rid of some of that toxicity myself in my own program.  This too shall pass.

Raymond Palasz
    Auditorium Director/Director of Theatre
    Munster High School

• 9.  RE: Dealing with divisive students

Posted 05-12-2021 11:13
    Thank you, everyone. Your support means the world. You also make some great points! After all they say "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery," so I guess I can at least tell myself that I gave them a love of the craft.

Tyler Timm
    Director of Theatre
    Lake Country Lutheran High School

• 10.  RE: Dealing with divisive students

Posted 05-12-2021 13:19
    A few years ago, a disgruntled member of a student acapella group at the school where I taught decided to go start her own group.  She found a few members, but they never managed a performance that I heard of.  The challenges of finding rehearsal space and performance space, not to mention a piano, microphones, sound engineer, etc., were more than a bit of pique could give them the energy to work through.

Smile, wish them luck, but don't give them any more help than you would give to any other theatre group, and under the same arrangements.  If you normally rent costumes, then give them the usual price if they come looking for costumes. 

I agree with Amy about clearly defining the reasons you are fundraising.  Perhaps make a program-type brochure, including your mission statement, listing your Thespian officers, and very clearly articulating the amount of money needed for very specific projects.  You can send your active participants out to local businesses to make the first contact.  List your own contact information in the brochure.  Ask the students to list businesses where they have dropped off brochures, then make a second contact as you have time to do so.  

CJ Breland
    Retired Theatre Arts Educator

• 11.  RE: Dealing with divisive students

Posted 05-12-2021 11:19
    I would say use it to teach your students that it isn't about quantity, but about quality.  If you need to have a few shows that are smaller casts because some students are choosing to work with the other group, then focus on doing a high quality smaller production.  If you lose some of the tech and stage crew, use it to train new students in those skills.  If the other program succeeds, then I would say it's one more outlet for the arts in your area and that's a good thing.

As far as the bad mouthing, be the bigger person and ignore it if you can.  As for the fundraising, I would reach out to your sponsors and give them as much detailed information about what you need the funds for as possible.  If the other group is just asking, they will likely give to the one with the most clarification and structure.

Amy MacCord
    Musical Theatre Teacher
    Westwood Middle School

• 12.  RE: Dealing with divisive students

Posted 05-13-2021 07:02
    I agree with many of the other comments, it's not the old days of Mickey and Judy being able to do a show in a barn, setting up a company comes with many stipulations from the city/state for putting on a performance and if at all selling tickets, I would wish them luck, I would also refer them to resources to help them...text books on all aspects of theatre as they will be overwhelmed once they realize everything involved. I hope you will be supportive as possible which will overcome any thoughts of you being the bad person, maybe they will succeed, but unless they begin paying staff it will be hard to keep the group up, if even they can get a first show produced.

Jerry Onik
    V.P. Theatrical Supplies and Equipment
    Heartland Scenic Studio
    Omaha NE

• 13.  RE: Dealing with divisive students

Posted 05-13-2021 07:22
    Regardless of their motivations, these students have been trained and inspired by your teachings. I think Mark said it best when he suggested you embrace the situation. Support them in word and deed. Allow them to rent costumes and props with an adult cosign and supervision. If they mount a performance, show up! Be seen by your students and their parents. Give them a standing ovation. Any back channel gossip or trash-talking will soon pass, for it will only make them look petty and untruthful in the face of your demonstrations of support. 

I always support my kids doing outside work and attend as many shows as I can with flowers in hand. "A rising tide lifts all boats" to paraphrase the Chinese proverb. I can honestly say my program has only grown stronger by supporting the various outside artistic ventures of my students.

I hope this helps.

Will Eyerly

William J. Eyerly, Ph. D, Ed. D
    Director of Theatre K-12
    The Village School of Naples
    Executive Director
    Gainesville Association for the Creative Arts
    Fort Myers, FL

• 14.  RE: Dealing with divisive students

Posted 05-14-2021 07:46
    I would offer them support but at the same time I would be careful about announcing my season. I would not be surprised if they did a play or musical that you were planning to do the following year.

John Perry
    Retired Theatre Teacher

• 15.  RE: Dealing with divisive students

Posted 05-16-2021 09:49
    While it seems like a vendetta, and a good way to get back at you  in all likelyhood,  they will have a lot of trouble starting their own company once they realize how difficult it is and how expensive!! They will have difficulty getting rights to the shows that they want to cast themsleves in, and will alienate the students when they start making casting choices that the others don't agree with. Reality Bites