Open Forum

View Only

Failing Grades

• 1.  Failing Grades

Posted 02-13-2017 08:36

I'm having a real problem with my troupe kids failing my classes.  I have talented kids who work hard on productions, but then they don't do the work for the classes and fail. It breaks my heart and then I have to explain it to administration and parents. I've lost a couple of great kids because they don't want failing grades on their report cards, but don't want to do the work. One of my leads for our spring production is about to be pulled by his mom due to his failing grade. 

Am I the only one in this stinky ship? What do I do? Do I lower my standards and expectations for the course? Is it too much to ask them to do a script analysis and a live performance analysis each quarter? SMH.  Thoughts?

Rebecca Rajswasser. M.Ed.

Forest High School
    English I; Intro to Drama; Acting I-IV

Director, Troupe 3069

671-7400; 58562

[Florida has a very broad Public Records Law. All correspondence sent to or from this entity is subject to the Public Records Law of Florida. Email communication may be subject to public and media disclosure upon request. Under Florida Law, e-mail addresses are public records. If you do not want your e-mail address released in response to a public-records request, do not send electronic mail to this entity. Instead, contact this office by phone or in writing.]

~An Equal Opportunity School District~

• 2.  RE: Failing Grades

Posted 02-13-2017 09:13
    I'm in the same boat. I don't have a lot of grades, since most of them are long term projects, so when the quarterly script report isn't turned in, or the bellringer journal was ignored and gets turned in last-minute with half of the entries finished (all in one night's frenzied work), one or two bad grades sting hard.

I do try to offer the occasional make-up opportunity to pull up suffering grades, but I've found that the ones who do extra credit tend to be the ones who don't need it.

Several students seem to sign up for theater because they think it will be an easy A and all fun-and-games, then have a rude awakening when they're expected to learn things and take risks.

I'm still working on a solution - the best I've come up with so far is to try timing big assignment deadlines so they don't conflict with those of other classes, so the work doesn't take second place to an English theme or a Pre-Cal test.

Open to any other suggestions. Thanks for bringing up this heart-wrenching topic.

------------------------------
    Josh Kauffman
    Teacher
    Winfield AL

• 3.  RE: Failing Grades

Posted 02-13-2017 10:05
    You are definitely not alone in this. The problem seems to be, for me, that the kids are willing to work in the lower level classes, get a strong foundation and then rest on their natural talent and the foundation to carry them through the class and any competitions or performances they do. I haven't found a really good answer...

Right now my advanced kids have a daily reflection journal for the class (it's only 5 questions). If they don't complete all 5 questions it's a 0% for the day (for participation) and, if they do complete it, I grade the questions. Just turning it in isn't enough to earn the points. I can share these with you if your want. They have choices based on acting or teching and rehearsing or observing. I haven't had any blow back from parents or admin so far...

I also have a set rule in my department, any student may make up any assignment (until they are satisfied with the grade earned) as long as it is not a 0% for cheating or it is not the midterm or final. I've found that this puts the responsibility straight onto the shoulders of the student (where it belongs). The parents are informed (when I make phone calls about the low grades) that the students have the opportunity to redo any assignment or performance grade, as many times as they like, and until they are satisfied with the score. I find that very few students actually take advantage of this opportunity and it gives the helicopter parents no leg to stand on when it comes to complaints to admin. It's really hard to blame me when the student has been given the ability to make up the missing points and chooses not to.

Another thing I'll do is have the kids work on the missing assignments when the rest of the class is doing something that's geared in a "more fun" manner. (Because when would we not be having fun in our classes *sigh*). Sometimes I'll work with the kids on acting exercises or let them test out "directing" using me as the actor. It's very popular, and it's unavailable if you are missing assignments in the class.

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 4.  RE: Failing Grades

Posted 02-14-2017 11:40
    I wouldn't mind seeing your reflection journal, Shira.

Thanks!

Ryan Moore
    Theatre Teacher and Forensics Coach
    Royal Oak MI

• 5.  RE: Failing Grades

Posted 02-14-2017 09:58
    I dealt with this problem for a long time when I first started our program, but it seems to have improved dramatically.  I started making both them and their parents sign a contract making it clear the expectations for grades and the consequences.  I e-mail all the teachers and ask for them to let me know if any drama student is not doing work in their classes.  If I become aware of a student struggling, I take them aside and remind them of the consequences, which are as follows: First failing grade-Student must collect any missed work from teachers to complete during a rehearsal while an understudy performs his/her role.  This really seems to help as the kids hate to see someone else doing the part they feel is "theirs."  Second failing grade-Student is out of the current play entirely.  The contract states that "due to rehearsals not allowing them enough time to study, they will be removed from the production."  Also, if a student fails drama class, he/she will not be cast or crew for the next semester's production.  I had to make some really hard choices on this early on, but six years later, it's paid off.  I rarely have this problem anymore.  Good luck!

