Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Updating a setting for a Dramatist Show

Posted 07-30-2017 17:05
    I was wondering if anyone has had luck receiving permission to change the setting for a Dramatist show. I'm doing The Crucible this Fall and would love to put it in a contemporary setting but the license says that you can't change the setting. I'm going to write them, because it can't hurt to ask, but I just wanted to see how good my chances are. Thanks!

• 2.  RE: Updating a setting for a Dramatist Show

Posted 07-31-2017 10:05
    My sense is that this is a non-starter.

• 3.  RE: Updating a setting for a Dramatist Show

Posted 08-01-2017 13:17
    One way to honor the licensing agreement as well as highlight its contemporary message is to have a suggested set rather than a realistic one. For example, use projections, have free standing window and door frames, etc.

------------------------------
    Lori Constable
    Teacher; director of Drama
    Independent District 112
    Chanhassen MN

• 4.  RE: Updating a setting for a Dramatist Show

Posted 07-31-2017 11:40
    I did my thesis on directors' rights in reinterpreting dramatic material, and sadly Beckett and Miller were the two authors who routinely sued theatres where anything was changed. Since Miller's passing that may have changed, but I doubt it. On the other hand, Trinity Rep in Providence did a fabulous version with few actors playing multiple roles, including men playing some of the girls. I loved it and it definitely took the play out of the staid, talk-y place it is in, and allowed for creativity in staging. They did use a more modern skyline as a backdrop and a mostly empty stage with minimal Puritan costuming. Check it out. I'm sure they have educational materials through their Project Discovery program.

Sent from my iPad

• 5.  RE: Updating a setting for a Dramatist Show

Posted 08-01-2017 06:03
    Never hurts to try....the recent revival was a contemporary setting in a school-type setting.

http://www.playbill.com/article/critics-review-broadway-revival-of-the-crucible-com-384633

Lynda Gibson
    Jr. Troupe 88305
    Flushing MI

• 6.  RE: Updating a setting for a Dramatist Show

Posted 08-01-2017 19:12
    Molly,
    I have no answers but think it is ironic that the Crucible was a clear comment about the Washington DC Witch hunts when it was written. So if you can't change "the setting", maybe there is another way as suggested, with contemporary ways to create the puritanical setting ( is there a requirement for wardrobe?, or graphics? maybe make the visuals in the marketing very contemporary-like a contemporary newspaper, having a very contemporary student do a news interview with a period character for your FB/youtube promos etc. Having interactive texting with audience on a projection) Hope you get to manifest your creative vision.

Lisa Dalton
    Fort Worth, TX
    National Michael Chekhov Association, Pres, Certifying Master Teacher

• 7.  RE: Updating a setting for a Dramatist Show

Posted 08-02-2017 01:46
    Yes, it is possible to get permission to change the year the show is set in.  We got permission to update the dates and currency values for "Museum" this past spring.  I sent a pdf of a letter I had written to Tina Howe, the playwright, explaining the rationale to Dramatists in an email, asking them to forward it to her.  I had to email a reminder, then call directly, to get them to send the pdf letter on to her, but then she responded immediately that she was "absolutely thrilled" that we wanted to do that.

BUT, there is no way I would ask to do that for "The Crucible."  Arthur Miller used the Salem witch trials to make the point that that situation was analogous to the naming demanded by the House Committee on UnAmerican Activities.  In an educational setting, there is so much there for the history teachers to cover in classes.  Our English teachers and U.S. History teachers have been super supportive the two times we have produced "The Crucible."

C. J. Breland
    Asheville High School
    Asheville NC

• 8.  RE: Updating a setting for a Dramatist Show

Posted 08-07-2017 23:03
    I echo C. J.'s sentiments. When Crucible was written, it wasn't a contemporary piece. It was written as a period piece to comment on contemporary issues. Not only would it be a disservice the play itself to change the setting, I believe you'd be doing a disservice to your cast and audience. Watching Theatre should not be a passive process. It's audiences job to make those contemporary connections. By you doing the work for them, you're robbing them of a major part of their experience.

Hugh Fletcher
    Performing Arts Coordinator
    IS 229 Dr. Roland Patterson Middle School
    Roosevelt NY