Chelsea Petty
    Columbus MS

• 6.  RE: Failing Grades

Posted 02-14-2017 10:35
    This is a problem here as well. Many of the students in my Beginning class think there should be NO work as this is an elective. I explain that this is a class and in a class they are required to learn new concepts and ideas. Many do not do the daily bell work, even though it is open notes from what we did the day before. Many refuse to do anything outside of class. I think this is endemic in society. Causes? There are myriad.
    As far as shows go, I seldom have understudies, so I have allowed some students to finish a show even though they are failing a class. I'm going to do smaller cast shows next year so I can have understudies and follow through on the grades.

Ellen Di Filippo
    Tracy CA

• 7.  RE: Failing Grades

Posted 02-14-2017 11:54
    You're not alone. I'm having the same issue. A lot of my Theatre 1 kids think that this is an easy credit class and wonder why they are getting Fs when they don't put forth the effort.

As for my older kids, I usually allow them to turn in paper assignments late with no penalty (nothing the week before grades are due though). Projects are 5 points off for each day that they're late (this usually prompts them to be on time). Performances can only be made up if someone in their group is absent (and it MUST be the next day that they're all together). 

Sometimes I allow alternative assignments if they're unable to attend a live performance for some reason (work isn't an excuse because they know MONTHS in advance; family matters and illnesses are different). 

I put everything on THEM. Especially my seniors. I don't hound them about their grades. It's up to them to come to me.

Heather Cribbs
    Theatre Director
    New Smyrna Beach High School
    New Smyrna Beach, FL

• 8.  RE: Failing Grades

Posted 02-14-2017 12:08
    This is a battle I have fought for my 42 years in the classroom.  Here is my take.  Do with it what you will...
    • No, absolutely do not lower your standards.  I require my students (even my beginning classes) to do a play review every two week on a play they have read.  I give them the first 10 minutes of class every day to have reading time so they can't complain they were too busy.
    • During production time, I monitor my students' grades in all their classes, not just mine.  If at any point during the early production process a grade dropped below passing, the student was put on "probation" and given 10 days to bring the grade up.  If the grade did not come up, s/he was removed from the show.
      • Final grade check is normally done about two weeks before opening.  If they are failing and it is too late to replace them, I don't pull them, but, they are told they cannot participate in the next production in any capacity.
      • Yes, you can shoot yourself in the foot but doing this.  But... in the past 10 years I have pulled three different students from shows.  It lets the rest of the kids know I am not bluffing and really stresses the importance of academics.  

• This practice validates my program and my position with my administration and faculty, and teaches kids to budget their time and not procrastinate.

Hope this helps.
    Terry

Terry McGonigle
    Director of Theatre
    Alma AR

• 9.  RE: Failing Grades

Posted 02-15-2017 08:27

There are some really wonderful ideas, here!  As this is only year two for me, and we are just rebuilding, I've been lucky to even be able to cast my shows, let alone have understudies. This is the first time I've been able to have them, and it's really amazing.  It's the first time I've been able to use the line that always worked for me when I was in high school: "You are all replaceable."  It was never true before, but it finally is this time.  It kind of freaked the kids out. And I have already "fired" one student, so I think they know how serious I am.

I hadn't thought about brining that to grades, however. I was only dealing with behavior and compliance during rehearsals and around the show (line memorization, attendance, etc.).

Food for thought, for sure!

Rebecca Rajswasser
    Teacher
    Ocala FL

• 10.  RE: Failing Grades

Posted 02-16-2017 10:07
    A few questions to consider:

• How often are you giving feedback - do kids know that they're not doing well in time to fix it?
    • Are there clear remedies if a kid is failing (like makeup assignments or alternate ways to show what they know that may or may not include written assignments)?
    • How are you responding to diverse learners - do any of these kids have an IEP and could benefit from modified assignments?
    I understand your frustration and disappointment!  I find it helpful at times to question the utility of my grading system - is it serving as point of feedback between myself and the kids, or has it become punitive?  Is there a way to balance rigorous expectations (which you should not abandon!) with fostering and maintaining your students' love of and confidence in the arts?  Does failing a kid have a useful result?

I hope that's helpful!

Bryce Cahn
    Theatre Arts Teacher
    Tompkins Square Middle School
    New York, NY

• 11.  RE: Failing Grades

Posted 02-17-2017 13:14
    My Theatre I classes have many, many separate grades on many, many small assignments.  The online gradebook points students and parents directly to what they are doing or not doing. 

Above Theatre I, all classes are production classes.  I use a rubric to award daily grades on a weekly basis.  I put marks on my attendance sheet to indicate when a student seems really off-task.  There are larger grade chunks given for assignments like completing dramaturgical research, being off-book on time, submitting the mandatory play report on independent reading every three weeks and live performance critique once a semester. There are several ways students can make up grades: work days on Saturdays, reading additional plays, etc.

I very, very rarely have a student make less than a C in any course Theatre II or higher.  I credit that to the fact that I teach a rigorous Theatre I class that introduces them to everything we do later in small doses.  There are always some failures in Theatre I, and usually a good spread of grades, so they either decide to go on or self-select not to register for more theatre classes based on the grades they understand were based on the work they did.  

C. J. Breland
    Asheville High School
    Asheville NC